BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for a Dual sport , something easy to ride ( beginer ) and want to beable to take it on fishing trips to look for those great lost lakes .
Now , I see that a dual sport is a "street legal" bike ,

BUT ... what stops a person from buying a "regular" dirtbike and adding a headlight , turn signals , DOT tires and a license plate and using it on the street ??
Am I missing something to this ?

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Blaze One said:
BUT ... what stops a person from buying a "regular" dirtbike and adding a headlight , turn signals , DOT tires and a license plate and using it on the street ??
Am I missing something to this ?
what you are describing is a Motard, kind of

·
glowing ghostie!
3,112 Posts
Blaze One said:
I would think the electrics might not be up to the part: perhaps not enough power to run everything, not to mention you'd have to add leads to the wiring harness? But I'm just guessing.

Then there's the question of getting it past inspection. Sure, you can get it done, but for most it's way less hassle to pay the cash for a direct-from-the-factory street-legal model.

·
Registered
219 Posts
street legal TTR 230

....My friends, roomates, boss's wifes...cat.....(protecting his identity) put a http://www.bajadesigns.com/ kit on his TTR 230. ($800?)
Walked into an autoplan and got a plate no problem.
Only problem is the front brake does not activate the back brake light.
(hes working on that)
He hasn't done his yard test yet...not so sure if he would get through.

It is super fun to ride on the road and the bike is putting up with it.
The gears are obviously short, its low to the ground, easy to ride and excellent on gas.

gordopolis said:
I would think the electrics might not be up to the part: perhaps not enough power to run everything, not to mention you'd have to add leads to the wiring harness? But I'm just guessing.

Then there's the question of getting it past inspection. Sure, you can get it done, but for most it's way less hassle to pay the cash for a direct-from-the-factory street-legal model.

·
Registered
219 Posts
oops, forgot to answer your question.

I believe....not all dirt bikes are designed for long/constant/ high rev freeway rides. (overheating etc.)

The TRR max's out at about 70km/h-90km/h.
[change of sprocket required]

The tires are not "street legal" but they do just fine
(may just wear out quicker)

Not all dirt bikes have an ignition, so its easily stolen.

TTR's drum back brake is a small issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts