BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey BCSB, new on the forum. I've recently run into some trouble after buying some gear from Carter. Bought a pair of Speed and Strength textile overpants from these guys two months ago, which ripped after three weeks of use at the pant leg. Didn't trust this bit of safety gear, so I brought them back in hoping I could exchange for something else. I was then told they could not do so under any circumstances, and that they must send the pants back to the supplier for assessment. Three weeks later, I haven't heard a thing and I have had to commute daily in my one-piece suit because I take the highway. After telling them of my predicament, they suggested I buy another pair of pants while I wait and I could sell the pants I returned, whether it be repaired or replaced, on Craigslist.

I have waited for them to process my warranty claim longer than I have owned the actual pants. They cost me $220 after tax. Is this generally what happens in these types of situations? Can't say I've ever had this problem before with any product of any kind, and my patience is wearing thin.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i don't think there is any problem with the way Carter handled it, they can't possibly stand behind gear like this, when they have no idea how its been treated or worn, although i guess they could have done a direct exchange if the pants show no signs of being ripped from impact. However, i feel like the supplier should definitely stand behind their gear, and make this right. However, i've always been lead to believe that Speed and Strength is a pretty budget brand, at best, so i personally wouldn't expect too much from them. Sucks in your situation, i guess live and learn?

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
So lacks strength in it product and speed in its warranty claims

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Carter doesn't warranty the gear, the manufacturer does. Carter is stuck in the middle. It probably has to go through Motovan or Royal distributing as well!

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I bought a pair of alpinestars gloves from carter 2 years ago,Within a week, the stitching came apart, I returned them and was told the same thing, Supplier had to assess the gloves.10 months later, nobody had any idea what was happening with the gloves, so in the end, the parts guy said, " sorry about all the wait, I don't know what's going on, so how about you just pick a replacement pair and we'll deal with it ourselves "They didn't have the gloves in stock, they upgraded me to the GP plus at no extra cost.Sloooooowwwww, but the resolve was awesome.

·
Registered
151 Posts
speed and strength problem. Contact them and if they anything like Joe Rocket they will fix it right.
A few years ago i bought a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 5 pants (from Patterson Suzuki) and after about 9 months one of the
zippers on the pocket broke. A few months later the other pocket zipper broke. I contacted Joe Rocket just to inquire about getting
them fixed (and me paying)

Joe Rocket did not fix them. Instead they sent me a brand new pair of Ballistic 7 pants for free. The only thing i had to do was send in the
Ballistic 5 paints for them to inspect. (After i had the Ballistic 7)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Matthew from Carter called to tell me my pants are back. Guess three weeks ain't that bad compared to some of you guys. Next time, I would like to talk to the supplier directly cause obvs Carter can't do anything in these situations. On the other hand, though I'm not an expert, the supplier should credit Carter for another pair of pants if a customer returns something on a warranty claim. That way the customer isn't left hanging without safety gear for however long it takes to inspect damage (shipping back and forth, etc). Or, maybe I could just deal with Speed and Strength directly?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I feel you dude. And I'm glad it got sorted but that's a problem with all warranty claims.. you get left hanging for quite some time, some times.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Update: Matthew from Carter called to tell me my pants are back. Guess three weeks ain't that bad compared to some of you guys. Next time, I would like to talk to the supplier directly cause obvs Carter can't do anything in these situations. On the other hand, though I'm not an expert, the supplier should credit Carter for another pair of pants if a customer returns something on a warranty claim. That way the customer isn't left hanging without safety gear for however long it takes to inspect damage (shipping back and forth, etc). Or, maybe I could just deal with Speed and Strength directly?
They will credit them the pair of pants, which in turn will credit the customer... once the warranty process is done, which can be a wait. The result is, if you want to ride in the
meantime, you needed to buy another pair of pants to ride with.

If they credit you and send the pants back to the manufacturer who denies the claim, then the dealership is out of pocket.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
As a retailer, usually these things are easier to pass back to the customer and have them deal with the manufacturer directly. That being said, at least in my line of work, I usually take care of the customer directly because the warrantee process of dealing with the distributor/manufacturer is rarely done in a reasonable time frame. As above, doing so also runs the risk that I'll absorb the loss and it can be a really expensive service to provide.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. I think passing the buck back to the consumer is a bit of a cop out. I deal with local vendors for the support and personal touch that's available. If I wanted to deal direct, I would just buy online and call it a day. I know that Carter didn't manufacture the pants, and there's clealy several factors at play here. But at a glance, they should be able to tell if they've been down, or mis-used. In my opinion, stand behind what you sell, or don't sell it.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
So you folks are going to head to a shop and buy all the used pants that got traded in? It's not a lending library for clothing.

Why not stitch it yourself, or take it to a tailor?

Why not own more than one pair of pants so it's not the end of the world if you want it sent back to the manufacturer?

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
What happens to the used pants after the cross shipment?

Will you buy them at full pop?

Does the maker just throw them out (and triple the regular price to make up the losses)?

What do some of you people do for a living? Trust fund?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
To answer the first question with a mildly vague answer, the same thing that happens with a regular warranty exchange.

What do some of you people do for a living? Trust fund?
Sadly no, otherwise I'd be riding RC51's with Archer in the Danger Zone.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
Ripping your pants isn't usually a "warranty" though.

I have a PhD in reading between the lines and without photos I have to conclude that the OP snagged the pants on some obstruction and pulled a seam. Then when they were damaged buyers remorse kicked in and he decided to get something else.

So in this case a repair to said garment would be the norm.

·
Registered Luser
2,121 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. I think passing the buck back to the consumer is a bit of a cop out. I deal with local vendors for the support and personal touch that's available. If I wanted to deal direct, I would just buy online and call it a day. I know that Carter didn't manufacture the pants, and there's clealy several factors at play here. But at a glance, they should be able to tell if they've been down, or mis-used. In my opinion, stand behind what you sell, or don't sell it.
this guy. he knows stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts