BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a good place to get rotors machined? Warped one of my discs and i'm just checking out what my options are. I'm not too crazy about shelling out another 300 bucks for a rotor!

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
if you are talking cross drilled MOTORCYCLE rotors.. then NO WHERE...

if you are talking car rotors... anywhere will do a good job

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to let you in on some information about bike rotors. The thinner they get the faster they will warp. This holds true for cars and trucks as well. Sometimes with a bent or warped bike rotor you can persuade it with a hammer and a block of wood to straighten it out. But you could also break the rotor doing this

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SILVER_6R said:
if you are talking cross drilled MOTORCYCLE rotors.. then NO WHERE...

if you are talking car rotors... anywhere will do a good job

Really? why can't they machine drilled rotors? i remember reading in an old post somewhere here that it can be done with todays new machining tools.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
waypastfast said:
Just to let you in on some information about bike rotors. The thinner they get the faster they will warp. This holds true for cars and trucks as well. Sometimes with a bent or warped bike rotor you can persuade it with a hammer and a block of wood to straighten it out. But you could also break the rotor doing this

I was seriously considering hammering the rotor flat using an anvil, but not beacuse i wanted to fix it, more to let my frustration out :laughing . I have a feeling that i can't really do much with them anymore but use them as a paperweight.

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
well unless you can figure out how a brake lathe glides over the little holes without breaking... or has there been some new developments that i dont know about?

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
seriously.. this is your life were talking about.. brakes are good at saving your ass sometimes and for general everyday stopping.... not somewhere i would like to save some $$$

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SILVER_6R said:
seriously.. this is your life were talking about.. brakes are good at saving your ass sometimes and for general everyday stopping.... not somewhere i would like to save some $$$

Yeah, that is the thing that is constantly on my mind. I'm thinking of just sucking it up and getting another one.

Its just so costly because bike rotors warp TOO easily...

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
How did you warp your rotors, "so easily?"
I have the same time, and three years (and 35,000 kms) later, my rotors are still fine.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SpideRider said:
How did you warp your rotors, "so easily?"
I have the same time, and three years (and 35,000 kms) later, my rotors are still fine.

I was being retarded, left the disc lock on. Gotta get the stretchy cord or something to put around my throttle to remind me from now on.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
:laughing
Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing with my first bike.
You're SOL on the rotor, though. You'll just have to pay the coin, and count yourself lucky you didn't dump the bike and crack something more expensive.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SpideRider said:
:laughing
Don't feel bad. I did the exact same thing with my first bike.
You're SOL on the rotor, though. You'll just have to pay the coin, and count yourself lucky you didn't dump the bike and crack something more expensive.

That is true. I'm so glad i didn't drop my bike. The only really pissing thing is that the rotor i just screwed was a new rotor too!

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Ooh, that would blow.
Just look at this as one of those "character building moments." :D
I've just never understood why building character always results in more dents in my car, less money in the bank, or a high level of personal embarassment.
I mean, couldn't I build a lot of character with a few mill in the bank?

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Way back when I bent a disc from a lock. I had it straightened by a mechanic at Daytona in Surrey. He did a very good job. $100 fixed my problem and a rotor at the time was $750+tax. Call around the shops and see if they have a guy that can do the repair. They did not turn/grind/lathe the disc. The tech just had an excellent touch with a hammer and a dial indicator.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
^ +1 for a soft faced hammer and precision tools.

I had a no brain thief try to ride my bike away with a disk lock in place AND the reminder cable on the throttle....long story short, I ended up finishing a season with the rotor warped. I even rode to Calgary and back with no issues. The only time I noticed it was under very light braking, so depending on how bad yours is, you might get away with it for a while.

·
Rock bottom here I come
1,021 Posts
I did the wheel lock rotor enhancement last spring too. I didn't manage to keep my bike up though. I was lucky and found a set of new front rotors for my VFR for 1/2 the price of a single new one. A cop in Ontario had swapped out the rotors for some Wave rotors when his bike was new.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
That was the other option I was going to suggest: scour eBay. There's always guys parting out bikes, and you might be able to snag a good deal.

·
Twist Master
1,142 Posts
!! Heald Grinder !!

bk_cbr900RR said:
Really? why can't they machine drilled rotors? i remember reading in an old post somewhere here that it can be done with todays new machining tools.
You have to have it Ground on a !! HEALD GRINDER !! I put up a Picture of one on here , It has a MAGNETIC CHUCK , And you put a CUP GRINDING Wheel in the Grinding QUILL . I Have one at Work it's Simillar to the One in the PIcture But it is a More MODERN version ( HAS a CNC CONTROLL On It )
The Mag CHUCK will hold it Flat and you can grind off the high spot or Grind the Whole Disc FLAT.
If you Get it to Me I can do it For You .
The problem with Grinding of Material is That it Will Weaken it And it Would Be More Prone to Warpage After Wards.I Have done A couple for the HARLEY owners at Work , Two worked out the Other Did Not.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
It's not the disc that warps it's the aluminum carrier ( cars don't have those things)

The guy from Daytona is Ken Klausen he works at Motorcycle world in Surrey

1 - 20 of 24 Posts