BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, I'm a noob to riding, and I'm trying to do everything the don't-get-killed way. I've already got my first bike, an '83 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim, which is nicely forgiving, and has plenty of poop. As much as I love it, though, it doesn't satisfy my itch for a 600cc or bigger supersport.

I know they're not for "beginners"... the question is, when IS it okay to move up?

*puts away the can opener*

·
Fuelled by rice
4,467 Posts
whenever you feel ready. The newer 600's are pretty fast now. I rode my 600 for 12 yrs before moving up to a bigger bike.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Your 650cc Maxim has no poop compared to a new 600. A new 600 is probably 4x faster, literally.

With that said, Derbi says whenever you're ready.. and that's the right answer.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Khalnath,

1) List the ways your present bike is lacking
2) Have you tried a new 600?
3) How much time have you spent on your present bike?
4) What do you expect to be able to do on a new 600, that you cannot do on your present bike?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
I think that getting an older 600 is a nice way to ease yourself into what it would be like to have one of the newer ones.

I like the idea of getting really comfortable on something very similar, but just less extreme.

The older 600's are great for that. You'll get similar seating position, braking, handling, and acceleration characteristics, but when you move up to the "latest and greatest" it'll just be the same stuff "kicked up a notch".

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Yawn.

A better question would be: "when is it OK to add nitrous to a superbike?".

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I won't beat around the bush, the primary reason is aesthetics. Performance wise, I have no complaints about my bike. It's a little ratty, though.

I know 600s have lots more power than my Maxim. My 650 has enough... but more is better. ;)

I WAS planning to buy a used bike. Burnaby Kawi had a nice '87 CBR 600 I was looking at today.

I'm not planning to do this SOON... I've only got about 200km under my belt at the moment. Still on a Learner's!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Move up when you do have complaints about your bike.

Really, there's no governing body telling you when it's "ok" to move up. 200k isn't much, get your license, ride the Maxim, maybe at then end of this season look for something 600cc early to mid 90's going cheap? You can ease into an older 600, not much power in the low revs so just exercise some throttle restraint.

Really only you can answer when it's time, be comfortable on the bike you have and don't move straight to a new liter bike. It seems like, with the choice of first bike you've made, and your idea to move up to something also used, you've got the right idea going.

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
I just started with a supersport.. :S

you just have to take it easy... that is it, take it really slow... at first if you do that and take a safty course you should be just fine.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Lots of folks here start out on supersports. It's not my idea of a good way to do it but they don't seem to kill themselves... at least not often... so often such an opinion is tended to be looked down upon.

The only thing you lack is experience. The Maxim is a fine bike to get out on and do some serious miles. Why not get some soft luggage and do some motorcycle touring this summer? Hit the backroads from the Destinations Highway book and you'll have a ball, see lots of seriously great looking country and pile up the km's and gain lots of riding experience. Then next spring jump onto a newer sport or sport touring bike.

Which ever way you go for I'd suggest avoiding the 87 Honda just because it uses the older style bias ply tires. Go for a later F2 or F3 version. With a few mods these two options can be a real hoot even to the point of being a great play bike on the track out at Boundry Bay or at Troy's Track Dayz. And the F2 or F3 are decent enough beginner bikes in the local scale of things provided you understand that you need to pick your times and places to play. The rest of the time as long as you keep the revs down you'll never see the Jeckyl side of its personality.

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
Your XJ650 is a fine bike. It's the bike I started on. I would suggest hanging onto it for a season. Why? Cuz you will probably drop your bike numerous times at very slow speeds or a standing drop.

Use the search engine on this site for "starter bikes", etc and you will see countless recommendations to stay away from bikes with fairings for the first season or so cuz you will drop your bike. The XJ650 is a great bike to drop :) Be happy you have it. Its a fun and pleasant bike.

·
Registered
232 Posts
heisenberg9 said:
Your XJ650 is a fine bike. It's the bike I started on. I would suggest hanging onto it for a season. Why? Cuz you will probably drop your bike numerous times at very slow speeds or a standing drop.

Use the search engine on this site for "starter bikes", etc and you will see countless recommendations to stay away from bikes with fairings for the first season or so cuz you will drop your bike. The XJ650 is a great bike to drop :) Be happy you have it. Its a fun and pleasant bike.
I dont know about probably dropping the bike numerous times. Neither me or my friends (we all started on '99+ sportbikes) have ever dropped our bikes.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
bimmerdude said:
I dont know about probably dropping the bike numerous times. Neither me or my friends (we all started on '99+ sportbikes) have ever dropped our bikes.
still, many, if not most, do at least once (typically extremely slow speed or from a stopped position... driveway, parking lot, etc.)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I did that once already. From stopped. I didn't totally lose it, the bike rested on the case guards. No damage. :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
200 km isn't lots and you'll need to build up yoru experience. maybe at the end of the season when everyone is selling like how cakes go and hit up some of the great deals. Again, the F2 and F3 are the way to go. When you hope from your current bike to a newer sportbike, u'll be like WOAH, i have to lean forward all the time now, sitting is diff... it'll take some adjusments and getting used to.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I knew it was time to move up when I was getting pissed off riding. I was getting this way because my abilities had grown beyond the limitations of my heavier, slower, less nimble machine.
When you do upgrade, just take it slow, and try and remember that it's completely different, and sometimes it will be like learning to ride all over again.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I know of one person that found it was time to upgrade when they caught themselves making "giddyap" motions with the upper body and bobbing their head forward to try to encourage the bike to go faster... That would be a good indicator... :D

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bimmerdude said:
Yea, no doubt. I've dropped it once, in the grass:laughing, it was wet and i was slippin around havn fun. But Never droped it yet on the street, hopefully not anytime soon. But uhh... I dunno, go to the gym, dont be a lanky guy so you actually have some control over the bike. Lowspeed maneuvers you might indeed drop it, simply cuz your going under 10 moven here and there..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts