BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So there are very persistent rumours Honda will axe the slow selling VFR after the 2007 model. The RC 51 is done, and the Blackbird is long gone.

So what should Honda come up with to fill the gap between the CBR 1000 and the ST1300?

Could it be this (from Speedzilla):

Heard a vicious rumor from the deepest parts in Japan, that Honda WILL be making a 1196cc vtwin RC62... 167bhp stock crate for the public, styling looking between a zx14 and zx10, but is keeping a near identical looking bird scooper up front... due out in late 2008.

... weight for the RC62 (RVT12R) would actually be around 400ish... wet. Will still have gear driven cams, an updated single massive swing arm, 46mm inverted forks, stearing dampner, tasty analog gauges, 5.20 gal tank (not sure for US spec) 32bit ECU, more revised frame... but keeping a look of the past RC's, and actual front radiator (large core type) and larger oil cooler.

So, what should Honda build.... or do we all buy the Ducati 1098 :laughing ??

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
I think that one will stay up on the MCN imaginary bikes list with the 500cc V-2 2-stroke in Doohan livery, and the V-5 VFR and Blackbird.

I'd be happy if the FMX650 made it over here.

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
If Honda builds that bike I'll buy one, no question.

Personally I'd like to see a serious V4 like the old RC30's and RC45's but 1000cc and done right. A V5 would be even cooler, but production cost would certainly cause the pricetag to be about $20,000 / bike. They definately need to keep up the RC line, it's just too good to drop.

·
Shiftless clutcher
2,738 Posts
Lower down on the displacement scale, what I'd really like to see Honda build is a competitor for the SV650, to liven up the middeweight twins class, both on the road and on the track.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
A Blackbird 1200, and a smoking 750 V-4 would be my choice. And lose those hideous Honda graphics.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Duno who's going to make it, but they need the ergos of my V Strom, kick of a GSX-R 1000, coolness of a V 4, and that great gear driven cam sound ... I'd buy it..

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
I dunno. Much as I'd like to see an RC to fight the 1098, or a litre bike race rep V4, I'd like to see a bike in the spirit of the more recent VFR's carry on (more displacement and more power is fine, but I don't want a sport-tourer that gets 30mpg and burns through a rear tire every 2000km).

I'm always puzzled by the kinds of things some VFR owners want--I don't understand why they would have purchased VFR's to begin with.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I finally looked at the 1098........very nice but does it remind anyone else of the Trumpet 675?

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GSP said:
I'm always puzzled by the kinds of things some VFR owners want--I don't understand why they would have purchased VFR's to begin with.
I would buy another current model VFR is an instant. The V-4 has good power, torque and smoothness and rips w/ good pipes, the ergos are perfect for me, ABS is now a must-have for me and clipping on the luggage and touring around is a treat - but another 10 or 20 hp would be nice. Previous models have their own charms too - without the VTEC if that is an issue.

Part of the trouble is that Honda has never marketed or advertised the bike - when was the last time anyone saw an ad for a VFR? Kind of odd that it looks like they are going to kill the only 800cc V-4 in their lineup when MotoGp is switching similar specs. Another missed marketing opportunity.

But you are right Brent - some folks are never happy... and never will be happy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Hey Thump, you have the right idea. With the switch to 800cc MotoGP machines there may be more interest and emphasis on less than litre machines. It would also follow that there will be more research, racing and racing trickle down for bikes of this size. Maybe there is further potential for the VFR or a Viffer-like bike down the road. Maybe a 5 cylinder VFR with a 16000 rpm red line? Whatever "Big Red" comes up with it should be interesting.

·
Dark lurker
1,409 Posts
I would buy another current model VFR is an instant. The V-4 has good power, torque and smoothness and rips w/ good pipes, the ergos are perfect for me, ABS is now a must-have for me and clipping on the luggage and touring around is a treat - but another 10 or 20 hp would be nice. Previous models have their own charms too - without the VTEC if that is an issue.

Part of the trouble is that Honda has never marketed or advertised the bike - when was the last time anyone saw an ad for a VFR? Kind of odd that it looks like they are going to kill the only 800cc V-4 in their lineup when MotoGp is switching similar specs. Another missed marketing opportunity.

But you are right Brent - some folks are never happy... and never will be happy.
+1

I never did understand Honda's marketing department. They have a market for one of the sportiest touring bikes & they are just going to give it up?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I went from a 96 VFR to my current RC51. The Viffer was a great bike but I wanted something w/more power and newer (at least for me) and a bit more sporty. The RC fit that bill but eventually I'll probably more over to something a bit more comfortable and versatile; maybe add another bike. I didn't get the new VFR as I'm not a fan of the VTEC system and the VFR felt unnecessarily porky, I had hoped it'd be trimmed down a bit but Honda never did (why mess w/what's worked to date, eh? Fair enough.).

If Honda came out with a revised VFR, I'd for sure give it serious thought. I'd like to see a bump in displacement and power (another 20 hp w/healthy torque), reduce the weight, and lose the VTEC (not likely though).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts