BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone used their bike helmets while snowboarding/skiing??

just curious haha

in case u wanted to protect ur melon, but cant justify buying a snowboarding or whatever u call it half helmets

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
Well, I hope you're not talking motorcycle helmet... that would be the most retarded idea ever, unless the helmet is already junk. One hard bail and you've screwed your lid up for good!

Bicycle helmet? Well.... that would just look dumb. I pretty sure snowboard helmets aren't expensive enough to necessitate either of the above options.

Ooh ooh! This reminded me though! I was reading in popular science, this dude has invented a toque that is made of a special polymer that becomes hard/impact cusioning when rapid forces are applied. But, is soft normally. Sounds really wicked, I'll try to scan the article if I find it!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a motorcycle helmet!? too heavy and you would need a different visor else you would fog up horribly. your better off spending the 100ish bux on a legit helmet that will stand up and take some abuse, compared to a $XXX helmet that is done with one good fall or tree branch.
a bicycle helmet would be too freakin cold.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I think you would get laughed off the slopes.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
I'm pretty sure one crash on a snowboard helmet would mean it's time for a replacement as well. And if you toss the thing around like just in your trunk with your boots and stuff, it's gonna make the helmet less effective in a head first fall. THe shell may be harder plastic, but that means it's shittier at absorbing the impact than MC lids.

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
rockshoxbiker said:
I'm pretty sure one crash on a snowboard helmet would mean it's time for a replacement as well. And if you toss the thing around like just in your trunk with your boots and stuff, it's gonna make the helmet less effective in a head first fall. THe shell may be harder plastic, but that means it's shittier at absorbing the impact than MC lids.
I dunno... considering the amount of falling that goes on in a sport like snowboarding, I'd think helmets would be designed to withstand multiple crashes and falls. Agreed, after any major incident it would probably need replacing...
I don't know, maybe I'm inventing a magic type of super-helmet in my mind... :laughing

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Wearing a $500+ helmet for skiing/boarding is an overkill IMO. Besides, as said above, they are designed to take one impact only, even if cosmetically they appear fine...it is suggested that you replace it.

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
much like hockey helmets, you can rattle it a bit, but if it takes a fair shot, it's prolly best to replace it.

I'm not say MC helmets need to be used for the slopes, but they would offer protection, so would a proper snowboarding/ skiing helmet.

Ultimately, it's your head and your money; do what you would please, but make a good decision

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I've used my FOX dirtbike helmet on the slopes with goggles . I really like it but I've had alot of concussions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts