BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to learn how to do a wheelie and I was wondering if theres anyone out there that could give me a good tip on learning how to wheelie?

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
get a litre bike :)

but back to wheelies, powering is simple in first gear, get the revs halfway up to around oh say 5000-6000-7000-8000 or even 9000 rpm, shut the throttle off completely, then front end of the bike will compress down, then once it compress down all the way, wack the throttle wide open and it will come up. Usually the front starts to come up slowly, then at a certain point, it will start picking up faster, so becareful and be prepared for it. The trick is to keep on the throttle hard once you wack it on, then if you want, once the bike starts rising up, slowly roll off the throttle for a smooth landing. Unlike me, I like to keep it pinned until it comes up to the balance point, then I freak out and shut it off completely and come crashing down hard :)

oh and grab onto the tank really good with your knees if you plan on crashing down hard, cause you'll smack your you know what against the tank, just like I did early on in my wheelie attempts :( nowadays, I pretty much start to stand up a bit when I land the wheelie so I dont hurt myself :)

D

·
0 Posts
Someone gave me a hint the other day when trying to switch gears in a wheelie, can't remember who it was but thanks.:thumbup I know can go through the gears while in a wheelie. Don't they call that a cat walk or is that something different? Keep in mind a few things when doing wheelies, if you come down hard too many times you could crack things on your bike. I have heard that the front headlight case on mine is suseptable to this. Also wheelies are hard on the chain, it will stretch them out faster then normal.

Dafnip

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Dafnip said:
Keep in mind a few things when doing wheelies, if you come down hard too many times you could crack things on your bike. I have heard that the front headlight case on mine is suseptable to this. Also wheelies are hard on the chain, it will stretch them out faster then normal.

Dafnip
yup, fork seals are a common problem on bikes that get wheelied alot. I gotta learn to be smooth and bring the wheel down slow :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You are gonna come down hard a few times as you learn but that is part of the learning process. Once you get use to having it at a curtain hight wheelies become second nature and you can bring it up whenever with out scaring the $hit outta yourself. If you have a stock exhaust than 7000-7500 RPM is the point where you wanna roll off than snap it wide open. Start small letting off as soon as the wheel begins to rise. and get the feel for it before you start bringing it up a couple feet. It always feels like you are higher than you think you are, just make sure to keep your bars straight when you land because you dont want a tank slapper. Getting it up there is not the hard part, carying it at that hight through the gears is the hard part. Then comes the clutchless shifting. Then comes second gear mile long wheelies down the highway at the balance point. I can carry my wheelies to the redline in 1st gear now, and my friend said I am about 4 to 6 inches from the balance point. Im gettin there. :rider

Just wish I had a vid cam to get my current level of wheelies on tape.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'd also recommend checking out the 'article' section as there's a great article by the wheelie master in there.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'd also recommend checking out the 'article' section as there's a great article by the wheelie master in there.
I keep on forgetting about that article section, some pretty helpful info in there :thumbup

·
Slideways
2,937 Posts
Ryan R said:
You are gonna come down hard a few times as you learn but that is part of the learning process. Once you get use to having it at a curtain hight wheelies become second nature and you can bring it up whenever with out scaring the $hit outta yourself. If you have a stock exhaust than 7000-7500 RPM is the point where you wanna roll off than snap it wide open. Start small letting off as soon as the wheel begins to rise. and get the feel for it before you start bringing it up a couple feet. It always feels like you are higher than you think you are, just make sure to keep your bars straight when you land because you dont want a tank slapper. Getting it up there is not the hard part, carying it at that hight through the gears is the hard part. Then comes the clutchless shifting. Then comes second gear mile long wheelies down the highway at the balance point. I can carry my wheelies to the redline in 1st gear now, and my friend said I am about 4 to 6 inches from the balance point. Im gettin there. :rider

Just wish I had a vid cam to get my current level of wheelies on tape.
Make sure that we don't do these masterfull stunts on city streets cause some members get upset at the fact that we may make our sport so restricted that no one will ever be able to ride again.... don't pay no never mind to me I am just venting some SUPERMOTO frustration

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Make sure that we don't do these masterfull stunts on city streets cause some members get upset at the fact that we may make our sport so restricted that no one will ever be able to ride again.... don't pay no never mind to me I am just venting some SUPERMOTO frustration
Ummmm, what ? :confused

·
California dreamin'
2,440 Posts
WILD FX said:

Ryan R: To answer your "Ummmm, what ?", I believe WILD FX is referring to the fact that there was a previous thread where some other people on this site were taking him to task over performing stunts on public streets (I think it was on Robson Street). I think their concern was that this reflected poorly on other motorcyclists and that non-motorcyclists may want to want the police to take action against all motorcyclists as a result.

If I have misinterpreted what WILD FX meant or mis-stated the concerns other motorcyclists had with stunting I apologise. I am just trying to provide Ryan R with some context for (or at least my understanding of) WILD FX's post.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Nice wheelie Ryan. I gather you managed to straighten that front wheel before it came down or we would have read about your leather cleaning bill........... :D

·
Slideways
2,937 Posts
KatRider said:

Ryan R: To answer your "Ummmm, what ?", I believe WILD FX is referring to the fact that there was a previous thread where some other people on this site were taking him to task over performing stunts on public streets (I think it was on Robson Street). I think their concern was that this reflected poorly on other motorcyclists and that non-motorcyclists may want to want the police to take action against all motorcyclists as a result.

If I have misinterpreted what WILD FX meant or mis-stated the concerns other motorcyclists had with stunting I apologise. I am just trying to provide Ryan R with some context for (or at least my understanding of) WILD FX's post.
Perfect!!!!!!:thumbup
P.S it was on Thurlow and I was feeling boxed in to much going on no stunts in mind I just wanted to get the Fuck out there. My riding style is so wild that it freeks people out:eek Im so sorry if I offend any one at all I mean no harm please look past my inability to ride in a normal fashion .(what is normal to you may not be to others)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Wild Fx, a suggestion:

Don't drag previously dealth with coversations into others... your just going to wind up pissing everyone off...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Nice wheelie Ryan. I gather you managed to straighten that front wheel before it came down or we would have read about your leather cleaning bill
Well it might be the angle that the shot was taken at, cause the wheel was not turned when I came down. I have landed a wheelie before with the wheel ever so slightly turned and on this bike it makes no difference. It lands as smooth as ever. Oh and I was not wearing my leathers in that pic. Infact that was stupid on my part, The only real protective gear I had were my boots gloves and helmet. As soon as I get my tank protector made, I will have leathers on almost every ride, unless I am going to work or somthing, cause I live 5 minutes from work. :rider

PS. I cant wear the leathers without the protector for the tank cause they rub and are starting to take off the finish.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks you guys for all the great advice! I love this site!

·
ROAR!!!!!!
1,175 Posts
Blah, I need to work on my landing skill too:rolleyes .

F

·
0 Posts
Wheelie? Easy.. open it up in 1st or 2nd gear (on a R1 :D).

On a 600 it's easy too. Get to the powerband (probably around 7k) then just whack it open. If it didn't come up, you didnt give enough throttle. Try it going up a hill , it's easier and it'll help you get a feel for it. Once you've mastered 1st gear wheelies (ie you can carry them to redline and feel comfy) come back and we'll show you how to shift into 2nd , hehehe..

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Personally I think coming out of a corner lifting the front about a foot or two while excelerating and completing the turn on the rear wheel is still the most fun. But then again, I'm 80 years older than most of you :D

F

·
0 Posts
One more thing. If you get busted pulling a wheelie, you can get a "dangerous driving" ticket, which is a criminal offense. It'll go on your criminal record. I've been lucky so far, the cops have just given me tickets for speeding. One cop was even nice enough to give me pointers on wheelies (he had a 750 gsxr). He ended up giving me an "unsafe start" ticket which is $54. CHEAP! lol

·
Speed Freak
95 Posts
The person who was teaching me said to think of it as you are trying to do a burnout. He also had me attempt wheelies going up a hill to get the front end light. I found it hard to get past the idea of having to rev the engine to 9 grand to get into the powerband though. I am still learning but once you get over that inital fear the confidence will come with practice. I dont believe that there is anything wrong with doing wheelie's as long as you are smart about where you do it. The only other downside to it is that it does wear out your chain and could lead your fork seals to leak.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts