BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly, there used to be "motorcycles ok" written on the HOV signs.
Now I don't see that on the #1 or the 99. What's the deal? Thanks in advance, Vance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
To my knowledge, #99 northbound is purely for buses. #99 southbound motorcycle ok.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I'll ask a traffic guy that I know. He works out of Dease Island and that's his playground.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
The new northbound lanes from King George Highway on are bus only. The old northbound ones from Ladner Trunk on are still Motorcycle OK.

The southbound approaching the tunnel are on and off in various sections for motorcycles. Pay close attention to the signage.

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
On the #1 they applied stickers to all the little signs that sit above the HOV lane. The sticker now shows the hours instead of motorcycle OK. Somewhere, I believe in the Burnaby Stretch is a large sign in the middle that states Motorcycles OK.

·
Registered
202 Posts
"Motorcycles are exempted from having to qualify according to the sign and may always use the HOV lane."

Division 42 MVAR sets out an exemption for motorcycles in 42.02(3)(d). There is no sign required to be exempt, but if there is a sign there prohibiting it, then the motorcycle must not use an HOV lane.
http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/lanes/using-hov-lanes

(2) A driver of a vehicle that is not a high occupancy vehicle must not use a high occupancy vehicle lane on a highway other than a freeway except if necessary

(a) to make a right turn from the lane, at the first intersection where the turn is permitted, to access a highway intersecting the lane or premises adjacent to the lane,

(b) to make a right turn from an intersecting highway or premises adjacent to the lane, at the first intersection where the turn is permitted, to access the highway in which the lane is situated, or

(c) to merge into an adjacent vehicle lane for the purposes of paragraph (b).

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to

(a) the driver of a marked vehicle responding to a disabled vehicle or another emergency on the laned roadway where the high occupancy vehicle lane is located,

(b) the driver of an emergency vehicle,

(c) a peace officer on active duty,

(d) an operator of a cycle, motorcycle, taxi or handy dart vehicle, or

(e) the driver of a blood delivery vehicle while transporting blood or blood products.
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/26_58_13#part_division42

You do not need the "Motorcycles OK" notice to be allowed to use the HOV lane - the purpose of the sign is more of a friendly reminder. Just make sure it is actually an HOV lane you are in, and not a restricted bus lane. BTW, I keep a printout of this section with my Regi under my seat, for the odd LEO who isn't even clear on this. A colleague of mine got pulled over by a cop who insisted that the "motorcycle OK" sign must be posted for it to be allowed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fyi, the hov lane southbound on the lions gate bridge reads "motorcycles ok" :p
What about northbound? I drive or ride over the Lion's Gate daily on my commute from North Van to UBC. On the Georgia street approach, the far right-hand lane is HOV with a picture of a bus or a car carrying 3 passengers. However, after Denman St., the signs no longer have the car on them. Can bikes continue in the bus lane? It seems silly to me that bikes can use the bus line right up to the merge point when going southbound but would be prohibited from doing so northbound.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Just found this thread ... was helpful. In summary, motorcycles are allowed on all HOV lanes but not allowed on Bus Only Lanes ... both use similar symbols - white diamond inside black rectangle. You must look carefully at symbol if it has car with heads on it, if so, it is HOV. If only a bus, then it is Bus Only.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?121888-HOV-lanes-for-motorcycles-and-scooters/page2
I believe there's an exception to this rule in West Vancouver as you approach the Lions Gate heading east on Marine Drive, motorcycles are allowed to use the bus lane upon entering the bridge traffic but no multi person vehicles are allowed the same privilege!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I believe there's an exception to this rule in West Vancouver as you approach the Lions Gate heading east on Marine Drive, motorcycles are allowed to use the bus lane upon entering the bridge traffic but no multi person vehicles are allowed the same privilege!
same westbound, from Capilano Rd to the bridge.

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
we're on motorcycles..... sidewalks are fair game.....shoulders, construction zones.... all of it..... it's our world...they are just driving in it.... :evilgrin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts