BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need something more comfortable than a supersport bike for my road riding. What do you think of the z1000 ? I can deal with the minimal wind protection. It's the crunched up angle of supersports that I can't deal with on 800+ km daytrips.

I'm considering a z1000 because I find the Fz1 too ugly, and the z1000 can be had for very cheap used.

How do these things pull vs. a 600cc supersport ? I find that 600's don't really have enough power at higher elevations in the interior when riding 2 up when going up hill.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Both the FZ1 and Z1000 pull quite a bit harder than the 600s, at least from down in the midrange. I've rode several FZs, but only one Z, and from what I could recall they were fairly similar. Pre -'06 FZ might be a bit more comfy.
Should be no problem pulling uphill passes two-up in the mountains.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Uphill passes with luggage on the back and I have no problem passing on the uphill towards the toll booth or anywhere else for that matter. It's a well sorted out bike. Tons of mods available. Rare you ever see one out around here which is nice which in turn causes a lot more people to stop and look at it. That could be good or bad depending upon how social you are.
If I had to compare it to the FZ1, I'd say the bike is "raw." Not as refined. Throw a set of pipes on it and it's sounds the biz.

Have a look around here, TeeTee and I both posted ours. If you want the definitive site for Zed's then look no further than www. riderforums.com

·
Behind the great firewall
448 Posts
A Z1000 is a heavy ZX9R bored out to 950 ccs and fuel injected. Very little detuning in the engine. If it is anything like my ZX-9, it will pull a lot harder and and lower revs than a 600 but doesn't have the top end rush of a supersport 1000.

Main complaints i hear about are vibration, lack of wind protection and funny exhaust pipes.

Interestingly enough, the new Z1000 for 2007 is still based on the ZX9R engine, but it apparently has a better torque curve and slightly higher peak hp. Woulda thought it would be based on the ZX10, but i guess the tooling is paid for and they still sell the zx9r in some markets so they still gotta make the engine.

The Z1000 didn't sell very well. I would assume because even though it was a good bike, it didn't have the styling and practicality of the FZ1, the tough look of the Speed triple or the beauty of the Monsters.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
What he ^^^^ said. I'd say though the naked bikes in general don't sell very well here at all. Doesn't really matter the manufacturer, if it's not wrapped in a plastic, the general North American public isn't interested.

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,652 Posts
I like 'em but if I was going to do the big naked Kawasaki thing, I would have to go with a ZRX1200 (Eddie Lawson was my hero)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts