BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· 41 over!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experience with unpaid tickets in Washington State? I was pulled over Feb 1, 2008 in my car and got a ticket for 73mph in a 60 zone (forgot about the 60 zone). I never paid the ticket (It was the first one I had ever had in WA in 23 years of driving down there). They sent me a few pieces of correspondence in the early months, threatening all sorts of things, and I still never paid. The correspondence stopped last summer.

I've been back and forth across the border numerous times since then both as a driver and passenger, with no issue being raised or even mentioned.
Anyone else have any experiences similar or different?

· Registered
8,733 Posts
Next time the Washington police stop you and they run your licence,
You get a free all expenses paid trip to the crowbar hotel.

Pay it.

My dad got that trip in Florida from a 5 year old unpaid speeding ticket.

· my username in Filipino
298 Posts
Any experience with unpaid tickets in Washington State? I was pulled over Feb 1, 2008 in my car and got a ticket for 73mph in a 60 zone (forgot about the 60 zone). I never paid the ticket (It was the first one I had ever had in WA in 23 years of driving down there). They sent me a few pieces of correspondence in the early months, threatening all sorts of things, and I still never paid. The correspondence stopped last summer.

I've been back and forth across the border numerous times since then both as a driver and passenger, with no issue being raised or even mentioned.
As I mentioned in a different thread... PAY IT!... It will eventually catch up to you..

One unlucky day in the border and they will ask you to pay it plus Interests or else no crossing... maybe not now, not next week but someday... My uncle was asked to pay his ticket in the border over 10 years later 30 times the original ticket amount.

Refer to this thread:

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113707

· Registered
285 Posts

You probably have a warrant out for your arrest. If you get pulled over, you're going straight to jail. You may want to pay it and get it over with.

· Ridin hard n dirty
4,084 Posts
Pay it!!! we went to the supercross a few years ago, one guy had not payed a ticket from years ago...we all got detained in a nice little room for hours while they searched the car...looking for any reason to lock us up...he got kept while we were allowed to continue on...when we got back we found out he had a nice cavity search and was put on "file" so if he ever was to try to cross again he would be locked up. Even after paying he had to get a lawyer get some kind of a "pardon" to get it so he can go back to the USA...

Just because of him we all got put on some kind of data base that associated us with him...

· 41 over!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since Feb 2008 when I received the ticket, I have crossed the border at least 10 times. Since June 1, 2009, I have had an Enhanced Driver's licence where they actually swipe your info straight into their computer. Since then, I have crossed the border once in June, twice in July and once in August with no questions whatsoever, even though they have swiped in my info and sat staring into their computer.

Thanks for all of your dire warnings.

Anyone else who hasn't paid their tickets and nothing has happened?

· BCSB Public Relations
10,347 Posts
Since Feb 2008 when I received the ticket, I have crossed the border at least 10 times. Since June 1, 2009, I have had an Enhanced Driver's licence where they actually swipe your info straight into their computer. Since then, I have crossed the border once in June, twice in July and once in August with no questions whatsoever, even though they have swiped in my info and sat staring into their computer.

Keep on boasting. Feb 2008 was less than 2 years ago. Wait another couple years until some magical deadline runs out and you get added to some "priority" list.

· This space for rent
2,102 Posts
Let's skip ahead to assuming somebody or another gives you an example of not paying and they haven't been sent to jail yet. In fact, let's pretend I didn't pay a ticket, and I haven't been sent to jail yet. The 6 pages of dire warnings in this (and the referenced) threads haven't helped you decide what to do yet?

· Not wearing pants.
3,610 Posts
As I mentioned in a different thread... PAY IT!... It will eventually catch up to you..

One unlucky day in the border and they will ask you to pay it plus Interests or else no crossing... maybe not now, not next week but someday... My uncle was asked to pay his ticket in the border over 10 years later 30 times the original ticket amount.

Refer to this thread:

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113707

Pay it!!! we went to the supercross a few years ago, one guy had not payed a ticket from years ago...we all got detained in a nice little room for hours while they searched the car...looking for any reason to lock us up...he got kept while we were allowed to continue on...when we got back we found out he had a nice cavity search and was put on "file" so if he ever was to try to cross again he would be locked up. Even after paying he had to get a lawyer get some kind of a "pardon" to get it so he can go back to the USA...

Just because of him we all got put on some kind of data base that associated us with him...

Total and complete bullshit.

You'll have no issues crossing the border with something as inane as a minor speeding ticket. If you have a felony offence, that's a different story, but 73 in a 60 doesn't constitute a felony charge. And yes, I'm speaking from actual experience, not some bullshit passed-down story from a friend of a friend.

· Swivel on it
11,676 Posts
They don't check that stuff at the border, so that's why you're getting through. Commit a federal crime and you're hooped though.

As there's an arrest warrant out for you, if you get pulled all the cop will see is the fact there's a warrant, not what it's for, so be prepared to have a gun shoved up your arse by a cop with an itchy trigger finger. Pay the ticket asap .....

· Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
It's unlikely you'll get detained at the border for a driving offense, however you will have a warrant out for your arrest in the state of WA if you don't pay your ticket.

The next time you're pulled over for anything in WA, you'll be arrested and brought to county jail where you'll be required to pay the ticket.

I know that you'd rather hear that you can get away without paying it, however this is fact.

So, don't pay it and take your chances whenever you enter WA. Since two months has expired and you're no longer eligible to take the ticket to court you can pay the ticket and have peace of mind the next time you drive (or passenger) in the state of WA.

· Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,244 Posts
Why not pay the ticket in pennies? Seems that's what people do lately ;)

· my username in Filipino
298 Posts
Total and complete bullshit.

You'll have no issues crossing the border with something as inane as a minor speeding ticket. If you have a felony offence, that's a different story, but 73 in a 60 doesn't constitute a felony charge. And yes, I'm speaking from actual experience, not some bullshit passed-down story from a friend of a friend.
Not a passed down story.. I crossed the border with my uncle when we were stopped.. We had to turn back because of him refusing to pay his ticket from the 90's. Original ticket was $35... with interests he was asked to pay over $1000..

Just talked to my brother two minutes ago... He tried to cross the border today.. and GUESS WHAT?? he was asked to pay on the spot for his speeding ticket from last May...:banghead:banghead

I'm pretty sure I wasn't completely high when I crossed the border with my uncle and I don't think my brother will call me roaming to make-up a story..

Yah so no BS in my story.

But if you think my stories are BS.... feel free to cross the border with unpaid speeding tickets.. like I said Not now, not next week but someday... they will get you......

· Registered
8,733 Posts

Looks like you've already set your mind on not paying it.
It will catch up to you eventually, post up the details when it does please.

· 41 over!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kinda funny how many posters come across as ranting about their point of view, including the one poster who suggested I was "boasting". I'm not sure how I was supposed to relay the facts without "boasting". The facts are that I got a ticket 18 months ago, I've crossed the border several times since then, and nothing has happened.

I'm just curious to hear about others' personal experience(s). The most logical post has been that if I get pulled over again, I'll get taken to the local county jail and made to pay the ticket. Even that poster suggested that the police would "stick a gun up my arse."

· Registered
179 Posts
Ok this has happened to me Monday 17 09 got pulled over in my truck coming back from Portland for speeding. Let me start by saying an diabetic and my sugar levels were high your asking yourself what does that have to do with anything, well when your sugar levels are high your breath smells sweet like you been drinking. As soom as he pulled me over he asked if I had been drinking I said no. he took my DL went to car came back asked me to get out. In the mean time two other cruisers pull up, they surround me and give me there test you know follow my pen dont move your head eyes only, walk a straight line heel to toe ect. ect. ect.

Then the fun starts they tell me my license has been suspended for an unpaid speeding ticket and has been suspended since march 08, over that period of time i must have crossed the border over 50 times.

He then tells me to put my hands behind my back and cuffs me telling me am under arrest as driving with a suspended license is a federal offence, then am lead to the back of cruiser were they read me my rights
the cuffs are digging in my wrist I asked then if they could loosen then up he says to me there not made for confort he did let me use my phone to text a friend to let then know what was happening.
as I was with a co worker coming back he did let him drive my truck as they took me to the crowbar hotel were they booked me. then gave me a breathalizer test as i passed both the feild and breathalizer test with flying colors they agreed to let me go with a speeding ticket and a nice court date, on septenber 8 failure to apear will result in a warrant for my arrest.

Now heres the kicker as soon as I returned home I found the ticket it was issue in march 06 and I had the receipt that I paid for it.

So in closing do what you want.

· Registered
2,224 Posts
i have a few outstanding tickets in the u.s.

wash, cali, and a missed court date in hawaii back in '90 for an open liquor(not dui) and no seatbelt.

it didnt seem to hamper my application for a nexus card, so i HIGHLY doubt it will pose a problem just crossing.

if tickets were a grounds for refusal of entry, you would think it would show up on the nexus screening?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts