BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Resident Banana
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been looking for new gear. I've pretty much decided to go with the Vanson gear from BK. I like the jacket/pants as opposed to the one a two piece suits. So heres the thing....

The Cobra Perf is $799 because of the canuck buck:( . I'm also looking at the Sport Tech pants as well. I would be purchasing both for about $1200 to $1300 with taxes. Now thats a hell of a lot of coin. I haven't asked Trevor for any type of a discount as of yet but will. It doesn't hurt to ask;)

I've bugeted for this, but am looking for any other options.

What do you guys think....am I nutz?


atom
 

·
Resident Banana
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pants
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20 Posts
I know that Vanson has a good name and all, and if you want the all black look, then that's cool.. but I prefer suits with a little more flair, I don't think you'd have to spend anymore money than you are.

My two bits.. :)
 

·
space for sale
Joined
·
501 Posts
if you ever plan to do track days, get a 2pce suit that zips 360 degrees around the waist. You'll be doing yourself a favour due to the added protection (less chance of coming apart), and saving money because of another perchase of a suit for track days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
The Vansons a tough suit to beat, but you may wanna call Imperial cycles. They have 2 piece joe rocket leathers, they have decent armour and knee pucks, these can be used for track days zipper all the way around. The price was $700 and they come in all black I believe. Thats the suit I am getting, but first I must find a damn bike, damn its so much easier buying a new bike:tredmill
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,195 Posts
I also second the proper full circle zip idea. You don't have to do it up but at least you have the option.

And Adam, What's wrong with basic black? At least you don't need to get a new set whenever you change your bike color that way..............

Also the perfs are a GREAT idea but IIRC that particular jacket has a liner that only has a couple of zipper vents inside the chest area. From my experience with my perf jacket those simple zip vents won't do enough on a hot day. Go for a perf jacket that has an overall mesh fabric liner instead. And on my jacket most of the cooling air comes in from the arms and along the side of the chest. But maybe that's the over protectivness of the Kawi fairing coming into play...... :D For cooler days just put a rain jacket on over the leather jacket. That's worked like a charm for me.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
Nice stuff, I really like da pants.... If you have the coin, then by all means.... but if you start second guessing yourself before and after you buy it, then I would go with something else because that is a big purchase.... well, unless money has no meaning to you and you have lots to give :) In fact, feel free to donate any cash to me :) :laughing :laughing
 

·
Resident Banana
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I think I'm going for it and I'm going to bite the bullet. I like the full waist zipper too but I don't think I really need it. I don't see myself doing any trackdays in the near future (fear of crashing my only bike). Most of my riding will be around town and our BCSB getaways. If I do end up getting another bike for the track or get brave enough to take my daily bike out, I'll buy proper leathers for that. Probably something a few years old and a pretty wacky color. If its for the track, I can't see getting the newest and hottest colors.

I love the Vanson gear and do want the black. I'm not really into the flashy leathers myself. I figure if I decide to buy these, It'll be good for years anyways. Now to find out about the hard armour and knee pucks. I can't remember if he said they were included or not.
 

·
space for sale
Joined
·
501 Posts
it's funny the perception you guys have of the track. IMHO the chances of crashing while riding the streets far surpasses the chances of crashing on track.

On the street you have cars, pedestrians, sand, oil, crap, garbage, dogs, cats, children etc to worry about. In the event of a crash, you have all the above, plus trucks, curbs, poles needles and stuff you can crash into.

The only reason you would crash at the track is because you did it. There is none of the above reasons to blame, except you. When you crash, all you have to worry about is where you're gonna land (always safe), and how much your bike is gonna be damaged. Most crashes, people just pick up their bikes and go for more laps (re Kit).

I understand where you guys are coming from, I was like that before I attended a track day, but now I know what it's really like.
 

·
Resident Banana
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SMZ said:
it's funny the perception you guys have of the track. IMHO the chances of crashing while riding the streets far surpasses the chances of crashing on track.

On the street you have cars, pedestrians, sand, oil, crap, garbage, dogs, cats, children etc to worry about. In the event of a crash, you have all the above, plus trucks, curbs, poles needles and stuff you can crash into.

The only reason you would crash at the track is because you did it. There is none of the above reasons to blame, except you. When you crash, all you have to worry about is where you're gonna land (always safe), and how much your bike is gonna be damaged. Most crashes, people just pick up their bikes and go for more laps (re Kit).

I understand where you guys are coming from, I was like that before I attended a track day, but now I know what it's really like.
I realize that there is a lot less to hit but I'm more worried about the "what ifs". What I'm afraid of is laying down my daily driver. I'd hate to have to go out and buy new plastics. I can't afford the sharkskinz yet, I'm doing the leather thing first. After that, who knows.....maybe I'll get brave and chance it. I'd just perfer to have something that I cared less for than the gixxer to take to the track. Fixing a track bike over a two month period is better than parking my daily for 2 months. i really do want to hit the track, but financially, it doesn't make sense for me. I'd definately like to see you guys haul much ass around the track. Maybe if I watch a track session my mind may change. When are you guys going out next are where? Do you guys go to mission as well?

atom
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,114 Posts
also dont forget, if you crash on the streets, you have Mr. ICBC to take care of your repairs, but if you crash on the track, well.... lets just say it's you own damn fault :) :laughing :laughing and you better have the cash to do the repairs.... which is one of the main reasons I'm not taking my gixxer out, I dont have the cash to fix it if I ever crashed it.
 

·
space for sale
Joined
·
501 Posts
I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I am saying that the chances of crashing are HIGHER on the street. And the damage caused by crashing on the street will cause more damage than crashing on the track.

Kit crashed at over 80km/hr last time I was with him in spokane, and he picked the bike back up with only cosmetic damages. Now think of the best street you ever ride on, and think of the inconsistencies of it (oil, animals, kids, cars), and think about where your bike would end up in the event of a get off.

So I really dont buy you're arguments that you definitely will crash on the track. the track is the safe haven for bikes, not the street. ICBC covers everything that is a non-race event. As long as you're not in competition, and you're not being timed, you should be ok. If I crashed in spokane and needed plastics, I wouldn't go to icbc anyways, cause my insurance would increase much more than the cost of new plastics (non-OEM).
 

·
Resident Banana
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SMZ said:
I think you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I am saying that the chances of crashing are HIGHER on the street. And the damage caused by crashing on the street will cause more damage than crashing on the track...

I gotcha now SMZ. Before I do hit the track though, I think I would purchase the Sharkskinz first. But I'd still perfer a track bike in any case. It would ease my mind not fearing the worst. I just don't feel comfortable taking a daily rider to the track. As much as I'd like, I don't think that the track is in the cards this season. Maybe next season...

Thanks for the input...

atom
 

·
K1200S
Joined
·
255 Posts
atomlowe said:
Hey guys,

I've been looking for new gear. I've pretty much decided to go with the Vanson gear from BK. I like the jacket/pants as opposed to the one a two piece suits. So heres the thing....

The Cobra Perf is $799 because of the canuck buck:( . I'm also looking at the Sport Tech pants as well. I would be purchasing both for about $1200 to $1300 with taxes. Now thats a hell of a lot of coin. I haven't asked Trevor for any type of a discount as of yet but will. It doesn't hurt to ask;)

I've bugeted for this, but am looking for any other options.

What do you guys think....am I nutz?


atom
Vanson is top quality gear. I’ve “tested” my 2-piece suit twice and both times they held up very well. My friend who also wears Vanson walked away from a terrible crash that involved both impact and sliding.
I have the full perf jacket and pants and a regular jacket. I also purchased the optional back protector, knee, elbow, hip and shoulder pads. Vanson prices have risen quite a bit over the last 4 years but if I ever have to replace them, I’ll buy Vanson again. I’ve often wondered why Vanson zippers do not zip the full 360 degrees. For such a high quality and expensive suit, you expected better than just a half–zip :mad.
In case you haven’t noticed, Vansons tend to be quite stiff, especially the non-perfed jacket.
 

·
Resident Banana
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Vanson?....Options?

Almost40 said:


Vanson is top quality gear. I’ve “tested” my 2-piece suit twice and both times they held up very well. My friend who also wears Vanson walked away from a terrible crash that involved both impact and sliding.
I have the full perf jacket and pants and a regular jacket. I also purchased the optional back protector, knee, elbow, hip and shoulder pads. Vanson prices have risen quite a bit over the last 4 years but if I ever have to replace them, I’ll buy Vanson again. I’ve often wondered why Vanson zippers do not zip the full 360 degrees. For such a high quality and expensive suit, you expected better than just a half–zip :mad.
In case you haven’t noticed, Vansons tend to be quite stiff, especially the non-perfed jacket.
Thanks man.... thats it, I'm gettin it. I guess I'll order them this week:D .
 

·
Resident Banana
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay guys....last question:

I can't decide if I should get the full perf or half with the air curtain? Is the full perf worth it for really only 3 months out of the year? Is the air curtain a scam and doesn't allow proper ventilation? Someone want to help me out. I'm looking at going into BK tonight and ordering it...

atom
 

·
K1200S
Joined
·
255 Posts
atomlowe said:
Okay guys....last question:

I can't decide if I should get the full perf or half with the air curtain? Is the full perf worth it for really only 3 months out of the year? Is the air curtain a scam and doesn't allow proper ventilation? Someone want to help me out. I'm looking at going into BK tonight and ordering it...

atom
I have the full perf and regular jacket. The full perf is only good when it's sunny and very warm. It's too cold for morning and evening rides and touring. If you are just going to buy one jacket, then get the air curtain model. You'll get more use out of it.
 

·
Resident Banana
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well that was fun....:rolleyes . Just got back from BK and did not buy them. Trevor checked on the pricing for the new sport tech pants....$700. So thats $1500 for the jacket and pants without armour and taxes. Looks like I'm looking for something else now. I had budget'd $1300 complete, but it just too much now. I'd love to have it, but I can't justify it. Alot of it has to do with the canuck buck getting stomped on. If I came into some money then I'd be there in a second.

I guess my quest for leathers continues......suggestions?
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top