BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought this could happen but it did. My wife (Katie) and I were both riding back from Abby today and as we turned off onto Grandview she started horning me like crazy. I slowed down to see what was up and I noticed that her shifter was dragging on the ground. I was like WTF is this!:confused We just bought the bike recently and we also just had it serviced. Katie told me she thought it was stuck in 4th gear. Great! Then it started to rain. Ahh only wearing jeans and non waterproof jackets. We used one of her hair ties to hold the shifter and it worked. So I rode her bike back all the way to UBC in 4th looking like a moron who doesn't know how to shift :laughing Anyways I am going into Carter on Monday (if they are open) and freak because this should not happen. :mad

C

·
0 Posts
Was anything broken with the shifter or did it just come unbolted?

I had a similar incident but not a serious as yours. About two weeks after I got my R1, I was washing it and the front fender seemed very loose. I took a look and both screws on one side were missing and the other side was loose. It was the second time I washed it and I'm pretty sure I would of noticed it the first time. The screws must have been installed loose and vibrated out.

I don't know if your shifter is factory installed or dealer installed but the dealer should be checking all the screws/bolts. Why else do we pay the dealer prep charge????

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
hey guys... yer ride is YER responsibility... NOT the dealers.... ALL of you should be checking your bikes BEFORE you ride them.. tightening bolts/screws etc... checking yer chain and oil etc etc etc...

this is BASIC riding 101 ...

stop blaming other people.

sheesh!!

H

·
0 Posts
If you can honestly say that you do a half-hour prep with screwdriver before everyride then cheers to you....The guys at pac yam tried to give me this BS after my HANDLE BAR bolt came off TWO days after a $250 service. Needless to say I ripped him pretty good(with the help of xyban)

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem on an F3. The bolt was special order believe it or not. He just left it in second and took it easy on the way home. Spending a few mins checking bolts is worth it....even though I'm bad for it too:p .

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
HaMmeR6 said:
If you can honestly say that you do a half-hour prep with screwdriver before everyride then cheers to you....The guys at pac yam tried to give me this BS after my HANDLE BAR bolt came off TWO days after a $250 service. Needless to say I ripped him pretty good(with the help of xyban)
uh... no... but how about once a week? or how bout checking over things when you get gas.... I walk my bike every time I ride...

ehy.. if it's too much werk for you and you wanna blame the dealer whenever you can good luck... they wont be there to save yer ass when yer in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere and yer bike comes apart... no amount of bitching will help at that point.....

then and only then will you realize that your relationship is with your bike and not your dealer...

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm...I guess dealers have opinions too eh fish_antlers :laughing . No seriously, I do check my bike every week to make sure stuff is securely attached. I did not see this bolt loose so that is why I am pissed. Agreed on your point that it is the rider's responsibility but not if you agree to have the bike serviced, checked over, clutch adjusted, chain adjusted etc.. to have this happen so soon after a service. All I want them to do is to replace the bolt. It is easy for you to say that the dealer has no responsibility in this but if a bike is sold to someone they are selling you a bike in good working order. I don't think a boltless clutch lever fits that description. I know the guys at Carter really well and have been jacked around and basically ripped off by the old service crew but I continue to go there because I am impressed with the new service crew and how they remedied the problems created by the old staff. As a dealer (if that's what you are), you should remember that the customer is paying you for a service or product. If you would like to keep their business you try to work out a compromise to keep the customer happy and have them return. As a buyer I try to stay resonable in my requests but I do demand good customer service or I wont return simple as that.:thumbup

X

·
0 Posts
I don't know what I would do if my shifter fell off.. :confused

If the dealership has just serviced it + did a overall check - they should bite the 1.50 cents (retail) it costs for the bolt.. (thats my opinion, ask Ehsan about losing bolts :D).

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I partially agree with Fish, everyone should be checking screws and bolts - maybe not before every ride, but before a long ride or every few weeks I'd say. These are motorcycles. They vibrate. Nuff said.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
all I know is that when I rode my 12 home from BK some parts fell of.. then more fell off in the ensuing weeks... they're a great dealership, and basically I have a hard time blaming them for anything.... . hey.. these machines vibrate like hell and shit falls off... what are you gonna do? complaining wont do nearly as much as some safety wire and loctite...

my $2 werth..

... question.... the shifter that fell off... . were they servicing it or was the bike just in for a service?

C

·
0 Posts
When you buy a new bike you expect a certain level of quality. Screws and bolts should be tightened to spec and locktited on. It most likely is not the dealer but the manufacturer, except stuff should not be falling off by your first service! My bike is two years old now and I constantly check it over, chain lube, wash, overall check, etc.. But a brand new bike with bolts popping off. Houston we have a problem!:p

·
ROAR!!!!!!
1,175 Posts
fish: so, what you are saying is that if someone bought a brand new bike from a dealer and got in some serious accident because some parts came off the bike it would be the buyer's responsibility? OR Say somone just spent $250 on service and it turned out that the parts that were removed during service weren't put back on properly, it would be the owner's responsiblity as well?? GET REAL!! I don't suppose you check over your bike at the dealer place (or wherever you take your bike for service) RIGHT AFTER it get serviced or DO YOU?

·
ROAR!!!!!!
1,175 Posts
fish_antlers said:

uh... no... but how about once a week? or how bout checking over things when you get gas.... I walk my bike every time I ride...

ehy.. if it's too much werk for you and you wanna blame the dealer whenever you can good luck... they wont be there to save yer ass when yer in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere and yer bike comes apart... no amount of bitching will help at that point.....

then and only then will you realize that your relationship is with your bike and not your dealer...
Some harsh words there hey? First, we blame the dealer or service guys or whatever because we want them to know they did something wrong and they cannot get away with it!! We point out their careless mistakes so that they'll be more careful when servicing other ppl's bikes in the future. Second, WE ARE CONSUMERS!! WE FUCKING PAY for the services that are done to our bikes; therfore, we EXPECT some degree of QUALITY SERVICES. If they are not professional enough, then they should close down their service bay before someone gets in some serious accident because of a loose bolt.

H

·
0 Posts
fish_antlers said:

don't comment on me or my "relationship" with my bike if u don't know me. Damb right I have "relationship" with my dealer, I payed 12,700 for a bike and then $250 for a service, I'm going to be deservingly pissed when they make a mistake. I take care of my bike more than other things a normal person would(living area, work, school) so if something does happen as a result of my carelessness I know I only have me to blame...I won't, as you etiquitly put it, bitch. You should read my post more carefully before getting so defensive.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
that is freaky :(

I always check to make sure my bolts and screws are tighten up, but again, I have lost 1 fairing bolt already :(

·
Slideways
2,937 Posts
My bud bought a KTM 640 SUPERMOTO from Carter Honda and not even 200k on the bike and the main bolt holding the shock in was half hanging out and had did some damage to the suspention $650 fght & pdi fer what???????:firemad

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
so I ask again.... was the shift lever worked on during this service? Did this service have anything at all to do with the shift lever?

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure fish_antlers. They did work on the clutch and also took apart the front wheel assembly. I am going to ask them that myself on Tue when I go in there.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
if they did then you have every right to be pissed.. if not it's kinda like complaining the know fell off yer car stereo when they werked on the tranny.... annoying and shitty, yet hard to complain to them about..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts