BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering what kind of maintenance you guys do when you put your bike back on the road.

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
oil,tires, other fluids as required, saftey check lines, electric, do a few laps around the block to test brakes, suspension, pre-load starbucks card...then roll out

S

·
0 Posts
I just got an oil change, did the tyres. Did a once over to make sure nothing had leaked and everything felt dandy. And that was that :p

·
Superduper V-twin Rider
318 Posts
doug said:
never leaves the road, so normal maintenance.
Best technique available. Insure it year round :rockon instead of having to de-ice it every year and watching it in your garage itching to ride.

N

·
0 Posts
daveyboy33 said:
Best technique available. Insure it year round :rockon instead of having to de-ice it every year and watching it in your garage itching to ride.
Easier for some than others!!! We actually get snow and ice here...so riding 365 isn't an option! It's not the cold...it's the packed snow that's a bitch!

I'm afraid some are forever cursed to retire their rides for atleast a couple months.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
If it's an older bike it's wise to squirt some grease into the pivots if it hasn't been done in a few years. Also oil and filter of course. And if it's the second season for the spark plugs I try them out and if they don't run clean within 40 to 60 kms of play riding then I figure it's time for new plugs. Oh, and assuming it's an oiled foam air filter every year it gets cleaned and re-oiled. Chain tension check of course as well as pull the fairings to allow the other work and give access to get inside the bike to check out for anything amiss.

Every second year the street bike gets a brake fluid flush through both ends.

Spring checks include the brake pads for thickness and a general go over all of the fasteners for tightness. I don't torque hard enough to turn them unless I find that they are loose to my generic test torque for that particular size of fastener.

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
None! Like Micheal I'm "fastidiot". Maintenance is for girls and men that are like them.

Get on and ride. Fix what is broke. Why waste time when you can be out doing manly things like killing animals or drinking beer till it comes back out again. Don't fall for this maintenance thing they talk of as it sounds a lot like housework to me. What next? Will you be sweeping out the garage or, God forbid, washing the bike. End the madness now........

·
More filling!
486 Posts
RiceRocket said:
Shouldn't need to change oil and filter if you did it prior to storage, unless you put crappy oil, right?
Right! Oil change should be a pre-storage chore. Wouldn't want to let the bike sit all winter with that nasty corrosive used oil inside, right????

RIGHT??????

:rtfm

So, for me, oil was done before taking ride off the road and I change my oil based on mileage, not time. Keeping the battery happy/healthy is done all winter long, so no extra maintenance required there.

With the above said, I checked the fluid levels and tire pressures, lubed the chain and rode out into the....um.....drizzle. :rockon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts