BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Vote for your favourite adventure touring bike (sub 750cc)

• BMW F650GS Dakar ABS

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • 2007 Suzuki DL650 ABS (Wee-Strom)

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • KLR 650

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • KTM 640 Adventure

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • Ducati 620 Multistrada (too $$ to take off-road!)

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Aprilla 650 Pegaso Trail (fat chance of that coming here!)

Votes: 6 5.6%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at getting a new bike for 2007 and I'm thinking of an adventure sport/light touring bike under 750cc's

I'm looking for something that's a 70/30 pavement/logging road mix so dual bikes like Honda's XR650L are not really in the mix.

Given that we have so many logging roads here it's really too bad we can't get more bikes here like Honda's TransAlp, Africa Twin, or the Aprilla Pegaso.

Feel free to add your comments/suggestions :2cents

Vote for your favourite

·
ride a lot
1,822 Posts
This good ol' KLR650 isn't too different from XR650L, is it?

·
Registered
489 Posts
The F650 GS Dakar is named this way because of BMW's victories in the Dakar rally.

IMO, if it's good enough to win an off-road racing competition, it'll be more than good enough for your logging roads.

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
The Wee-Strom is the way to go. It's road-biased, but do you really think 30% of your riding will be off-pavement? If you're going to spend that much time off pavement, I'd go with a thumper.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure how much off pavement I'll actually do. I'd like to spend some time up north next summer touring some of the backroads and not have to turn around when the pavement ends. About 15 years ago I spent 4 years treeplanting all through the north and I'd love to see some of that scenery now; perhaps head back up to the Yukon via the Dease Lake rd.

Personally I've always liked the beemer but for the price I think there are some others that can compete with it (such as the wee-strom). Plus lately I've heard that the beemers are prone to mechanical problems (but that might just be the boxer engines) -it's just too bad the wee-strom is so fugly! (but then again I'm not looking at the bike when I'm riding it and it would less likely be stolen!)

·
Registered
260 Posts
you could always wait for one of these - the VerSys... coming soon to a Kawi dealer near you... cheaper than a Beemer and practically a clone of the F650GS. more street oriented though...
...and besides "ugly" is all relative. i'm usually laughing at how "ugly" my DR650 is as i rail around an S curve with my foot out SuMo style... :evilgrin :laughing

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
If you're going seriously deep into gravel roads and easier trails and you're talking about hauling gear on a trip I'd really suggest the KLR. It's got the advantage of having a cheap purchase price compared to the Beemer and it's dead reliable to boot. It's not a performance sort of machine as in speedy but it'll "Jeep" you around pretty much whereever you want to go and not complain. Not having expensive and shiney paint to worry about means you'll get more out of your holidy riding and less worry about scratching something. And cheap aftermarket plastics are redilay available for repair or pre-emptive replacement before the Big Trip.

However the other choices are all far better street bikes. The KLR only wins if you're talking about a healthy amount of off roading.

Oh, the KTM would be wonderful as well but it looses based on price. It's also hard to say how reliable it will be out in the bush. If the Katoom motard reputation is anything to go by I'd definetly say KLR over the KATOOM! any day.

And there's folks that make those big aluminium carry boxes and racks for them for the KLR's as well. Basically they are huge metal frame sliders that greatly reduce the amount of knee bend you need to bring the bike back to upright after a fall. And as a bonus they hold a TON of crap!

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
I vote v-strom, toss some more dirt oriented tires on there, and you have a winner.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Pfft, ya can't tour on a 750 or less, DL 1000 VStrom

·
Behind the great firewall
448 Posts
there really isn't a lot of difference between an Aprillia Pegaso and a BMW F650GS. They use the same engine, transmission and stuff. Used to be built in same factory. They use the same Bombardier/Rotax 650 single used in the Bombardier DS650 quad.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Bang for the buck?
KLR650.
Minimal investment leaves boucoup dollars for suspension upgrades, doohickey replacement, and robut Happy Trails panniers.
And, it will go 75 miles an hour on the freeway all day long, and frankly, with a Mayer seat, is a pretty neat way to go.
Something about that long travel, plush suspension shrugging off the rigours of pavement duty.
I was pleasantly surprised.
Dealers are everywhere, parts are cheap and the aftermarket is ready for you.

If it's more street, than trail, then the Wee-Strom is developing a healthy following, but frankly, I'd go for the V-Strom instead, of the 650.

But still and all, the KLR650 first.

·
Formerly FURY
2,731 Posts
The Wee Strom is the best all rounder off the show room but not that great in the muck. But if you do some upgrades, it could prolly do what the Dakar can and be more reliable.

I pick the KLR for it's simplicity, proven reliabilty, range, and price. It's ugly, and long in the tooth, but for $6000 out the door new, you can't go wrong.

My ultimate dual sport would be the Honda Africa Twin 750 followed by a Yamaha XTZ660 Teniere.... of course not sold here.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I pick the KLR for it's simplicity, proven reliabilty, range, and price. It's ugly, and long in the tooth, but for $6000 out the door new, you can't go wrong.
Exactly. And with some judicious shopping, they can be had for $5000!

·
My bike has Baggage :)
351 Posts
Pfft, ya can't tour on a 750 or less, DL 1000 VStrom
Wanna bet?!

Taken yesterday just north of Manzanita OR. It's the 'wee strom' :rockon

I'm currently on my way to AZ and taking the scenic route.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
The F650 GS Dakar is named this way because of BMW's victories in the Dakar rally.

IMO, if it's good enough to win an off-road racing competition, it'll be more than good enough for your logging roads.

I've owned an F650. They're poop on logging roads. Check out the new KLR.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts