BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm, I'm a newbie - so this is likelya dumb question.

How easy should it be to do wheelies on a '99 F4?

I got the wheel up in first, but thats the best I could do. I read an article which claims the bike could wheelie in third gear!

seems unlikely to me...

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
1st gear is easy. Get the revs up a bit and a little off/on throttle action and up she comes. 2nd gear will require a good bounce and pull. 3rd gear while not impossible will be very very very very tuff. Best thing to do for a 600 for effortless wheelies is change your gearing. people claim that sitting as far away from the tank helps, as well as a low tank of gas.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
First off this is a riding question so I'm movin' it on over to General.

Second try to be sure that you're not leaning forward too much. that will put weight on the front end and hold it down. The front end should come up in second at about 9G's. If my old school F2 can do it.....

If you just can't seem to get it, er, um, well.... "up" (there, I said it. Happy? :D ) then get the rpm's up around 8G and snap off then on to bounce it off the fork springs. Just be ready, I understand that this is a sure thing and it comes up quick. Keep that foot over the rear brake.

And for standups the people I've seen do them like to get to around 7G and then jump down onto the bars and then up and back while twisting on quick. For this one you only need 2/3 to 3/4 throttle and once again it can come up fast.

·
ROAR!!!!!!
1,175 Posts
Hmmm make sure when you land, you keep the bike straight.......... A friend did a wheelie once, but when he was just about to land, the head of the bike was facing about 45 degree to the right. As soon as his front wheel hit the ground.... ka boom... crashed. Guess he got nervous or something.:alien

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Dirtybill said:
imho, you and all of us would be far better off practising panic stops.
I actually read an article that talked about 'stunting' that made a good point IMO:

Stoppies are the only useful stunt. They provide the rider with exterme confidence and knowledge of their brakes once mastered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts