BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the story I bought a bike from a shop ( I won't mention any names). The guy told me when I looked at it that he always puts new brakes on the bikes he sells, all the bikes pass a B.C. provincial safety inspection and he goes through them thouroghly.

So I give the bike a once over and go for a ride around the parking lot no strange noises and it feels tight and ok. Well I spent the rest of the morning checking out bikes but this paticular bike just kept calling out to me so I bought it.

Now this shop offers a thirty day in house warrenty but I don't even live remotely close to it so this mean not much to me. Well five minutes after I leave the shop I'm back because the gas cap needs a different key, no problem changes the cap ( bike is a rebuilt ) back to the original and off I go. Well about an hour later I'm pulling into the ferry terminal when oh shit no rear brakes almost smoke a mini van. Nothing to major a bolt fell out of the rear master cylinder and it was pivoting instead of applying. Stop in Nanaimo and clear up the problem, had been a couple of drops of oil on the ferry deck under the bike but couldn't see anything so check the oil and keep on riding (no sign of oil at the dealership in Nanaimo I stopped at). Now head up Island towords home at a fairly good clip and at one point ( straight roads suck) start to sololumn the center line (two lane divided highway with no one but my friend on his Katana around). Arrive home shut bike off come back to it oh 10 - 15 minutes later to see huge puddle of oil under it and then notice rear tire/ swing arm (right hand side of bike ) from pulsar cover back is coated in oil. Well I lose it call shop I bought bike from and tear him a new asshole. Tells me to find prob and call him on tuesday.

Well Tues comes and I call appologize for losing my temper and start to deal with problem. he agrees to send me the parts I need and after I commented that the front brakes looked a little thin he agreed to throw in a set for my troubles. Cool get parts put bike together think shit there should be enough pad to get through the season so I'll save them and put the pads in over the winter.

So I go for a couple of rides and deside to pop by my buddy's shop and show off my new ride, he throws an eagle eye over the bike and says holy shit man you better go order a set of rear pads man your metal on metal. Now I'm mad I talk to oh so wonderful sales man again and another set of pads are enroute but I'm too busy at work to do the repair so now I'm paying some one else to do them and to check over the bike with an unbiased eye.

So after all that here's my delemia this bike had just gone through a B.C. inspection by the shop I bought it from and I've only put about 450km on it since I bought it. Yes it is a used bike but with what was done to it I feel I should lodge a complain with the department of Motor Vehicles inspection branch and I.C.B.C's rebuilder department. Why you might ask because if tjis had been someone's first bike this problemscould have hurt or killed them, I've got a lot of miles on bikes and knew what to do. what I'd like to know is what would you do??? I'm sorry this is such a long letter but I'm in a slight moral dilemna and wouldn't mind some feed back.

thanks T-bone

·
Registered
787 Posts
well, first off.....if your key didn't fit the gas cap.....then something was fishy.....that 30 day warranty....was it included or did u have to pay for it and did not bother taking it?

anyways....i'd say take it back and get a full refund.....or demand to have it all fixed by the shop...

if they decline i'd suggest maybe taking them to court or going to the BBB(Better Business Bureau).

I don't know much about these things...but thought that it would help u with some ideas of what to do.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
My opinion:

I'd take it to a locally trusted shop, and have it looked over. If it did in fact pass a 'inspection' that is certified, I'm assuming you got some kind of sticker/certificate that says this? Perhaps you can hold this against him. I would also charge him back for this service as he obviously failed to check over some critical parts that could have ended up in a HUGE liability suit to him. Who knows what else is wrong? Seems careless.

I had a really bad experience buying my first car off a guy who rebuilt cars, and had nothing but problems.. sounded very much like the story you just told me. I would lodge a complaint with ICBC and the rebuilder inspector (if there truely is such a thing).

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vengence??? will be mine

I took the bike to a trusted shop we spent some time checking it out and found lots of little things that could have added up to a tragedy. In talking to another friend who is a licenced bike tech and inspector (I'm an automobile repair technician or as I perfer mechanic) and I was told to talk to the ministry of transport and lodge a complaint this could result in his inspectors licence being revoked(the shop I bought it from inspected it) and to ICBC as he has to be an approved rebuilder and lodge a complaint against him there as well. The more I think about it the more I think I'll be making some calls on Monday.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'd sue if the bike wasn't. Your risking your life on a machine not properly certified? You were seriously risking life and limb.

Not cool in my books, I'd be pissed.

B

·
0 Posts
Jay P said:
Might I suggest you name this shop so we can avoid it?
ditto man, might save us some grief in the future...at least we'd have a heads up to be wary when buying there:thumbup

·
Slideways
2,937 Posts
I agree with all said abouve ...do what is right!:thumbup

·
high side racing
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what shop it was

K If ya wanna know what shop it was send me a private E-mail and I'll tell ya cause even though the shop screwed me I don't want to face a libial suite. but I will tell ya in a privat e-mail k

1 - 9 of 9 Posts