BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a very helpful thread.

I have a sweetheart of a bike now, an older GPz but with 50,000 miles on it, its starting to show its age. So I'm in market for a 'newer' used ride.

I do some long distance riding, but nothing like what some folks do. I still want something comfortable, but with some get up and go. My wife is scared to death of m/c but she's not so controlling to not let me go riding, so having a passenger is not an issue.

Right now I'm leaning towards the ZX-14 or Hayabusa, tho I think those choices would be overkill. So the bike can do 200 MPH. Yeah? So? I'll never go near that fast. But they are great looking bikes.

I really liked the VFR 800 but think it is a wee bit under powered for my likes. The FJR and Concours are just beasts so I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for. Ideally I'd prefer a K1200 R but they are very pricey, even used. Damn Germans...

Can anyone riding a Triumph ST [or the like] let me know what kind of comfort or discomfort they deal with riding it for significant distances? I've read the ST's have small wind protection and a difficult riding position for long distances. But its a gorgeous bike and I love the single side swing arm. And used ones are very practical.

Thanks for all your feedback, its greatly appreciated...

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
I am 31, been riding for 14 years and have predominately had pure sport bikes. My two wheel history: 98 ZX6E, 00 CBR 929, 00 GSXR 750, 05 SV1000s, 07 CBR 600RR, 08 ZX6R & finally 07 Daytona 675.

I guess the bike that started it all was the 98 ZX6E.. or ZZR to others. I drove it like a supersport, and also put on many miles. The past few years I haven't put on a lot of km's, but this past summer I did some touring on my Daytona.. love the bike, but its terrible for 2up touring!!! The SV1000s I had was fun, and not too bad for touring, but I just wasn't ready yet :)

I want to do more 2up touring but I don't want to lose touch with the sport riding! I like to thrash the bike still.. I haven't yet out grown that.

So now I find myself considering these used big bore bikes:
-Hayabusa
-ZX12R Ninja
-FZ1
-Bandit 1250
-Vstrom 1000
-ZX9R Ninja
-VFR800

My budget will be $5000-$6500 and I'd like hard bags, but its not a necessity.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

The Honda ST1100, or ST1300, are very nice sport touring bikes. The Bandit is a great low cost alternative, as is the Kawi Concourse

·
Banned
382 Posts
Given your budget I would go Blackbird, great bike, great power, comfortable and semi stylish and the price is right...... Bob Barker bitches!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Given your budget I would go Blackbird, great bike, great power, comfortable and semi stylish and the price is right...... Bob Barker bitches!
can't disagree here, i've had a number of big bikes including 08 zx14 & busa, but i'm on my 3rd blackbird and gotta say i think it's the best of the bunch for do it all versatility. Honda shot themselves in the foot for not upgrading the b/bird & keeping it going. if you find a good used one don't be afraid
........ oh did i mention mine's for sale ( buying a new 14R...... hee hee)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think sport touring has 2 categories, good passenger accommodations and bad passenger accommodations. If the passenger is not comfortable ,and you said 2 up, then it puts a quick end to your riding. The blackbird has good 2 up comfort. There are a few good 2 up bikes that can be thrashed as you say , and I have ridden with one guy on an ST that would put all but a few sportbikes owners to shame but only one. I rode it and it felt huge, following him through NE Oregon there was a constant smell of burning fiberglass being ground off his fairing and he was hanging off like a monkey in a tree. I would include the passenger in the decision. Another one I thought was good was a BMW K1200RS 1999 model but they are hard to find.

·
truth seeker
527 Posts
2002 VFR 800
When considering touring options engine configuration comes into play. For a "smaller" displacement sport tourer the V-Four is very different from an inline four. As a solo mount it is flawless with just enough torque and hp to keep the ride fun. It is a bit under sprung for dragging knees at speed and requires an experienced rider to keep the 600's at bay and the litre bikes in sight. I have done 16 days to Fairbanks and back (8500kms) and still rode the day after I got home. The engine is durable and the factory finish and hard bags are great. There are always VFRs for sale and are great value for the money. My 2 cents is that many of the bigger bikes mentioned are touring-sport rather than sport-touring. If you are riding at a pace where you feel comfy in jeans than you don't need a "sport" bike anyways. For me it is full leathers and elbows out even with the hard bags on... Sure makes it fun when you pass a bunch of junior squids on 600rrs.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
352 Posts
We had an '05 VFR and loved it. The only downside was the $1000+ cost of the valve adjustment for the wonky VTEC system. The best sport touring bike I have owned so far has been our KTM 950/990's.

2002 VFR 800
When considering touring options engine configuration comes into play. For a "smaller" displacement sport tourer the V-Four is very different from an inline four. As a solo mount it is flawless with just enough torque and hp to keep the ride fun. It is a bit under sprung for dragging knees at speed and requires an experienced rider to keep the 600's at bay and the litre bikes in sight. I have done 16 days to Fairbanks and back (8500kms) and still rode the day after I got home. The engine is durable and the factory finish and hard bags are great. There are always VFRs for sale and are great value for the money. My 2 cents is that many of the bigger bikes mentioned are touring-sport rather than sport-touring. If you are riding at a pace where you feel comfy in jeans than you don't need a "sport" bike anyways. For me it is full leathers and elbows out even with the hard bags on... Sure makes it fun when you pass a bunch of junior squids on 600rrs.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Words of wisdom. 50,000 kms is not, imo, a lot of kms on a sport touring bike. If it's well maintained. '02/200,000 kms. I still think it's the best bang for your used bike dollar. Yes, I'm biased, totally. Very user friendly, a great US forum, and easy to work on. (I'm told)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
can't disagree here, i've had a number of big bikes including 08 zx14 & busa, but i'm on my 3rd blackbird and gotta say i think it's the best of the bunch for do it all versatility. Honda shot themselves in the foot for not upgrading the b/bird & keeping it going. if you find a good used one don't be afraid
........ oh did i mention mine's for sale ( buying a new 14R...... hee hee)
Totally agree. Who's buying that dog of a VFR1200?

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
Totally agree. Who's buying that dog of a VFR1200?
The VFR1200 is not what I was hoping to see the VFR become, but other than the range/fuel economy, I never really hear anything bad about it from people that actually have seat time on the bike. Well, I do think it's ugly, but the fit and finish is extremely good.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
(my sis and I in Edmonton)
perfect for touring on the Duffy,
or hanging out at Squawbucks.
or riding the #20. Blackbird if you can find one. I wonder what he bought.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
^^^ very cool ad. love the sound. to me, it's obvious they are going after the Harley crowd as their target market. great sound. lotsa femmes on back. groups. all good things. 'Merican, maybe not so much...
still, gotta say I just LOVE the look of an upright bike with hard luggage hanging hard thru a corner... fzck! I can hardly wait for spring!

·
Happiness is the corner
2,031 Posts
^^^ very cool ad. love the sound. to me, it's obvious they are going after the Harley crowd as their target market. great sound. lotsa femmes on back. groups. all good things. 'Merican, maybe not so much...
still, gotta say I just LOVE the look of an upright bike with hard luggage hanging hard thru a corner... fzck! I can hardly wait for spring!
Those Moti are awesome. Developed in conjunction with Pratt & Miller they should be pretty incredible... Then again, they better be when they cost between $31 and $38 thousand! But that motor... drooooool.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I guess by the the time the R Spec got into BC it would be $40,000. Keep dreaming. Beautiful pic of the engine. I hope they succeed even in a niche market.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My K3 Thou for sale 4500$ for a 300 kmh bike AWESOME Bike 50 mpg. At 80 kmh or 30 Mpg 160 kmh . Bombproof Proven Package.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts