BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick question .. what were the R6 and R1 before they were R6 and R1 ... and what year was that ... any idea if there were any major differences ?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
FZR 600 and FZR 1000
Um no. It was YZF 600 thundercat, and YZF 1000 thunderace....the last year of the YZF 1000 was 1997, (I almost bought a blue and black one)

G

·
I believe the R1 came out in 1998 & the R6 came out a year after in 1999. I might be a year off.

I think the older Yamaha's were called Genesis.....or maybe that was the fairings name like "Deltabox"

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I believe the R1 came out in 1998 & the R6 came out a year after in 1999. I might be a year off.

I think the older Yamaha's were called Genesis.....or maybe that was the fairings name like "Deltabox"
yup you are bang on

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Being a former Thunderace owner, I can attest to the pure awesomeness of those bikes. :thumbup

·
Registered
260 Posts
true that adam...
it's the same reason that Kawasaki still has the ZZR 600... which is really just the 2000 ZX6. marketing and trends are strange bedfellows and hindsight, bike genesis, and history are always interesting studies. when the YZF series of Yamahas were being released they were set to replace the FZR line of sportbikes, which at the time, were considered getting to be "too hard core" for the buying public. hence the more upright super-sport-touring riding positions and larger dimensions of these machines.
yet not too many model years later... the YZF's were "replaced" on showroom floors by the R6 and R1 - next genesis motors and technology (no yamaha pun intended) and hardcore take-no-prisoners race replicas that were smaller, lighter, and faster... and blew the YZF's right into the bargain bins.
what's next? who knows... but whatever it is... it's ALL good. :laughing

ps... check out Yamaha's Motard/Standard hybrid Euro-only MT03. <cue eeeevil SuperMoto laugh>

·
Livin' la Vida Loca
957 Posts
the yzf600r was intro'd in '97 as competitor to the best selling middleweight sportbike at the time, the cbr600 F3. A nice all-rounder with a low cost steel frame, a curb weight of about 480lbs, big fairing, plush seat and a engine tuned for torque. It was alway intended to be the sport touring 600. The R6 intro'd in '99 and changed the 600 class as a viable alterative to 750's. Low weight, 97hp, braced rear swingarm in a small-for-time chassis.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
This month's Motorcyclist has a blurb near the back on the mighty YZF, precursor to the original 1998 R1.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
OMG - for the first time I'm starting to feel old. :eek A bike that I remember being introduced, with great anticipation, is now being taught as a history lesson to new riders.

For shame!

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I hear ya, Harps. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
you're not old Harps... you're "VINTAGE" like me. :laughing
...and look y'all! intelligent, flame-free, sportbike conversation! wonders will never cease... :p

1 - 20 of 33 Posts