BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Registered
2,224 Posts
The issue isn't whether you can cross the border or not ... it's whether you can royally fubar'd if you get pulled over with an invalid licence. ;)
I think the OP was asking if there was any issues crossing the border with outstanding tickets, and what experiences they have had.

But yes, i would agree that getting pulled over by state police would be potentially a different scenario.

· 'Busa girls, God love 'em
5,950 Posts
They don't even wait for you to pay... it goes straight to collections agency... you get a registered letterwith a 200 u.s. processing fee on top of your ticket

yes I paid 300 us for a 90 dollar ticket

they don't fuck around...sleep well

· Registered
408 Posts
i think the rules have changed a lot in the last couple decades. i got a ticket a month ago, "american speeding ticket" i posted up. i ended up paying it at the 14 day mark. But with reading all i have, it seems that the people who got the ticket back in the 90's, seem to have gotten away for the most part. although i have heard from horror stories. but i think as it stands now, they are getting closer and closer to sharing records between BC and washington state. i wouldnt test anything.

· Registered
794 Posts
Then the fun starts they tell me my license has been suspended for an unpaid speeding ticket and has been suspended since march 08, over that period of time i must have crossed the border over 50 times.
Just curious, how can they suspend your license in the US? If your license had been suspended, wouldn't ICBC be sending you something to tell you?

· ninja machinist
3,104 Posts
They can consider your licence invalid. I doubt it's very difficult to do this. From reading this and many other "speeding tickets in the states" threads my opinion would be to pay it asap. Why risk it?

BTW: This thread is full of useful information but some of the posters can't communicate with proper english and grammar worth a damn. It's headache inducing to say the least.

· 41 over!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I just got back from a 1700 km trip all around WA., Aug 23 - Aug. 27. I wish I could tell you that I was taken into a 8 x 8 cell, they stuck sodium penthanal up my ass, and I had to play truth or dare with a topless 25 yo female border guard.

But nothing happened. (again)

My wife got stopped by a State Patrol aboard a bike registered to me (cop thought she was speeding in a forest fire zone) He checked out the registration. I pulled up alongside. No comment from the cop other than, "Is he with you?"

He had no actual evidence of her speeding other than she had caught up to him in a 35mph zone. He let us go with: "have a safe ride".

If anyone is going down to Winthrop this weekend and wants to see a forest fire still burning, Highway 20 between Twisp and Okonogan re-opened on Aug. 26. 10,000.00 acres burned, parts of the blacktop melted away, pretty cool sight. Watch out for the SP monitoring speed through the fire zone!

· 41 over!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Back and forth across the border this week for a Vegas trip. No trouble.

· This space for rent
2,102 Posts
This sounds more and more like a 'I just bought a litre bike as my first ride - should I keep it?' thread. And we'll say "No, not a good first bike'. And then you'll say "but I haven't binned it yet". And then we'll get tired of wondering why you asked us in the first place, and we'll stop caring if you ride an R1 or skateboard.

More interestingly, did your wife cross over with you in August knowing that you had an outstanding ticket that could have sent you to jail?

· 41 over!
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And you sound like the "Somebody is wrong on the internet" crusader.

I'm just reporting the facts for interested users. Despite the hyperbole of many posters on this thread, (yourself included) we're at 21 months now.

Weird how you'd be worried about the sitch with my wife.

· backslider
11,387 Posts
inferences and suppositions ...

I suggest to the modeators and site operators, after reading this OP, that there is a new, permanent thread category put up under the heading "Boneheads and Idiots" ...
:laughing

· Three hour tour guide
8,765 Posts
Yes what others have said, pay the ticket, it will bite you in the ass eventually, but that'll be your problem...

· awful human
3,142 Posts
The reality is it's (probably) just a matter of time till you have to pay, but there will be those that "slip through the cracks" so to speak, I hope you are among the latter.

I have a kind of similar story. I will make it as short as possible.

Another infamous board member was with me when this happened. Names have been excluded to protect the guilty.

-Made round trip to Laguna Seca to see the MotoGP in 2005.
-Coming home got stopped by the cops in northern California
-Cop was a super dick, rude / arrogant
-Cop radared my buddy behind me who fell back and was fiddling with ipod, gassed it to catch up.....nailed
-I was the only one pulled over out of four riders. Was third in the pack.
-charged me with excessive. (90+ mph in 60 zone) I was doing about 65 in a 60.
-rest of trip was fine, home OK
-wrote letter to court explaining situation in detail, sent payment for a regular speeding ticket.
-they wrote back saying they got my letter, but I still owed them x number of dollars.

Have crossed the border many times since then, no problems in five years. I don't think they'll pursue me any further because I actually did send some money to settle the debt, but............ you never know do you???

later,

Dave R.

· Registered
361 Posts
Found this on thw web -

My son received a speeding ticket while visiting the State of Washington five years ago. We live in BC. Is there a statute of limitations on speeding tickets issued in Washington State? Is it possible he would be arrested if he tried to enter the state of Washington?

The US Customs and Border Protection site gives information on your son's type of situation. They answer the question "Will I be arrested when I re-enter the U.S. if I have unpaid traffic tickets?"

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) consumer center answer is that they strongly advise you to pay your traffic tickets, particularly moving violations. While unpaid tickets would not subject you to arrest unless a warrant is issued, you may be subject to a more intensive inspection if your record is not clear.

So it does not appear that your son would be denied entry or arrested at the border however he may be put under more scrutiny by the CBP. If your son drives in Washington State and is stopped by law enforcement then it is likely he would be arrested. Normally if you do not pay your traffic tickets then you are convicted in court for failure to pay or failure to appear on the citation and an arrest warrant is issued.

We are not aware of any statute of limitations for traffic tickets for any state. If that was the case people would just wait out the period and not take care of their tickets or court dates. Instead what happens is if you fail to pay the ticket or appear in court to take care of the ticket there then you are usually found guilty by the court and given the penalties for the violation. If you then fail to pay the fine or otherwise take care of the penalties assessed for the traffic ticket by the court your driver's license or driving privileges are suspended by that state until the ticket is taken care of.

Normally states will send tickets that go unpaid to collection agencies that will find you and hound you for the fine amount, plus now also late fees and collection fees. So it is important to take care of traffic tickets outside of your area of licensing if you plan to ever go back to that area again.

One Washington District Court states that you must respond within fifteen (15) days of the date that a traffic ticket was issued. An infraction is not a crime, but failure to respond can result in the suspension of your driver’s license.

A failure to pay or respond to the ticket within 15 days results in an order that the infraction was committed. If you asked for a hearing and do not appear your payment is due immediately. When an infraction is not paid in a timely manner or a hearing missed, a $52 late penalty is added to the amount shown on the ticket. Your license may then be suspended if the penalty is not paid following a notice to pay the increased penalty, and the account may be assigned to a collection agency.

While your son may not be held at the border or arrested for just entering Washington State, if he is stopped by police and they find that he is driving on a suspended license, due to the failure to pay the ticket from 5 years ago, then he could be written up for driving on a suspended license.

RCW 46.20.345 which states that any resident or nonresident whose driver's license or right or privilege to operate a motor vehicle in this state has been suspended or revoked as provided in this title shall not operate a motor vehicle in this state under a license, permit, or registration certificate issued by any other jurisdiction or otherwise during such suspension or after such revocation until a new license is obtained when and as permitted under this chapter.

A person who violates the provisions of this section of WA law is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. In Washington state gross misdemeanors are punishable by up to one year in jail and/or up to a $5,000 fine.

If your son knows the county where he received his ticket he may want to contact that courthouse to see how to take care of this old ticket. If he does not remember then he may see if the WA Department of Licensing (DOL) could help him clear up this old traffic infraction so that if he goes to Washington State he will not have any issues.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts