BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
OK, I'm biased but +1 for Triumph Sprints--either 995 or 1050.

Older Triumphs tend to go for a song.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/
And they shouldn't be!! If gullible people would quit buying the Chevrolet of bikes, like Honda, Suz, Kwak, Yam etc theyd realise that when you buy a Triumph or any Euro bike, it's meant to last. A mechanical engineer looked at my first Hinckley I bought and after looking at every detail he said that he was very impressed with the build quality. And he was British and hadn't examined a Hinckley before.

I owned a Sprint RS and ST. The only grief I got was after a 10 day ride to Sears Point to watch AMA racing. It rained so bad on the way there and while at the races, there was water bubbling thru the track. The RS ran fine the whole way there and back but after sitting for 2 weeks in the garage it wouldn't fire. Turned over great especially after charging the battery. Caled the local dealer who I didn't buy it from, trailered it down, they did a complete scan and download on the Triumph dealer thingy and it started right up and ran great.

The ST, had no issues with, not even a bulb burnt out.

Currently have an 06 Speed Triple or as some of owners call them Striples, and an 04 Thruxton which I'm modding right now. 0000000 issues with both and they both have more character than any Jap stuff I've owned. But for 2 up, I'd still say go for an FJR. Handling,comfort and torque. What more do you need?

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
I have an 07 Speed Triple with ~31,000 km and I have had a couple of issues: ignition switch and sometimes it does not fire right away (I think it is a weak battery or a iffy conenction with the clutch or kickstand safety switches). Having said that, I've ridden it on several two week trips to CA (e.g. 8,000 km of riding) and never had an issue with it on those trips. I love it (the triple is a wonderful engine) and would not hesitate to get another Triumph. My next bike is likely going to be a Tiger 800.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
I have an 07 Speed Triple with ~31,000 km and I have had a couple of issues: ignition switch and sometimes it does not fire right away (I think it is a weak battery or a iffy conenction with the clutch or kickstand safety switches). Having said that, I've ridden it on several two week trips to CA (e.g. 8,000 km of riding) and never had an issue with it on those trips. I love it (the triple is a wonderful engine) and would not hesitate to get another Triumph. My next bike is likely going to be a Tiger 800.
The Triumphs do seem to be reasonably durable. My buddy has a 955 Daytona that he bought "new" (it was a few years old in the crate), and he's put 100,000km on it. Only problem was warped rotors early on (replaced under warranty), and it sometimes gets difficult to start--although it always does. Cosmetically, it has held up extremely well, but he has worked hard to keep it clean. Might be my next bike, actually.

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
If gullible people would quit buying the Chevrolet of bikes, like Honda, Suz, Kwak, Yam etc theyd realise that when you buy a Triumph or any Euro bike, it's meant to last.
hhahahahah... I had my first ever problem with my Suzuki DL1000 last weekend, after over 90,000 km's & 2 years of riding the shit out of it......

and the failed part cost me nothing because there is a factory recall on it.... everyone I ever knew who owned a triumph...pays for the privilege....

Japanese bikes are known for their reliability more than any other factor.....

·
Registered
18,857 Posts
LOL.....that is truly some funny shit right there.
I'll agree that the new Triumphs are very good build quality and engineering.

That said... the British haven't seemed to figure out dentistry... so I'm not sure how
they managed to master motorcycle engineering.

·
Banned
52 Posts
hhahahahah... I had my first ever problem with my Suzuki DL1000 last weekend, after over 90,000 km's & 2 years of riding the shit out of it......

and the failed part cost me nothing because there is a factory recall on it.... everyone I ever knew who owned a triumph...pays for the privilege....

Japanese bikes are known for their reliability more than any other factor.....
Too true but what I'm saying is don't be afraid to go Triumph.
Name escapes me now but he used to race a 675 and was a Mechanic at British Italian, is a super Wrench and nice guy. Last I heard he was working at the Suzuki shop in Surrey.

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Too true but what I'm saying is don't be afraid to go Triumph.
Name escapes me now but he used to race a 675 and was a Mechanic at British Italian, is a super Wrench and nice guy. Last I heard he was working at the Suzuki shop in Surrey.
Nikola Racunica. Works at Motorcycle World. Great guy and mechanic

You'll be disappointed: He has his racing number in his signature :devillook

·
Registered
185 Posts
02 - 09 VFR800
25 years of riding sport bikes and being in our 40's we switched to a sport touring bike.
Factory bags.. This is exactly what it was built for. Add some Heli risers and you are set.
The wife and i have been SPORT touring for years with this machine and it was well researched before we went this direction.
She has done so many 400 mile days on the back of this bike and is getting off the bike still with a smile :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
But is it 58?
Not sure you'll get this as I heard you've been banned!.....His # is 30 and he was my teammate in 2009!....Wouldn't have won the Amateur SS/Open SS Championships w/o all his help!.....Great Triumph mechanic and just bought the new diagnostic package to service Aprilias as well!......

To the OP .....I have an '02 955i Daytona CE (45k on the odo) that I'm looking to sell for 5K!....It has soft bags and a tank bag and was a rippin' good time going to Nelson and back several years for the Rat Rally there!....Good torque....decent passeger ergo's..Nikola just did the full service on it.......Pop a set of riser's and a doublebubble w/s on for touring and you're still maintaining ur cool factor!....PM me if you want to see some pix!.....Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Old Dirty Bastard
1,650 Posts
I have owned Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Honda, and Triumph. Depending on the model and where I was at in my life, I would buy any of these brands again (yes, even Kawasaki).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'll agree that the new Triumphs are very good build quality and engineering.

That said... the British haven't seemed to figure out dentistry... so I'm not sure how
they managed to master motorcycle engineering.
Hey now, you can't sum up the dentistry of the British just because you watched a couple of Austin Powers movies!:evilgrin

·
BikerBoyz
844 Posts
I'm already switch to VFR800 early this year...

I'm already switch to VFR800 early this year... still lots of FUN!!!

02 - 09 VFR800
25 years of riding sport bikes and being in our 40's we switched to a sport touring bike.
Factory bags.. This is exactly what it was built for. Add some Heli risers and you are set.
The wife and i have been SPORT touring for years with this machine and it was well researched before we went this direction.
She has done so many 400 mile days on the back of this bike and is getting off the bike still with a smile :)
:rockon:rockon

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I suppose the other dicision is chain or shaft drive for "sport" touring. Not to flame others out but I think the VFR is the baby, baby, brother of the BlackBird. Wait for me to shut this system down before you begin the flaming. lol

·
Registered
870 Posts
I suppose the other dicision is chain or shaft drive for "sport" touring. Not to flame others out but I think the VFR is the baby, baby, brother of the BlackBird. Wait for me to shut this system down before you begin the flaming. lol
Yes and no. It's a great bike, but a lightweight. My girlfriend has put about 60,000 miles on hers including a trip to Labrador and another to North Carolina. Reliable as a rock. She did Winnipeg to Vancouver in a day which is about 1450 miles / 2300 Km's. And she does a fine just of keeping up with my FJR.

http://www.ldrider.ca/2007AtlanticCanada/the-ride/2007-07-atlantic-canada_102.JPG

http://www.ldrider.ca/2007AtlanticCanada/the-ride/2007-07-TCGold.JPG

·
Registered
870 Posts
41 - 60 of 136 Posts