BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Westwood race school

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  chicksfly 
#1 ·
Anyone going? Anyone signed up yet? I'm this close (holding fingers very closely together) to going. I think it'd be a great experience..

#2 ·
adam, I would really adivse you to make sure you have race fairings on.....50% of the last school members went down.....at some point....but that was at Mission, now they have it back for the first day at Tradex....Bruce I believe is going, I was too but $$ is kinda tight right now....

#3 ·
I'd love to go, but a 50% fall rate sounds pretty bad, I dont mind crashing but on my new r6? I'm gonna have to save up real quick for a track bike :D

-arai-

#8 ·
actually that brings up a question, does icbc not cover you while on the track? has anyone crashed on the track and tried to make a claim? just curious

-arai-

#10 ·
no one will sell insurance to cover trackdays.
i asked before... if you crash, you pay for it yourself.
I know about the medical insurance one OR i can just put a sticker/paper on the inside on my leathers telling the paramedics to stabilize me and send me on my way to canada and have the canadian docs do the rest:D :D :D :D :D hahahahahaha... whose idea was that anyway?!?!??:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

i THINK you could make a claim with icbc but your gonna have a hard time proving it though.

#13 ·
Hey Blitz I am definately getting into racing. I thought about so many types of racing, but bikes just comes out cheaper than say shifter carts, circuit cars, and the stuff you probably learn will be useful when riding your everyday bike.

About the racing school... I am gonna hold off until next season. I wouldn't mind doing a track day at my own pace just to get a feel of speeding without the thought of RCMP radaring me. I could take the RC51 out on a no pressure track day, but for the racing school .. probably want to find a used 600 first and then bring in the RC51.

50% went down? It might be worth it to take the racing schools in california. Costly, but at least it isn't your bike and they have insurance on racing school bikes. My dad lives in Cali.

Mick and I were planning to take this racing school in Calgary. I forget the website address.

G
#15 ·
Hi everyone
I did the Westwood's Race School (with Steve Dick) last year at Mission and got my novice race license. There were 6 of us in the class and 3 guys went down bad. :eek
So Human was exactly right in saying 50% On the Saturday I saw 9 people either crash right in front of me or already crashed.
It was definately a great learning experience, very technical track. Great for those of us that aren't corner chasers.
I think the Tradex might be a lil' safer.

#16 ·
There is also a school back east, can't remember the name right now, but they also rent bikes (and leathers if neccessary).. I believe it was about $600-700 for a 2 day course. Not bad for the price I thought, but you gotta get yourself back east.

#17 ·
LE, Adam,

The Big name in racing schools I've heard for back east (and now Calgary) is FAST Riding School.. http://www.fastridingschool.com

I believe the Calgary course is new this year (or last year?)

From the people I've talked to that took this course, apparently it's awesome. They use either R6's or GSX-R 600's.

For what you get, the course isn't priced to badly..

From their site:

With motorcycles and riding gear supplied
1 Day: $435.00, 2 DAYS: $770.00
With your own motorcycle and riding gear
1 Day: $235.00
Riding gear rental: Call for information
Available daily insurance for our equipment: $85.00
I like the insurance idea.. ;)

Jim.

#18 ·
Big Jim, thats the school me and Kevin was thinking of taking, but they noted that for calgary you have to bring in your own bikes and gear.... so i decided not to go this year since kevin is not that ready yet anyways, hopefully next year they can bring their bikes to calgary, and we can just either ride there or bus there to take the school.

#19 ·
A newbie here with his first post.

I'm glad I found this site. It's a good way to find out what's going on locally and to get information on purchasing gear and bikes.

I'm registered for a two day FAST courses in August at Shannonville in Ontario. (I tried for one in June, but it was already full. Damn!) I'm totally psyched about going (August is NEVER going to come soon enough). I think I'll try to take in one of the local track days before I go though. I'm also going to start looking for a track bike too. I just know I'll get hooked on riding on a track and I need a bike that I'm not afraid of dropping (cos I know that's inevitably going to happen).

G
#20 ·
Just about insurance....even medical insurance is an iffy thing..you need to read the fine print. Plain medical covers what I would say amounts to nothing in the states. If you get extra coverage they still only cover a portion. Read fine print. All insurance has fine print saying they don't cover racing events which to them includes track days. I know from personal experience.:mad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.