BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
BRAAAAAPPP!!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say I get a CR250, how much work do I need to put into her to get her on the road? Signals? Speedo? Slicks?

Please post any help, thanks.

-Jimmy

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
agreed,you spend a ton getting it dot aproved as well.lights(all)speedo,horn,mirrors,brake switches,dot aproved lenses etc..dot tires..theres a lot.stator for yours.

Kwota said:
If you're looking for a first bike (motard) buy the suzuki drz400sm and just go ride

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I've done a few 2 stroke 250's and no matter what you do count on spending $1000 to convert it. Your best off leaving it a dirtbike there not much fun on the street or built for it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the DR-z for a first bike and I'm loving it. The 4 stroke bikes are going to be smoother and more reliable that the 2's. Yes, it's down on power compared to other 400 / 450 tards out there but for a first bike I think its a hoot. I want to get into a sport bike in the next few years, and I think the DRZ SM is a great stepping stone to learn the basics, get comfortable in traffic, and not kill myself with a slip of the wrist.
Just me 2 cents.

Just get a tard and join the club... you won't regret it!

·
BRAAAAAPPP!!!
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, fair enough. Looks like I am shopping for a Suzuki. Mind you, I wouldn't really mind spending $1000 to get a bike done up. Still cheaper than a new DRZ400SM, no?

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
It is not just the cost when you try and plate a bike like the CR250, it is also a lot of time and hassle getting all the paperwork done, not to mention inspections and other 'hoop jumping' necessities you will have to perform before you get coverage.

Talk to some of the people here who have SM's that are street legal in other countries and find out how long it took them to get a plate for their bikes, the time is often measured in months (many months in some cases) so depending on when you want to ride this may OK for you. Go in to 5th Gear and talk to Bill, I am sure he can give you a better idea of what you are getting yourself into. :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
If all you want a street legal CR 250 you might be able to get it done for a grand. If you want a Motarded street legal CR250 expect to pay 3-5 G's by the time you're done with wheels, brakes, etc.

Just the wheels and a decent set of tires will set you back $2000.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
JimmyTheGent said:
ok, FINE!! I get it
Seriously, we are all just trying to make sure you know exactly what you are getting into here and by all means these points are not meant to discourage. Everyone here probably would love to see another unique SM out there ripping up the streets but a lot of us have converted bikes and realize that all the little costs DO add up considerably.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

·
Ya, whatever.
669 Posts
Part of the fun is building one but be prepared to spend money. The cheap route is get one that someone has built or get a production one. Good deal on brand new 05 DRZ's at North Shore Suzuki right now and it has worthy street gear and a real ignition. Not a bad thing at all.

·
SM Corporation!
375 Posts
U can buy my bike streeted and rebuilt for $8900.00, not a penny less.
ITs the only 500 around as far as I know. I have done the hardwork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts