BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 31, been riding for 14 years and have predominately had pure sport bikes. My two wheel history: 98 ZX6E, 00 CBR 929, 00 GSXR 750, 05 SV1000s, 07 CBR 600RR, 08 ZX6R & finally 07 Daytona 675.

I guess the bike that started it all was the 98 ZX6E.. or ZZR to others. I drove it like a supersport, and also put on many miles. The past few years I haven't put on a lot of km's, but this past summer I did some touring on my Daytona.. love the bike, but its terrible for 2up touring!!! The SV1000s I had was fun, and not too bad for touring, but I just wasn't ready yet :)

I want to do more 2up touring but I don't want to lose touch with the sport riding! I like to thrash the bike still.. I haven't yet out grown that.

So now I find myself considering these used big bore bikes:
-Hayabusa
-ZX12R Ninja
-FZ1
-Bandit 1250
-Vstrom 1000
-ZX9R Ninja
-VFR800

My budget will be $5000-$6500 and I'd like hard bags, but its not a necessity.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
I see you don't have a ZX-14 on there ....... good, keep it off.

Unless your passenger is a 5'0" tall 80 lb individual, they will not be comfortable.

·
Yep
1,692 Posts
I currently have an 03 zx9. Its not too bad. With a better seat and that cruise control thing it wouldn't be too bad. Tank is big enough to lay down on too. Very good in cross winds and around tractor trailers.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I think that the CBR1100XX SuperBlackBird is the best bang for your buck. FI, imo. Lot's of low kms for sale in the USA. One locally but I would low ball them b/c it needs some work. Burnaby Kawi. 3-5,000 get a decent Bird. My '02 has 178,000 trouble free kms. That being said it has many upgrades and add ons. I'm biased, obviously.

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
I am 31, been riding for 14 years and have predominately had pure sport bikes. My two wheel history: 98 ZX6E, 00 CBR 929, 00 GSXR 750, 05 SV1000s, 07 CBR 600RR, 08 ZX6R & finally 07 Daytona 675.

I guess the bike that started it all was the 98 ZX6E.. or ZZR to others. I drove it like a supersport, and also put on many miles. The past few years I haven't put on a lot of km's, but this past summer I did some touring on my Daytona.. love the bike, but its terrible for 2up touring!!! The SV1000s I had was fun, and not too bad for touring, but I just wasn't ready yet :)

I want to do more 2up touring but I don't want to lose touch with the sport riding! I like to thrash the bike still.. I haven't yet out grown that.

So now I find myself considering these used big bore bikes:
-Hayabusa
-ZX12R Ninja
-FZ1
-Bandit 1250
-Vstrom 1000
-ZX9R Ninja
-VFR800

My budget will be $5000-$6500 and I'd like hard bags, but its not a necessity.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
My thoughts, you are missing the Sprint Triple and the ST1100 or ST1300...

I think the ST1300 is one of the finest Sport touring bikes out there.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The above mentioned bikes are excellent. However the OP stated he still like to "thrash" the bike. I'm not sure you can really thrash the ST1300/ST1100, FJ. True, if you are an excellent rider you can thrash almost any bike, I've seen it. Bottom line, many excellent sport touring bikes some more sport, some more touring. Good Luck

·
5,255 Posts
I like the versatility of the V-Strom, so this is the 3rd time I've bought one. Fairly light, more luggage capacity than a wing with the proper bags, lots-o leg room, low cost of ownership. Very fun to flick around in the corners, with good feel.

I've owned two 5th gen VFR's, and would recommend them also if your passenger accommodations didn't matter as much. Great fun in the corners with good feeling and a relaxed motor that has a great honk when you get on it.

I found the ST1300 to be wooden feeling in the corners, and well, it's almost a 700 lb bike. Same with the Bandit 1250 (I owned a 2007), which lacked passenger room also and would push the front dramatically while railing the corners in N. Cali, mostly due to it's massive weight. (No offence Jay :) )

I owned a 2000 ZX-9R, and loved solo-touring on that before I got old and brittle, but it's a more extreme riding position than a VFR. LOTS of fun in the twisties.

I did several two-up trips on my 2001 FZ1 with my wife. Her favorite bike to be a passenger on to date. I couldn't handle the windflow (buffeting) and handlebar vibes. Those issues on that bike don't seem to bother all people the same.

Can't comment on your other choices.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
CBR1100XX Blackbird. I want one to ride when my heap of fucking shit RC51 is broken down.
I'll let you ride mine; as long as you don't take it to Portland :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I promise you it is comfy, fast, lots of storage, handles fine and looks good. You won't pass many on the road. But she's been to Cali this year already. Next time.

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
I have stuck with the big guy's bikes. ZX9R, both V-Stroms, currently tour on a SV1000S with hard bags.

The ZX9R has some good quality components on it. Wonderful motor.

VFR is designed for touring. Motors last a long time. If you get a high mileage one and its been taken care of don't be too concerned.

Bandit has a very flat torque curve. Lot's of power. Becoming a bit too portly for me. Still want my sport in sport touring.

The DL1000 seems like a logical choice if you liked the SV1000. I went to the SV because I liked the motor in the DL. Spacious.

The large litre bikes like the Busa are over kill for me. I do not like the increased weight and the longer wheel base. Fuel economy starts to become an issue when your hard on the throttle.

Interested in the Aprilla Touno. A little aggressive in the foot peg hieght and not so good for touring.

The bike I keep coming back too is the KTM 990T. All write ups I have read say its a kick ass bike.
You can put hard luggage on it. Suspension has different modes for comfort,sport, touring two up. ABS is on the 2011. Yes, these are still quirky bikes with the dry sump and screens for oil changes.
Yes, more expensive then $6K. As I get older this bike appeals to me more and more for touring. Fun fun, fun !!

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
I'd probably vote Blackbird. If they'd ever made it with ABS, I would have bought one years ago.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I'd probably vote Blackbird. If they'd ever made it with ABS, I would have bought one years ago.
I like the linked brakes but many de-link the brakes. Some have installed usd forks/ Busa/RC51 and the like. Like many bikes the Bird is well loved world wide with many forums as well. I test rode a VFR 800 but decided I would outgrow it and the Bird was the same price in '02 and I knew I would never outgrow it. And I haven't. I know a Bird that is supercharged and several with turbos. All streetable. Once the few weaknesses are addressed, Honda electical gremlins and suspension it's an excellent sport tourer. "We" wanted a new Bird with usd forks, abs, t.c., 1,200+cc and fully adjustable suspension but they didn't listen to us and built the FVR1200 instead. It sells like a dog and are quite discounted although it's an ok bike. If I was willing to spend my youngest daughters wedding $ I would be on a Beemer or Multi Strada.

·
+1
2,281 Posts
pretty good list. The triumph sprint or tiger might work. The concours or FJR could be viable if you go lounger. The F800ST is probably getting up there in price among their K's and RT's. The Ducati ST3/4 and guzzi norges could make an exotic perch. It's good to have options.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
I notice the zx12 on your list so I guess I will give you my take on that bike as I have about 80,000+k's of touring on mine.
Geared too high for city riding but can cruise at 100 mph all day at 5.5k rpm,I dropped 1 tooth on the front for city riding so I can cruise at about 90mph at 5.5rpm.
Fuel economy seems to get better the faster you go, averages 220k highway 160k city on 18L.
Fairly comfortable for touring with various windshields available foot pegs could be lower.
For two up rear pegs are a bit high for long rides.
Tends to lift the front very easy with a passenger or without one.
If you replace the zx12 stickers with zx6 stickers you can scare the shit out of guys on 600's.
Some recall issues on stator/rectifier system,easy to fix yourself.
You can get hard bags but they cost big bucks, I use a Gears tail duffel bag that fits like it was made for the bike.
It can take a bit of time to get used to this bike but once you get it dialed in it makes a good sport touring bike,but not a very good city bike.
Mine is 10 years old with 100,000+k's and people still tell me it looks new
That said two pistons grenaded at 65,000k's due to a flaw in the block.
I saw a stock 2002 on craigslist awhile back for $4500 with 20k on it.
Some people ad heli bars but I find them just fine after my last couple of trip I have been considering putting buel foot pegs on as the backs of my legs behind my knees was getting sore.
Faster than a Blackbird and maybe even a Hayabusa (depending on who you ask) and will keep up with any modern liter bike in a straight line.
Weighs about 100 pounds more than a liter bike but has anywhere from 10-20+ hp more depending on mods.
Other than the piston block failure I have had no other major mechanical issues.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts