BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
9,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've started down the rabbit hole of handheld communicators and realize this could take a long time as there are so many diversions.

Need:
Ability to communicate through/around/over obstructions like buildings, hills etc.
Easy to use
Under $200 for a pair

Like to have:
Waterproof (an 8 year old will probably drop it)
Rugged (an 8 year old will probably drop it)

Educamacate me? Or at the very least, direct me to a reliable source where I can narrow down my options?

Example: Motorola T600 Waterproof....seems to fit the bill, but reviews tell me the range is horrible if there are any line of site obstructions

https://shop.motorolasolutions.com/t605-rechargeable-2-way-radios/product/T6B22201GWCAAG

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
So I've started down the rabbit hole of handheld communicators and realize this could take a long time as there are so many diversions.

Need:
Ability to communicate through/around/over obstructions like buildings, hills etc.
Easy to use
Under $200 for a pair

Like to have:
Waterproof (an 8 year old will probably drop it)
Rugged (an 8 year old will probably drop it)

Educamacate me? Or at the very least, direct me to a reliable source where I can narrow down my options?

Example: Motorola T600 Waterproof....seems to fit the bill, but reviews tell me the range is horrible if there are any line of site obstructions

https://shop.motorolasolutions.com/t605-rechargeable-2-way-radios/product/T6B22201GWCAAG
It's hard to beat a cellphone these days.

The bubble pack FRS/GMRS freq radios are OK if you're horsing around in the woods with no stakes.

You can find programmable marine/pilot hand held radios from eBay or Amazon (probably) but you will run into issues with their power output and the fact they they can have longer antena's swapped on. Not so smart folks will program them to transmit over other working channels and draw the wrong kind of attention. I've never heard of anyone getting caught but it makes the 40 over enforcement folks seem downright friendly.

Folks I know out here in the forestry industry have fixed radios in their vehicles but when they're in crown land on weekends they're on their phones.

·
Registered Luser
2,113 Posts
I'm gonna pick up some bubble pack specials for the little whiners this year. some el cheapos with the carging cradle I think.

everything is pretty much line of sight only, so over ridges and such is not happening. buildings are ok as long as they aren't big steel, concrete affairs.

if you want some serious power at a drop-kick-it-into-the-garbage price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_9?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00MAULSOK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=TFzoR&pf_rd_r=6GC6YZZAASW3298M0N1C&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=MvLm7&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=e671b138-f1c2-11e8-8581-ff357aa136b3

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
I'm gonna pick up some bubble pack specials for the little whiners this year. some el cheapos with the carging cradle I think.

everything is pretty much line of sight only, so over ridges and such is not happening. buildings are ok as long as they aren't big steel, concrete affairs.

if you want some serious power at a drop-kick-it-into-the-garbage price:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_9?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00MAULSOK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=TFzoR&pf_rd_r=6GC6YZZAASW3298M0N1C&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=MvLm7&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=e671b138-f1c2-11e8-8581-ff357aa136b3
Doesn't that radio require a license to operate here? cheap as it is, a person could get into serious shit without an operators license.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
I use Cobras at work.

they're pretty damn good, we use 'em in parking lots can do 1 or 2 floors across an entire building
but if there's a body of water in between reception does go down a bit..

this is when working across two buildings with fountain in-between so its pretty rare. i think these
tick all the boxes you're requesting. Yes i've dropped them from atop a 6-10 foot ladder several times :thumbup

they're very much affordable too! :coffee

https://www.costco.ca/Cobra%C2%AE-CXT1035R-FLT-Floating-2-way-Radios.product.100299743.html

Product Details
The new Cobra floating radios perfect for your next hike, camping trip or other outdoor adventure. The CXT 1035R FLT 2-way radios come pre-charged and ready to use out of the box and have a max performance range of 60 km (37 mi). The radios' compact design and rubberized grip make them easy to carry in wet and dusty environments and even if you do drop them in water, their floating and waterproof design make them ready for anything you or Mother Nature can throw at them.

Features:

Range of up to 60km (37 mi) *
10 weather channels
Weather alert
10 call tones
Built-in LED flashlight
Rewind-Say-Again® - replay missed radio calls and automatically records the last 20 seconds of incoming audio
Floating design and orange core makes retrieving the radio easy if dropped in water
Waterproof – meets IPX7 standards; submersible for 30 minutes in one meter deep water
Ultra-clear long distance reception
2,662 channel combinations: Available when the 22 channels combined with the 121 privacy codes (38 CTCSS/83 DCS), these combinations prevent interference from other radios
Patented VibrAlert® to notify of incoming transmissions
Roger beep tone (selectable): Confirmation tone indicating the completion of the user transmission
Auto squelch: Automatically shuts off weak transmissions or unwanted noise due to terrain or range constraints
Speaker/microphone/charger jack: Allows use of wall charger, or earphone speaker/microphones (not included) for hands-free operation
Scan channels/privacy codes: Allows the user to scan either channels, or privacy codes within a channel to locate conversations in progress
Activated key lock: For key pad security eliminating accidental channel changes
Maximum range extender: Overrides auto squelch for extended range reception
Keystroke tone signal (selectable) confirms key activation
Battery saver circuitry: If there are no transmissions within 10 seconds, the unit will automatically switch to battery saver mode
VOX: The user's voice is detected and the radio transmits without the need to press any buttons. Several VOX sensitivity levels allow the user to select at which point the radio will detect their voice.

What’s Included:

2 Cobra® CXT1035R FLT GMRS/FRS 2-way radios
6 rechargeable NiMH batteries
1 AC adapter to micro-USB cable
1 two-port dock charger
2 belt clips

Specifications:

Dimensions including antenna (W x D x H):
6.1 cm x 3.8 cm x 19.1 cm (2.4 in. x 1.5 in. x 7.5 in.)

Model: CXT1035R FLT

*Range will vary depending on terrain and conditions.

·
Registered Luser
2,113 Posts
Doesn't that radio require a license to operate here? cheap as it is, a person could get into serious shit without an operators license.
I don’t stay at shitty holiday ins but I did read a review of it. *
Apparently you just zap some north ‘Merica spec firmware on there and you can pick ur power, 1.5w frs levels or 5w and stick on gmrs channels or go for broke and tell the local constibulatory that you own the airwaves now.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I don’t stay at shitty holiday ins but I did read a review of it. *
Apparently you just zap some north ‘Merica spec firmware on there and you can pick ur power, 1.5w frs levels or 5w and stick on gmrs channels or go for broke and tell the local constibulatory that you own the airwaves now.
As I always like to say; "don't tell your mom".

·
Registered
8,222 Posts
We used to have a set of Motorola's we used in the ski hill. Four of them to cover 2 adults and 2 kids. This was many, many years ago and they worked great. Whether we were on opposite sides if the hill, someone was in the lodge and regardless of weather .... great kit. Anything now is going to be exponentially better.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Doubt they’re licensed to operate in Canada, but if you pick your frequencies carefully you’ll probably*be ok. But better to get something like bacchus40 suggested.*

·
Registered
368 Posts
Doubt they’re licensed to operate in Canada, but if you pick your frequencies carefully you’ll probably*be ok. But better to get something like bacchus40 suggested.*
yeah you do...

i have the same radio use it for traffic on FSR's.. saved my bacon more than once.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
We used to have a set of Motorola's we used in the ski hill. Four of them to cover 2 adults and 2 kids. This was many, many years ago and they worked great. Whether we were on opposite sides if the hill, someone was in the lodge and regardless of weather .... great kit. Anything now is going to be exponentially better.
i have a set of Motorola's as well.. the Cobra kit i've got now is better :thumbup

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Just spoke to someone who actually knows what he is talking about.
He says these are the thing.

i dont know much about walkies anymore.. i only make use of them. the boss payed for these, and they work great!

i admit i have no clue what half the options mean, i push the button and finish every sentence with 'over' and '10-4' :coffee

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
bringing back this old thread.. had a funny moment with my walkie's about a week ago..

couldnt find the charger, must've been left behind onsite.. turns out these little fvckers have USB
chargers on 'em!! plug right in to samsung speed charger and away you go :thumbup

now that's convenient

:laughing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts