BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Try doing a quick burnout before attempting to wheelie it makes it much easier . Bring it to Stunt school we had stock 89 Gixxer 750's wheeling no problem , if I can't get your bike to wheelie I'll wave the $40 fee. For some reason Kawasaki thinks the 7R is a race bike so the gearing is way too tall. Who cares about top speed , wear a cape if you want to look like the fastest guy on the street. Gear it so you can have some fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey man, I ride a 2003 zx7r, and had a 02 last year. I changed the front sproket 1/2 through the season. Take the bike 2 about 7 grand or so ( 7 or 7 1/2 ) fast, let off so the rpm drop slightly, then get on it hard. No clutch needed, and that front end will come up, sproket or not. I found when I dropped a tooth up front it just changed the speed and controll of the front end. It comes up faster but all the same that bike will wheelie.

Now for cool rolling burnouts, get the bike rolling 10km, grab the clutch rpm to 7 grand and drop the clutch. No brake needed, the bike will burn for 8-10 feet with no problems. Got to love the heavy front end.

Hope this helps..........

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
5thgear said:
Try doing a quick burnout before attempting to wheelie it makes it much easier . Bring it to Stunt school we had stock 89 Gixxer 750's wheeling no problem , if I can't get your bike to wheelie I'll wave the $40 fee. For some reason Kawasaki thinks the 7R is a race bike so the gearing is way too tall. Who cares about top speed , wear a cape if you want to look like the fastest guy on the street. Gear it so you can have some fun.
And Billicus layeth the smacketh DOWN! :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
thanks orange 7, i'll give it a try as soon as i go for the next ride.
if i can't get it to wheelie after that, then i ain't worthy to ride a kawasaki. or i'll go see 5th gear about that 40 dollar bet. ;)
thanks again :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well i have a 98 ZX7R and have no problems wheeling it. I have a full muzzy system jet kit and 1 tooth down in the front and it comes up just on hard acceleration but to get it up quick i go to 5000 rpm let off and roll on to about 7 and it comes up nice and high so i can switch to second and carry it out. As for ponys my 7R dynoed at 125 to the rear wheel so going a tooth down does nothing to horse power you just lose speed. Have never had a problem bringing my front end up and i weight 235 pounds. So sit back on the seat and twist your wrist and watch the sky oh ya and cover the back brake. Some of this stuff may have already been said because i didnt read all the posts so sorry if any of this stuff is a repost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
do you use the clutch for that quick high wheelie ? by the way, i gave it another attempt and done a small half foot wheelie for bout half a second. :) yea i know it's not much but it's a start.
i throttle hard to 7000rpm, throttle off completely + clutch in, rev super high (90% full throttle) then dump the clutch. my bike is stock and i can't shift my weight to back cuz of shortness.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
no shit at 7000 rpm and clutch plus 90%throtle u should be able to lift it in third! j.b. once said sit ur azz back and scrape something!

·
Tool Guy
532 Posts
ok I am going to repeat myself. you do not need to clutch and rev the shit to get the wheel up in first. Are you trying to get it up in first??? Or are you going for a third gear wheelie cuz if you are you gotta crawl before you can walk junior. Also where are you trying to do this cuz if it is at the top of cypress then the thin air doesn't help either as my bike didn't want to wheelie as happily up their the other night.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
bring it up in first on power bring the revs up to 5 let off the throttle and then rolll on to around 7500 and the bike will come up
dont need the clutch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
i give up trying for now.. i've done everything you guys have said. no it won't power wheelie for me at 5-7k rpm. i think it has everything to do with my weight too far up front. i have to sit all the way up seat to reach the handle bars. there's no way i can shift back and be ready for a wheelie. it's a loss cause. that's why it only lifts half foot at 90% throttle at 7000rpm in first gear.. sounds unbelievable huh? i've tried many times. only thing i haven't done is yank the handle bars. you guys with the 7r's do that? anyways thanks for your help and individual methods of wheeling. (shoulda got a gsxr 750) :( oh well

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had 3 zx7's. I found it too difficult pulling wheelies even in first gear until i went one tooth down on the front. After that she pulled up no problem. Change your sprocket, you'll pull out faster in the corners too..and its Cheap $30

·
Tool Guy
532 Posts
you could go down two teeth in the front (assuming that they make the sprocket) but all you may be able to do is wheelie the thing but maybe that;s what you want. Like apollo said go to bunably kawi. the sproket is cheap and the install equally as cheap and quick and you will have the wheelies you desire.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
the down 1 on front and up a few on back is correct. the reason the ZX7 doesn't wheelie as well or easilly is due to the steering head geometry. it was designed with more bias on the front wheel to aid in steering. you will note that the ZX7 doesn't come with nor need a steering damper. this is due to the rake being more than a Gixxer or Yamaha. doesn't cause tank slappers or even a woble when accelerating hard and going over bumpy roads. the side effect is that it doesn't wheelie as readilly as some would like. the benefit is a planted front end in corners and the ability to role on a bit more throttle sooner for better corner exits. all this was done in hopes of World Titles and when first applied back in 93 or 94 it worked. Kawasaki won titles with the new ZX7R. hope this helped.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
MotorPsycho said:
i give up trying for now.. i've done everything you guys have said. no it won't power wheelie for me at 5-7k rpm. i think it has everything to do with my weight too far up front. i have to sit all the way up seat to reach the handle bars. there's no way i can shift back and be ready for a wheelie. it's a loss cause. that's why it only lifts half foot at 90% throttle at 7000rpm in first gear.. sounds unbelievable huh? i've tried many times. only thing i haven't done is yank the handle bars. you guys with the 7r's do that? anyways thanks for your help and individual methods of wheeling. (shoulda got a gsxr 750) :( oh well
Dude i have the same bike as you i went down one tooth in the front and i weight like 235 pounds and it wheelies no problem, go down only one in the front if you wanna keep some speed, down one tooth is like adding 10% tourque (i think?) correct me if i am wrong, and it will bring your top end down by 5%. So i would not suggest going down 2 unless you wanna 12oclock you bike ,just my opinion could be wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Don't drop 2 teeth in the front if you want any chain life at all.
1 max I figure

G

·
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
thanks guys. i can wheelie the bike 1 outta 4 times now with no sprocket. it is a very hard bike to wheelie on. i did order a sprocket coming this week. now i'm just waiting to represent the kawi krew. :thumbup

21 - 40 of 43 Posts