BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I got a bike in the middle of summer last year. Asking when do people normally re-insure their bikes. I okay to ride in some cold weather but only when its dry. I was thinking mid-late April? or too cold? than 6 months would make it till Oct. When do people normally re-insure?

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,297 Posts
The season starts when you buy the bike, and it ends when you sell.

Look up precipitation & temperature records for wherever you live and make your own call on what's comfortable for you.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm in the Vernon area and will insure early as possible(roads clear of snow/ice) to November. But that will be for my dual sport, the fz1 will get insured as soons sweeping has started in earnest through to November. For me there's nothing worse than being uninsured when riding is possible.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I generally go mid-March to mid-Nov. days are long by mid-March, but weather is spotty till mid-April. days are very short by Nov, and it can get rainy later in Oct. April 1st to end-Oct is probably the 'best' 7 month session - you have to do an certain number of full months with ICBC...
( as for cold, electric vest! it can be pretty chilly early in the morning for a LOT of the riding season.)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
There have been more times I've regretted not being insured, when there have been a few nice days, then the other way around. This year it will likely be mid-March, or even March 1st if the weather is looking promising. I also think its more viable to have early riding in the spring, then to have late riding in the fall. Spring means the cobwebs get dealt with sooner, where Fall is just cold rides and leaves on the road.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I keep one bike insured year round if the urge hits me. I guess old age is catching up to me for I'm not keen on a cold ride on the sameold sameold roads.
I need to find a summer property right smack dab in the middle of twisty heaven.
I try to hold off insuring the big power till April. I usually go 7 months. Maybe do 6 months this year. Probably going to be another covid season with day rides only .... Boring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I generally go mid-March to mid-Nov. days are long by mid-March, but weather is spotty till mid-April. days are very short by Nov, and it can get rainy later in Oct. April 1st to end-Oct is probably the 'best' 7 month session - you have to do an certain number of full months with ICBC...
( as for cold, electric vest! it can be pretty chilly early in the morning for a LOT of the riding season.)
Hey thanks! That was the first helpful post. I appreciate your reply!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I guess I'm a bad person because I'm now hoping you get fucking drenched on your bike Chet. Stick that in your helpful pipe and smoke it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Around Edmonton, AB there are some really nice days mid march. When I was younger and insurance was quite expensive I wouldn't insure it until April. But for the last few 5 ish years I've been going March 1 to Oct 31 and had some good March rides.

·
backslider
11,258 Posts
Here in Vancouverain city, March can be a hit-or-miss month (as can April), with many more wet days than dry. On the other hand, there are often some really nice warmish/sunny windows of riding opportunity during that somewhat fickle month.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Vancouver Climate info

March - April not very different: roughly 15 days per month rainy. May maybe 12 days. early June is like May; then it gets dry thru Sept...

but it feels special to get out on a good day in March; whereas there`s almost an expectation of decent sunny weather in April, and certainly by May...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts