BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got stuck in the downpour out in S. Delta, and found out just how slick cold tires on wet pavement can be....

I was accelerating 'cross the Ladner trunk road on the 17 hiway, and as I cracked on 2nd gear, my back tire spun out and the ass end swung WAY out... I gently let of the throttle, and stayed loose on the handlebars (Thank you Kieth Code and Twist of the Wrist! v I and II), and she thankfully straightened out on her own.

Sideways is cool. My last time was when I went through a wet patch from a street cleaner while leaned way over last week. Actually getting used to it and even looking farward to next time.

Nathan :)

·
:) you'll live longer
1,112 Posts
wet and wild anywhere

talk about slick roads out there.

i ride rain most of the time, but today i had the front end go out on me and some how i saved it. I was headed south on Renfrew in vancouver, just past Broadway and at the bottom there are a couple sets of train tracks with metal plates. I was very gently braking and the front just slide out and started going sideways.

i let off the front brake and kept easing the back and somehow kept the bike up. Leg flailing and all.

and the scary thing is it didn't really phase me much at all.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
talk about WAY out...the rear of my racebike swinged sideway and threw me to the ground at Porland last Sunday. Cold tire and damp track...it caused a pinball action behind me: bikes were hitting each other and went down and on the grass trying to avoid hitting my body and my bike...They red-flagged the race for 45min. to clean up the shit.
oops...talking about going sideways :evilgrin

tc

ps talk 'bout losing the front...Same day in the afternoon, 600SS race, turn-2, clipped the rumble strip and drove onto the grass, lost the front in the wet and got slammed to the ground...again:knife

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Those front end washouts can sure slap you down alright.

That's what happened to me when I "discovered" that little patch of sand in the middle of the road last fall. I saw it just as it passed under the edge of my screen and I was telling my fingers to let go of the brake but the message didn't make it in time and the bike just slapped down in a flash like a bullwhip. It hit hard enough that a beer bottle in my pack behind me smashed. Did a big bruise number on my shoulder too.

Back end slides aren't too bad. I've played with drifting the back end on a few occasions when pulling away on some gravel. Good fun. Makes me want to build up a Super Motard or something.

·
Registered
872 Posts
ive been practicing second and third gear rolling burnouts in the rain.

On the highway with a friend videotaping I managed to hold a slightly sideways "drift" down the lane for well over 100 feet.

its easier in second as first tries to make me wheelie (yes it will wheelie in the wet)

third is kind of tough it doesnt want to break loose unless the rpms are way up... also letting off the gas doesnt stop the tire from spinning right away.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Cool jonathan. Just don't let off the throttle while crossed up too far or it'll catch and try to high side ya even though your standing up. But you've proabably already felt the first tugs of that I'd imagine.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
eh Johnathan, do you power it to get the wheel spinning or do you use some clutch dumping?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sewman said:
eh Johnathan, do you power it to get the wheel spinning or do you use some clutch dumping?
You know how people bounce up a wheelie ? its similar to that...

I roll on the gas pretty hard, then let off the gas completly so the weight gets onto the front tire, as the suspension drops in the front I lay on the tank almost and hammer on the gas... the wheel should spin as its wet and there isnt much weight on it... then you can either wait for it to grab traction which should bin about 20 feet in second or 30 feet in third (depending on the road surface) or you can roll on the gas and keep it spinning...

Remember in third gear your tire will spin upwards of 100km/h easily and it wont slow down fast either ! :eek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts