BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Biggest factor that impacts your decision on the price of your used bike (Seller)

• How much I still owe on the thing

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • How many Kilometers it has on it

• How "Minty" it is.....A.K.A "Starbucksability"

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • All the Mods I did to it

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • The desireability of the bike itself

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • What the market is currently bearing

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Time of year

• How desperate I am for the cash

• The Buyer ( you like or don't like..so the price changes accordingly)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How desperate the Buyer appears

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Federal Protection
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to understand what motoivates the pricing decision from a sellers point of view... and to give some that understaning to the buyer community

·
Federal Protection
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The poll only allows one choice (by design)... and I know there are a lot of factors that could negate your original choice for another...so post up some of your assumptions if you want.... remember it says "What is the BIGGEST factor"

An again the intention of the poll is to let the buyer community (specially the noobs) understand some of the motivations a seller has in regards to price.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It seems like there's a lot of nice, newish and otherwise interesting bikes on the used market right now. So I don't think there are too many 'desperate' buyers around. Unless they're in the market for something in really short supply... like a Scott Flying Squirrel.

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
The 'market' dictates the price. Some markets are stronger/softer than others.

The lower mainland market seems pretty strong, and tends to get decent money for good clean used bikes.

Go hit up a few guys selling their bikes in Alberta, and I'll bet you'll see a bigger price drop than the same ride on the coast.

My 2 cents.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I wish it weren't the case, but 'what the market will bear' is all you can rely on. I've sold a lot of cars & bikes (private sale - I'm not a dealer) and while you may 'luck-out' and find the buyer who absolutely MUST have your used bike... rely only on the market value when considering your purchasing power for your new / replacement bike.

The reason I won't sell my VTR is simply -and realistically- because I know that despite the fact it's the best one around (no, really ;))... it's worth far more to me than its' market value. It would cost me 3X it's market value to even begin to replace it with something so well set up. It's not just my bike I'm considering here; when I see the low re-sale value (market value) on so many good bikes, I wonder why some folks don't just buy the quality used bikes out there ...and avoid payments altogether. My 2kms...

·
license to chill
2,877 Posts
The main criteria I used for the one bike I've sold is whether or not, if I could go back and buy it again at my new price, would I?

Easiest to do objectively if you haven't had it for long (no attachment) and haven't done mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts