BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Langley CBR Freak
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to what rpm's most people here to keep there bike around when cruising( city driving), I know there are many many variables to this. Owners manual on my 600 says you should be in like 6th gear by 60km? I tend to keep rpm's around 4-5k range. Anyways thank you all for your input:thumbup

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
That would depend a lot on the bike. A litre-bike will be easier to putter around at low RPM than say, a 250cc.

Around the city my 400 tends to settle into a sweet spot around 5500-6500 where it's not annoyingly buzzy but has enough power to get away quickly if need be. I wouldn't ever use 6th gear at 60km/h on it, crack the throttle and get a stop watch out.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,296 Posts
At 60km/h I'm usually in second on my R6. I put it in 6th gear around 110-120km/h. All of my bike's power is fairly high up the RPM range, so I usually cruise at around 7-8k, where the power just begins to build up. If I'm riding aggressively through some twisties I'll be keeping the RPMs at 9-10k to have that instant power (should I need it).

If you're cruising, ride at the lowest RPMs you can while still having enough power to give 'er some if you need to.

·
This space for rent
2,099 Posts
You're right - too many variables. But in general, the right gear (which is really your question I think) is one in which you have immediate acceleration if you twist, and don't have an overly twitchy response to small changes in throttle. This twitchy response is dangerous in corners.

6th at 60 km/hr might fail the 'has immediate acceleration if you twist' rule

·
Super Moderator
23,555 Posts
Just curious as to what rpm's most people here to keep there bike around when cruising( city driving), I know there are many many variables to this. Owners manual on my 600 says you should be in like 6th gear by 60km? I tend to keep rpm's around 4-5k range. Anyways thank you all for your input:thumbup
No hard set rules, depends on bike, type of riding, personal preference, etc.

Once you get some miles under your belt, it will just be natural, a "feel", you'll hardly ever look at the tach.

You probably want the bike to be in a place, where you could accelerate away from a problem, if necessary.

So, if it's a 600CC sportbike, riding around in the city in 6th gear may not leave you with anything on top, should you need it.

You should be able to roll the throttle on gently, and accelerate away relatively smooth. The lower the gear (higher rpm's), the more jerky and abruptly this will be.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hmmm.

The weeBR 125 is usually happy buzzing along in town at around 6-8000 in 3rd/4th for the most part, but any deviation and we're looking at 10000 2nd/3rd/4th, depending.:D

Sheesh, I'm rarely in 6th even on the highway @115 kph, 11000 RPM but if all is clear and no slight inclines, gum wrappers, or mild breeze present, helmet in the paint, she'll show 130 on the speedo, (accuracy, probably knock at least what? 10% off that?) in 6th @11250-ish.

I'm out of 1st before I get through the intersection, through 2nd to 3rd as fast as I can clutchless shift, and either hover in 3rd at high-ish rpm, or go to 4th and maintain 6-8000 if no more speed needed.

Prior to swapping out the stock 15T front sprocket for a 14T, 6th was almost a reverse gear for me, lol. Shift into 6th, and Bog city...

·
Noob-but-not-born-ystrday
880 Posts
Holy ****, that's high.

While it would not apply to most bikes on this board - My vrod is usually around 60kph [email protected] - [email protected] - which covers the range to 90kph. On the highway I'm usually in 4th - which takes me way past speed limits..

I switch between 1st and 2nd depending on the situation. Lots of stop and go - dry weather - I keep it real low (usually never get out of first.
Rain or slippery I am usually in 3rd early on to avoid the torque in corners.

Generally in good weather you'll want one gear lower than the manual says. Rainy stick to the recommended gear.

·
backslider
11,252 Posts
my K1200S has torque from the bottom of the hole all the way to the future - any gear works just fine !!

note: your fuel consumption changes drastically the higher you wind it out)

·
Noob-but-not-born-ystrday
880 Posts
my K1200S has torque from the bottom of the hole all the way to the future - any gear works just fine !!

note: your fuel consumption changes drastically the higher you wind it out)
Oddly, I found that fuel consumption does not change that much between keeping it at 3500 and 5000 - at least for me. Past 6000, yes, it sucks the fuel back. I'm thinking every engine has their sweet spot and it's usually a range. Same on my cars - I found revving at a constant did not alter fuel economy as much as acceleration.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Around town - 2nd gear pretty much all the time. Litre bike = automatic.

·
wannabe motorcyclist
399 Posts
60km at 6 gear???? Are you sure that you are reading your manual right? Are you sure that the manual didn't say 60MPH?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If your bikes have so much power and torque, why stick to 2nd gear? Even if 2nd gear will go to 150km/h, the gearing spread has to be pretty tight, why not use 4th or 5th or even 6th?

When I test-rode the FZ1 in the spring at a Pac-Yam demo day, I found it was geared in such a way that I could pitter-patter around in 4th with ample power and revs to get away quickly if the need be

·
Registered
193 Posts
My bike, SV650S is a V-twin and has a 11,000 redline.

For the first season, I think I never got above 7000 RPM!

Now I ride 4000-7000 around town and on the open road more like 7000-10000.

You will get a feel for where you want to be....

·
Super Moderator
23,555 Posts
If your bikes have so much power and torque, why stick to 2nd gear? Even if 2nd gear will go to 150km/h, the gearing spread has to be pretty tight, why not use 4th or 5th or even 6th?
I think you can do 160kmh in 1st gear in the Gixxer, over 200 in 2nd, you'd have to ride one to see what a huge difference.

The gearing is not that short/tight, they just seem to pull forever!

That said, you can easily run around town in 3rd or 4th and have plenty on tap too.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
60km at 6 gear???? Are you sure that you are reading your manual right? Are you sure that the manual didn't say 60MPH?

The F4i manual says 6th gear at 60kph. It also tells you how to change gears etc, so it's obviously aimed at someone who's never ever sat on a bike before. Low revs = less chance of a spill due to sudden acceleration.

·
+1
2,281 Posts
2,000 to 4,000 around town. Mind you it idles at 750 and 7,000 is redline.

4,000rpm in fifth is 140kmh

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
When I test-rode the FZ1 in the spring at a Pac-Yam demo day, I found it was geared in such a way that I could pitter-patter around in 4th with ample power and revs to get away quickly if the need be
cuz the FZ1 has been tuned to create a wide, flat torque curve and power band. check out this dyno run: 65 ft lbs torque by 4000 rpm, rising only to about 75 at 7-9000, and staying above 60 till abt 11,000.
http://www.holeshot.com/dynocharts/dyno_fz1_header.html

vs the R1, which is tuned for way more top end power, but which doesn't hit 60 ft lbs torque until about 6-7000 rpm. course it makes WAY more power - roughly 150hp at abt 12,000 rpm vs abt 135hp at 10k
http://www.sportrider.com/dyno/146_sportbike_dyno_charts/photo_244.html

which, to the OP's question, means you probably ride the R1 around town a gear or two lower than the FZ1, cuz that's where the powerband lies...

what kinda bike you got, toyz?

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
I run around town between 4000 and 6000rpm's in 2nd gear. that gives me a speed between 65 and 100kph. Good for any speed from Columbia st to Hgwy 1.

·
oldskool suzuki rules
2,043 Posts
3500rpm at 100km, 1psi boost, throttle just cracked about 1/8 turn, go wide open and boost shoots to 6psi by 4000rpm. Of course after that point I only watch for the shift light. :D

Around town pretty much the same thing, 3500 seems to be the sweet spot, anything more is just plain crazy!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts