BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rider Down threads are a continual source of controversy. Some people feel there should be a separate forum for them (and RIP), while others feel they have little if any use, other than being a lookie loo.

So the questions are:

What Have You Learned From A Rider Down Thread? (be honest)

Do You Apply It In Any Way To Your Riding Style? (specifically)

Does Age Or Demographic Dictate Wanting Rider Down Threads

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
BMR said:
Rider Down threads are a continual source of controversy. Some people feel there should be a separate forum for them (and RIP), while others feel they have little if any use, other than being a lookie loo.

So the questions are:

Given how shaky / inaccurate the information normally is, generally very little.

See above re: lack of good information.

Having said that, the crashes that I've witnessed myself have confirmed alot of my attitudes about how I ride.

I typically try to say away from the threads, unless it's someone I know / knew.

I'm 34 FWIW.

·
shameless poser
1,118 Posts
BMR said:
What do you learn from "Rider Down" threads?
Not a damn thing. They just waste our time when we could be reading about

"easter egg massacre-vote NOW!!",
"Saturnin -Discuss", or
"29 Little Known Facts About Chuck Norris".

S

·
0 Posts
the RIP threads should be treated as just that- you wouldn't go to a funeral and start talking about how the person could have avoided death would you? the rider down ones are just fuckin stupid cuz if the person was ok then i'm sure he can write his own thread about his crash if he wants to. lastly, if you change your life profoundly because of something you read on the net well there's probably little help left for you.

·
yorkshire sheep shagger
535 Posts
They make me the slowest 12R rider in the lower mainland......Definately make me more aware of what "Might" be waiting just around the corner.

R

·
0 Posts
I keep hoping that these examples would limit the number of new riders who just left the bike show with a hand full of "stunting" dvd's and the keys to an R1, but it never happens. Everybody needs to learn their own lessons and I hope their not injured and it stops affecting my insurance.
As they say, there's old riders and bold riders but there are no old, bold riders.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I learn nearly nothing from the threads. I'm already as cautious as I can be, and as responsible as I should be.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Nothing. There is little in the way of hazards that I haven't been acquainted with prior. This sounds cold, and I don't mean to say I've seen it all, or mastered every situation. Rather, they are clear reminders of all the things that can go wrong, regardless of the circumstances of the event.

No. I continue to make mistakes, I continue in my efforts to improve my skills to reduce the risk. Risk is never eliminated, only reduced.

Perhaps. Everyone deals with grief differently. Some must express it in a public forum, others prefer to be mute, and reflect, with empathy, on their own losses in light of someone else's tragedy.

D

·
0 Posts
from the majority of the threads i learn that it's someone i know.

most new, and possibly young, riders will not learn anything from the posts because they are in their invincible mode, and nothing can convince them otherwise. until the thread is about them. but then it's too late.

ever since we lost corey i've had the corey conscious when i ride. makes me think about something a split second longer before i do it. a lot of times it talks me out of doing it. do i really need to pass 4 cars on a double yellow when i can see oncoming traffic? no.. you can wait. ok, now go. can you still see the pack? yes? no need to pour on another 10th then.

now if cody would leave me alone about doing wheelies, and let me stick to jumping speed bumps....

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
BMR said:
Various things. If I knew the person and how they rode, and how I ride in comparison, I tend to learn the most about how I may be pushing limits I was not aware I was pushing. Especially since those limits vary so much on the street and can catch you off guard.

BMR said:
-Definitely, I ride a lot slower than I used to.
-I am much more aware of blind corners and what might lurk behind them. It was fun, and I still think there is a place for speed and the rush that comes with it, I just try to choose wiser. (if there is such a thing)
-I tend to expect much more random behavior from vehicles on the road in general and give them wider berth (and TRY to check my ego at the door).
-I do NOT ride behind trucks that obscure my visibility of whats ahead (cube vans, tinted white gangsta rapmobiles, large SUV's etc) because things happen to suddenly when you can't see a few cars ahead. Learned THAT lesson the hard way.
-I am much more wary of left turners that appear to be stopped, because they can and might punch it at a completely rediculous time to try and beat you through a yellow.

Lots of these were changes to my riding style directly subsequent to riders I knew being involved in accidents (myself included).

BMR said:
Probably. For me I want them more as a reminder to keep things in check since there is an RIP list of people I know (from the handful of years I've been in Vancouver) larger than most bridal parties.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I find that the rider down threads are a good reminder to ride safe out there, however, I agree with the idea of a seperate forum for these threads so if anyone wants to read them they can go there, because from right now its seems that the majority of people have no real use for them.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
I usually never read the rider downs..
Unfortunately in my time riding I've been involved in accidents, and in as well been involved in a near fatality. There is nothing like actually being involved in one of these events to really hammer the point home. It's the same old points: watch road conditions, ride within your ability and responsibily, watch for others, and enjoy your life to the fullest because unfortunately no matter what you do sometimes shit just happens.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
michael said:

Perhaps. Everyone deals with grief differently. Some must express it in a public forum, others prefer to be mute, and reflect, with empathy, on their own losses in light of someone else's tragedy.

Well said, Michael. The low level of hyperbole in the replies so far are a refreshing change.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts