BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i've got a 98 ZX7R and i can't seem to wheelie on it. I've done countless wheelies on my first bike, 99 ZX6R and i've always done it like this.. roll on throttle hard to 7000rpm, roll off so the front end dips, clutch in, rev high, and then dump the clutch. i get it up really high with this method and it works great. but it doesn't work with the 7R. i've heard dumping the clutch isn't so good. why is that? if anyone has anything on this please help a poor guy out. i can't really shift my weight to the back of the bike cuz i've got short arms and if you know the 7R it has far-ass handle bars. i never needed to shift weight with the 6R. any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you... somebody else with my same problem... I could wheelie the hell out of my 1998 EX250... but I am having a VERY hard time getting the front up on my 2002 ZX7-R, please help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think it's cause the bike weighs a little more, but take the bike to stunt school and get jb to wheelie it, then ask him how he did it! u might want to get a front sprocket, makes it way easier to do!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front sproken no, rear sproket yes (go 2 teeth bigger on the rear and don't change the front, this gives you more torque and doesn't decrease your horsepower, I know this) but there has to be an easier way... the 2002 ZX7-R only weighs 441lbs so it's not that heavy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well that shows u how much u know about torque and horsepower, 2 up on the rear will make it way more difficult to wheelie, but ur top speed just increased! by the way i have a 929 with a front sprocket and i have 128 hp at the rear and 66 pounds of torque and it wheelies in third, so try the front sprocket buddy!

·
Tool Guy
532 Posts
ok here's my 2 cents. by best friend has a 2003 zx7R he also had a 2002 zx7r. he has a front sproket I believe 1 down in front or whatever but it is the same as going up 3 in the rear and he can wheelis the snot out of the bike. He had the same sprocket on his 2002 and switched it over to his 2003 so the sprocket works I doesn't change Sh!t as far as horsepower is concerned it just changes the gearing. So taller gears = wheelie machine and lower top speed (not by that much really) It like putting a 434's in the rear end of a domestic muscle car- it makes it accel faster but loses top end speed.

BTW if you can't bounce the front end up in first gear at all then there is something wrong with either you or the bike.

Go back to bicycle tech. When can you wheelie a mountain bike??
When the front sproket is small and rear sprocket is big right!!

So making the front sprocket smaller makes the bike wheelie easier. Also making the rear sproket bigger makes the bike wheelie easier.

Horsepower is horsepower. Gearing is gearing. Gearing will only feel like you are changing the horsepower!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
dazed said:
well that shows u how much u know about torque and horsepower, 2 up on the rear will make it way more difficult to wheelie, but ur top speed just increased! by the way i have a 929 with a front sprocket and i have 128 hp at the rear and 66 pounds of torque and it wheelies in third, so try the front sprocket buddy!
Well at least Big_Bird got it right!

Shows how much the rest of you know:rolleyes :rolleyes

Changing sprockets doesn't change shit in terms of overall Torque or HP what is does do is raise or lower the gearing so that the torque available at the rear wheel in a certain gear changes;)

Adding teeth to the rear and/or removing teeth from the front will LOWER your gearing making it easier to wheelie in a given gear.

From what I've heard dropping 1 tooth on the front is ~the same as adding 3 teeth to the rear and the best thing to do is add two to the rear (this is of course a personal choice and depends on how, where and what you ride).

·
Team No Team
1,509 Posts
dazed said:
Um, no. Ask any of the local shops. 1 down (less) in the front is the same 3 up (more) teeth out back. Either one will makes wheelies easier and make engine peppier. HP is not affected. Engine just revs up quicker. Down in front or up in back will both decrease top speed. I know cause I just asked the shops what I should be doing...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
J.B. said:
silly thread.gearing has nothing to do with horsepower./wishes sticky wheelie thread to magiclly appear...must create 1 day.
yes, yes, yes. twist the gawdamn throttle. on the eighth day god created a how to wheelie sticky thread!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Polished said:
Well at least Big_Bird got it right!

Shows how much the rest of you know:rolleyes :rolleyes

Changing sprockets doesn't change shit in terms of overall Torque or HP what is does do is raise or lower the gearing so that the torque available at the rear wheel in a certain gear changes;)

Adding teeth to the rear and/or removing teeth from the front will LOWER your gearing making it easier to wheelie in a given gear.

From what I've heard dropping 1 tooth on the front is ~the same as adding 3 teeth to the rear and the best thing to do is add two to the rear (this is of course a personal choice and depends on how, where and what you ride).
changing sprockets does change something. it doesn't give your motor more torque. it gives the driveline more torque multiplication. up on the rear, down on the front for wheelies. opposite for top speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MiniMike said:
changing sprockets does change something. it doesn't give your motor more torque. it gives the driveline more torque multiplication. up on the rear, down on the front for wheelies. opposite for top speed.
Which is exactly what has been said like 5 times now :rolleyes

As for top speed, you'd be hard pressed to increase your top speed simply by changing your gear ratio....it's all about HP and usually bikes come stock with ~the right gearing to hit their absolute highest possible top speed for the amount of HP they have....if you don't have any new HP, your not going to go any faster at top speed by simply changing your gearing...unless you are maybe going downhill or something to help you out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks guys for the input, i'm not gonna change the sprocket for a while cuz i heard Counter-strike here say he's done it stock. when you change the sprocket (rear or front), doesn't that make the speedometer read wrong.. it's not a big deal but is it true ?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts