BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I could bear, and there were bikes on the dragstrip. An fzr and an old gsxr i think. Just before they raced, they would do massive burnouts. I'm curious as to why. Because from experience, my bike, even though its weight is biased to the front wheel as much as possible, will wheelie before it ever broke traction off the line. This show is not only full of a bunch of dumb meatheads trying to win eachother's cars/bikes. It's total bullshit too.
Discuss...

N

·
0 Posts
You mean you dont do a massive burnout at every stoplight before it turns green?

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, I mean if I launch hard, even if it's as hard as possible, the rear will never loose traction, if anything the front wheel will come off the ground. So a burnout is, in my experience, completely pointless.

F

·
0 Posts
i guess you never watch motorcycle drag racing ,,they do burnouts everysingle time .

your pointless thoery would fall on def ears to those that do it as a proffesion

most of those bikes have a rev limiter that they leave on from a switch on full throttle ,and a clutch that allows full throttle launches without instantly putting all the torque to the ground.

not just that its the traction they need at the launch ,but 60 feet down the track they need all the traction they can get so it doesnt break loose as they run through gears at full out .

havent you ever broke loose after launching the bike in second gear ,or dropping the clutch to do a wheelie ive lost traction plenty of time that way .but not when the tires are nice and warm and sticky,plus they been sitting in a line up waiting for thier turn long enough to take any heat out of the tires and making them uselss half way down the track

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
Yup, pros burnout all the time before the launch.
A proper one would be in a water puddle (water box? block? something...)

S

·
0 Posts
you obviously don't know shit about drag racing. go to a cmdra event and then talk about it.

F

·
0 Posts
go to the street legal drags one night and laugh at the 8 second pass by the meathead on his bullshit bike after a smokey burnout.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I hate Pinks. Freakin' mouth-breathers.

·
1,768 Posts
borderline said:
i guess you never watch motorcycle drag racing ,,they do burnouts everysingle time .
But don't most of the professional drag bikes use wheelie bars?

Don't those cause a bike to lose traction as the bike starts to wheelie? Or does the wheelie bar actually provide any sort of force to give the rear wheel more traction?

I've never really looked at drag bikes, so I don't know......

;D

·
1,768 Posts
Hmmm, but I guess with enough power (which the drag bikes have plenty of), you can quiet easily lose traction before a wheelie would occur.

Ok, nevermind, I gave it some more thought, that's not the type of riding I usually do...... :)

;D

D

·
0 Posts
a wheelie bar does nothing for traction. it has no force associated with it.

all it does is keep the bike (or car) from flipping, as it hits the ground when the vehicle's front end starts coming up.

the reason a drag bike or a car can break loose is simply the horsepower. a drag car has 7000 hp plus. tire compounds have not developed enough to be able to deal with that much power. when there is a tire traction breakthrough, you will suddenly see a lot of drivers with detached retinas.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I always thought burn outs were to warm the tires to optimum temperature...

Doug sez:
the reason a drag bike or a car can break loose is simply the horsepower. a drag car has 7000 hp plus. tire compounds have not developed enough to be able to deal with that much power. when there is a tire traction breakthrough, you will suddenly see a lot of drivers with detached retinas.
Er, point of order, good sir. Wouldn't detached retina's occur as a result of sudden stopping, rather than rapid acceleration?....(although, I'll guess the heart, nice and heavy with blood, will detach from the aorta prior to a retinal detachment...i'm guessing. now *that's* a little boo boo that doesn't heal)

D

·
0 Posts
i dunno michael, it just sounded like a good injury for someone submitted to near instantaneous acceleration. beats saying their eyelids will fold over, and their nostrils and mouth will be permanently stretched open :D

yep, the tires are warmed up so they will grip. just like any race tire. just like a bike tire. but a funny car or top fuel dragster can still spin those tires after launch.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Burnouts good for slicks, bad for street tires.

Slicks get sticky after burnout, street tires get slippy.

Unless they were drag bikes, burnouts are useless on stock sport bikes.

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
Wow, I mean, it's soooo important to find out how fast your POS bike can go in a straight line, then let's top it off by watching a few hours of thrilling Asscar racing, followed by the Texas Hardtails marathon...

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
VTwinVince said:
Wow, I mean, it's soooo important to find out how fast your POS bike can go in a straight line, then let's top it off by watching a few hours of thrilling Asscar racing, followed by the Texas Hardtails marathon...
sounds like a great way to spend a saturday night!

·
ninja machinist
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Before all you guys start saying I don't know shit about drag racing, let me tell you this. Sure I know dragbikes need to burnout to warm up their DRAG TIRES, these guys on this show are riding old pos beater bikes with street tires. Also, dragbikes have extended swingarms so they are less likely to wheelie on launch. These bikes are more or less stock.
Don't give a guy shit when you don't know shit about the extent of his knowledge.

mikeelliot said:
Burnouts good for slicks, bad for street tires.

Slicks get sticky after burnout, street tires get slippy.

Unless they were drag bikes, burnouts are useless on stock sport bikes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts