BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's the result of a failed Voltage Regualtor on my CBR600 F2. Turns out they are very prone to overheating and failing. The new version includes a built-in heatsink, but it still got pretty hot so I took BMathews' advice and added a computer fan.

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
hehe, overclocking your bike?
:thumbup

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Lookin' good.

I'm gonna have one for mine by the next track session.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
dn_zx7r said:
What is this whole unit for exactly?
The voltage regulator controls your alternator to provide the right amout of power. Some of the components in it have a lot of current flowing through them, and get hot. The fan is to keep them from over heating.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
That's the voltage rectifier and regulator. It normally gets quite hot from dumping the excess power from the alternator. Not a very good design. They have a reputation for going "POP" at the worst times. The heatsink addition just ensures that it keeps it's cool.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for sounding stupid, but.

Don't bike come with these already? Or have you added extra components so you need a different one?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
dn_zx7r said:
Sorry for sounding stupid, but.

Don't bike come with these already? Or have you added extra components so you need a different one?

Thanks.
No problem. Honda couldn't get it right so you're certainly excused from being puzzled....

The plate you see the overall unit mounted to is actually aluminium and is supposed to act as a free air heatsink. And that's all the bike comes with.

But overly hot conditions and slow riding will hinder airflow over this area so the regulator gets too hot for too long and before you know it the heat blows a component or the stress of multiple heat growth cycles fatigues a connection and then the part goes "poof". Apparently Honda figures that a couple or three years of is enough lifespan for us. I tend to disagree though....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BMatthews said:

No problem. Honda couldn't get it right so you're certainly excused from being puzzled....

The plate you see the overall unit mounted to is actually aluminium and is supposed to act as a free air heatsink. And that's all the bike comes with.

But overly hot conditions and slow riding will hinder airflow over this area so the regulator gets too hot for too long and before you know it the heat blows a component or the stress of multiple heat growth cycles fatigues a connection and then the part goes "poof". Apparently Honda figures that a couple or three years of is enough lifespan for us. I tend to disagree though....
Um, yeah . . . what he said . . . But seriously it was a fun little add-on. BMathews knows his stuff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts