• over 45 kilometres per litre

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone else was getting in terms of fuel economy. I do not think my bike is very good, I get about 160km before my fuel light comes on.

My tank has an 18L capacity, but I have no idea when the light comes on. But using a rough estimate of a 2L reserve gives me 10km per L. That is HORRIBLE! My 1999 CBR 900 did better than that, so I wanted to see what everyone else was getting. :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've got a 93 zx-6e with a muzzy and jet kit. I lost a little mileage after the mods.

I meant to vote for between 35-40 mpg. Not kilometers per litre

I'll get about 170 before I decide to fill up. Chances are that your fuel light will come on quite early, with lots of gas to spare. Next time you fill up, record the amount of gas you put in. Then record the distance you went the next time you fill up. Divide your distance by the amount of gas you used between fill-ups. It should come to more than 10km/L

I feel like such a cheapskate, trying to figure out my gas mileage on a motorcycle.
:rider

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I get about 180km before my reserve light comes on after 14L.

180/14=12.8km/L on a $10 fill up.

atom

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I get about 14-15 l/km

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
All I know is I get 240 Km out of my tank before I have to switch to researve. With researve I have gotten 290 km. If I baby it I have gotten 320 with researve but that is no fast acceleration and not going over 5 grand :rolleyes

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy crap Ryan, that is awesome! :eek

I may be off on my reserve estimate, but I am still not going to come close to Ryan's numbers.

What kind of rpm's do you run at? I almost always keep my bike around 7-8k, so I am almost always in first or second gear. I think I am going to try a tank where I accelerate normally, and keep the rpm's in the 3k range, see what kind of a difference that makes. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah for cruising 7000 to 8000 rpm is way to high, keep it around 4000 to 5000rpm. I have a 99 cbr 900 and I get 240km before I have to switch it in reserve. I think it would push to 280 km with reserve, but my rpm are usually at 5000rpm for everyday cruising.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
manny, I thought that I had gotten about 250 on my old 99 Fireblade, but after I figured out what my 929 was getting I just assumed I was rembering incorrectly, that the old Blade could not have done so well and this one is so bad.

I was out today riding two up, so I kept the bike in a gear higher than I normally ride in order to smooth things out for my passenger and so far I am exceeding my previous fuel economy trials. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
I get the same as atomlowe,

180-190km until my warning light comes on, then i'll have another 20-40km after that.

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
fockin kawi's !!
they don't come with a warning light !!

i usually turn the nozzle to reserve around 170

·
Registered
234 Posts
If I keep the RPM around 6,000 I get about 160km till I have to switch to res.

If I ride at or around 8,000 PRM I get a blistering 112km till I have to switch to res.

I have a 18l with 3.5l res.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I get around 160km before I have to switch it to reserve, and my fills are usually around 15L (works out to 10.6km/L)

X

·
0 Posts
Hmm, maybe I should keep off the throttle. 14km/L rough...

P.S. My reserve light on my CBR 929 comes on at approx 1 gallon (3.8L?) :confused

D

·
0 Posts
Xyban,

I have a '01 929 as well and your mileage seems consistant with what myself and other 929 owners have said, vrecksler aside of course,.. and yeah the reservice is 3.8l

I seem to hit between 200-230km before the reserve light comes on.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn, Xyban and dknite, do you have PCIII's? I am just running the base map, and have heard that PC's will ruin some of the mileage in favour of performance, but you guys are killing me! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
the last few days I've been trying 87 octane. Before I used to run 94 octane and was always getting 170-185 until my fuel light came on, well with 87, i've been getting around 190-210 until my light hit. This is all city riding mind you.... hmm.... gonna try 87 again and see what I get, then try 94 after that and see if I notice anything different.... but I was surprised when I hit 212 today until my fuel light came on....

G

·
0 Posts
12r

i've been riding a zx12r to break-in for a customer and it must be the worst mileage ever!its like a freeking truck!or maybe its my throttle hand!wait till the pc3 goes on friday it'll probably be worse for christ sakes oh well its a bullit anyway,keep you posted once i actually do a mileage check it only has 400 kms on it .:rider

D

·
0 Posts
vrecksler,.

No man, no PCIII here,.. thats probably whats killing you a bit,.. but the mileage you are talking about seems pretty bad,.. try reloading your map,.. or loading a different one... cause i can't see it being THAT harse on gas unless you are alwayse on the gas in really high RPM

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Since my Speedo is off (hence my odo is off) I'm guessing:

$8 (@79.9) = 160Km's Indicated, ~140 real Kms.

10 Litres = 140 Kms = 14km/L

So there's my Guess.. 14km/L

Jim.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts