BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
john would do it
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It had started last summer and it just blinks on and off with the temp gauge display. The owners manual said that it's a fault with the fuel injetion system.

I have read on other various sites that I might be able to put it into dealer mode and get more verified info from the on-board computer. It said to do this you had to access a small electrical box under the rear cowl, between the two seats. Then to get the two terminal electrical conector hanging dead off of it and jumper the two terminals together.

Can anyone verify this onfo for me or have any advise on the nature of this warning light?

·
Car Magnet.
275 Posts
It had started last summer and it just blinks on and off with the temp gauge display. The owners manual said that it's a fault with the fuel injetion system.

I have read on other various sites that I might be able to put it into dealer mode and get more verified info from the on-board computer. It said to do this you had to access a small electrical box under the rear cowl, between the two seats. Then to get the two terminal electrical conector hanging dead off of it and jumper the two terminals together.

Can anyone verify this onfo for me or have any advise on the nature of this warning light?
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

·
awful human
3,139 Posts

Just go to http://www.gixxer.com/forums/ and do some searching for "FI codes" and "dealer mode". You will find what you are looking for.

:thumbup

·
aka Bones
81 Posts
Gee, seems to me there might be a problem with your fuel injection... Rather than burning out a cylinder or 4 maybe you should take it to a qualified mechanic instead of ignoring a built in safety mechanism to prevent engine failure. You can drop a few bucks for an analysis or a whole lot of bucks for a new motor. Just a thought. Since last summer? Seriously?

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
the F"1" light could indicate that the bike wants to go faster!!
Wouldn't it say "MotoGP" then? I know mine does. :laughing :laughing :laughing

:devillook

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does your bike have any other symptoms other than the FI Flashing? Just cause it reads FI, doesn't necessarily mean it's the Fuel Injection system. It could also be electronic as well.

Are you experiencing any anomolies with your speedo or lighting?

·
Braaaaappp
237 Posts
Im not sure which year you have but i have an 2007 and the light just recently came on. There is a servo actuator which moves a valve in the header. I simply just adjusted those cables from the actuator to the tail of the bike and the light switched off. Just my two cents..

·
farmer
1,432 Posts
Do the plug thing and throw the bike into dealer mode........
Figure out your own problem save your money and fix the issue......

If you want to know more search gixxer.com for troubleshooting everything you need is at this place...

·
john would do it
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's a 2004 gsxr 1000 and yes there is an aftermaket pipe on it.

As for all you wise asses....... It's not a ongoing problem it's intermitant. When the light and fault code comes up and you shut off the bike and start it right back up again it doesnt log the code anymore. Meaning that the fault is loged in the KAM part of the on board computer. (Keep Alive Memory.) If it was a serious problem then it would be on all the time and stored in the RAM (Random Access Memory) part of the computer and would not reset when it was restarted. Some of us are inteligant enough to not pay some kid who doesn't give a rats ass what happens to me or my bike when I'm flying down the road because they all get an hourly rate any ways. I think I'll choose to do my own work. I'm not asking on here because I think there are a bunch of mechanics to help me just some fellow riders to help me shed some light on the problem. I ceratianly didn't expect a bunch of condesending jerk off with nothing better to do to critisize me on what I do with my bike. Thanx

·
farmer
1,432 Posts

As for all you wise asses....... It's not a ongoing problem it's intermitant. When the light and fault code comes up and you shut off the bike and start it right back up again it doesnt log the code anymore. Meaning that the fault is loged in the KAM part of the on board computer. (Keep Alive Memory.) If it was a serious problem then it would be on all the time and stored in the RAM (Random Access Memory) part of the computer and would not reset when it was restarted. Some of us are inteligant enough to not pay some kid who doesn't give a rats ass what happens to me or my bike when I'm flying down the road because they all get an hourly rate any ways. I think I'll choose to do my own work. I'm not asking on here because I think there are a bunch of mechanics to help me just some fellow riders to help me shed some light on the problem. I ceratianly didn't expect a bunch of condesending jerk off with nothing better to do to critisize me on what I do with my bike. Thanx
hey jack ass read my fucking thread trying to help you out!!!!!!!!!

Dont make me post links directing you to the exact locations you need to go.
Seriously jump the white box under your seat throw a code look at what it means and figure out what is going on with your bike it could be serious it could not be but when and if my bike throws a FI code i will be sure to figure out what it is immediately so i don't cause any damage to the bike:hangman

gixxer.coms your friend hint hint

·
john would do it
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wasnt talkin to you man..... just the people with more sacarsm than advise

·
Tachyon Rider
309 Posts
Do this!

Hello budburner,

The "FI" fuel injection warning light usually comes on with many gixxers when the "SET Valve" is not working properly!
Your bike will run just fine, but it's just very annoying to see it while you're riding!
The funny thing is..., the control servo inside your right side tail section has plastic gears. So after a season or two the gears will wear out and it will start misbehaving!
So you have to remove the "SET Valve", then you will have no problem after that!
Here's the link:
http://www.tfriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71

The link above has step by step detailed instructions with photos about how to remove the "SET Valve" on your gixxer!
It took me about 30 minutes to do it....

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers...

·
awful human
3,139 Posts

I have the same bike, same year as you do and it's very unlikely that the pipe has anything to do with your FI light being on. How many KMS?

Does the bike run normally or does it act up somehow when the "FI" is lit up.

:coffee

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
Hello budburner,

The "FI" fuel injection warning light usually comes on with many gixxers when the "SET Valve" is not working properly!
Your bike will run just fine, but it's just very annoying to see it while you're riding!
The funny thing is..., the control servo inside your right side tail section has plastic gears. So after a season or two the gears will wear out and it will start misbehaving!
So you have to remove the "SET Valve", then you will have no problem after that!
Here's the link:
http://www.tfriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=71

The link above has step by step detailed instructions with photos about how to remove the "SET Valve" on your gixxer!
It took me about 30 minutes to do it....

Good luck and have fun!

Cheers...
I applaud your willingness to help, but SET valve removal is a little different on a newer 600 than on the 1000, especially the older ones like the OP's. Most notably on newer bikes you must leave the servo plugged into the harness or the ECU will default to the limp home mode. On the OP's bike you can unplug the servo, shitcan it and unplug one wire from the harness and the ECU is none the wiser.

If the "FI" light is on, there are many more things that could be wrong than the the SET valve packing it in. The ECU collects data from every sensor and the fault code could be something like the MAP sensor not working, or the ambient air temp sensor is not working........ and the list goes on.

·
Tachyon Rider
309 Posts
I applaud your willingness to help, but SET valve removal is a little different on a newer 600 than on the 1000, especially the older ones like the OP's. Most notably on newer bikes you must leave the servo plugged into the harness or the ECU will default to the limp home mode. On the OP's bike you can unplug the servo, shitcan it and unplug one wire from the harness and the ECU is none the wiser.

If the "FI" light is on, there are many more things that could be wrong than the the SET valve packing it in. The ECU collects data from every sensor and the fault code could be something like the MAP sensor not working, or the ambient air temp sensor is not working........ and the list goes on.

Hello bottomfeeder,

Thank you for the correction!
I didn't realize the OP has 03 GSXR1000. Somehow I thought the OP has a newer GSXR600... :laughing

Hey budburner,
Take a look at this link:
http://www.bugmanweb.com/gsxr/gsxrindex.html

Just go to, "Exhaust, SET valve" on the left side menu for pictures & a guide through if you want to remove it.
Hope your "FI" light goes away!

Cheers...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts