BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Vancouver to Athabasca, AB best route?

5K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  David Morrow 
#1 ·
Hi,

I need to go to Athabasca around the 10th of June, could someone offer the best/safest route? Also will the route be ride-able during mid-ish June...?
I haven't planned anything yet as I have no clue what the weather conditions will be up there during June, I'd like to go through the Icefields Pkwy if at all possible.

Any tips are more than welcome.

PS The longest trip I've done so far is 100km one way, know this will be a big jump but I'm pretty confident about the distance, will most likely be taking a break every 500km or so. Also hoping this forum ain't dead and gone lol

#31 ·
As soon as I get insurance on the CBR, I'll be out doing day rides. I have a friend in Vernon who will likely meet me for coffee somewhere and I can pass the tank along to him. Or you can join us. Probably meet in Osoyoos or Cache Creek. I just checked and the spare tank isn't the one with the FJR bag profile but otherwise is the same size and similarly shaped. Best to email me direct : fjr AT ldrider DOT ca

Reactions: Squisher
#34 · (Edited)
When I rode down to Barber, I handed them the keys to the bike and all of my riding gear then flew home. It'll be on display one of these years. There will be 3 or 4 bikes together called the "Million Milers" or something like that.

I have some Apex riser bars on order but the world is working at a glacial pace and my bars are in some UPS black hole at the moment. And I have to get a longer front brake line so that may take a while.

I feel bad that we have so badly hijacked this thread. I started a new one over in the Sport Touring section if anyone would like to chat about such things.

Touring on a CBR1000RR ?

#35 ·
I have some Apex riser bars on order but the world is working at a glacial pace and my bars are in some UPS black hole at the moment. And I have to get a longer front brake line so that may take a while.

I feel bad that we have so badly hijacked this thread. I started a new one over in the Sport Touring section if anyone would like to chat about such things.

Touring on a CBR1000RR ?
bar risers - that was all that Stuart (RHD) did of significance.

as for the hijack, there's so little going on on the site that it hardly matters. 'topics' are pretty open... people will find whatever they need, easily. not the 'buzz' of a FB site, but there are some seriously experienced and 'useful' riders on here still. not quite 'dead' yet...

#36 ·
and, further to my 'memory' from the earlier post, if anyone wants to relive the Appalachian tour that Scott and I did in May 2016, here's the link:

(let the hijack continue!)

btw, the day after we toured Barber, we dropped into lovely backroads in Georgia, and had one of the finest moments of the trip when we raced a freight train to a crossing and ripped across, over and pretty big hump, with the horn blaring in the background. in fact, it wasn't super-close, but it felt like being a stunt star in a movie! delicious! damn, that was a great trip...

#38 ·
btw, the day after we toured Barber, we dropped into lovely backroads in Georgia, and had one of the finest moments of the trip when we raced a freight train to a crossing and ripped across, over and pretty big hump, with the horn blaring in the background. in fact, it wasn't super-close, but it felt like being a stunt star in a movie! delicious! damn, that was a great trip...
Good times indeed. A quick glance back at you, and you immediately knew what was going to happen next.

In hindsight, i think we should have spent more time in Northern Georgia. That area around Dahlonega had perhaps some of the best mix of scenery, windy roads, and great pavement.

#39 ·
Myself, I would just ask my phone to give me the best route from Van to Athabasca. I've done the Van to Merrit and on to the Fraser canyon ride, which gets me to Kamloops and then stayed in Blue River. I've also gone the #5, which is faster (140kmh), but boring. I've stopped in Edsen for a rest and eaten in the restaurant there. Really decent food.

#40 ·
A few years back a group of us spent our first day riding to Blue River and did a great route. Far better than Hwy 1 and the Coquihalla.

• Vancouver to Cache Creek via Duffey Lake.
  • Cache Creek to Little Fort via 70 Mile House, Green Lake, Bridge Lake. From 70 Mile House you need to be careful to watch the road signs to stay on the paved route but this route is beautiful and quiet.
  • Alt : Cache Creek to Little Fort via 93 Mile House, Hwy 24, Bridge Lake
  • Little Fort to Blue River

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.