BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
The shop where BK got my bike painted did a great job but it won't be cheap. I'd say $1200 to $1500 for something nice like the candy lime of my bike.

If I didn't scare you away then give Brian or Trev a call for the name and number. I think it was B&B custom painting or somesuch.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
crap $1500 is a lotta money.
what if you do most of the job yourself?
sand it, prime it, disassemble the fairings and bring em to the shop?
I was thinking few hundred dollars :( like $500...

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Well then there is a little hole in the wall just a couple of door down from BK. It's the little white fronted shop next to the used tool place. They had a restored Beetle out there with the paper masking still on the windows and I must say it looked GOOD. Very little orange peeling or dust specs from my look see. If you took the stuff off and removed any stickers and do the scuff sanding I don't see why you couldn't get away with about 300 or so. AFAIK you don't need to primer it. Just scuff sand the exising paint with 1200 or 1500 to dull the finish, level any existing orange peel and give the next paint something to bite into.

Or I have a buddy that has done a couple of restorations. Nice work and if you bring the parts, paint and thinners he might be able to do the spraying for between 150 to 200. If your interested I'll check with him.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
BMatthews said:
Well then there is a little hole in the wall just a couple of door down from BK. It's the little white fronted shop next to the used tool place. They had a restored Beetle out there with the paper masking still on the windows and I must say it looked GOOD. Very little orange peeling or dust specs from my look see. If you took the stuff off and removed any stickers and do the scuff sanding I don't see why you couldn't get away with about 300 or so.

Or I have a buddy that has done a couple of restorations. Nice work and if you bring the parts, paint and thinners he might be able to do the spraying for between 150 to 200. If your interested I'll check with him.
Thanks BMatthews. At this point in time it's a research project only ;)
I"m planning on getting it down sometime around next fall/winter. I've gotta replace a couple of things on my bike first before i worry about how pimpy it looks..

thanks.
-d

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Good grief, that was fast. You got nothing to do but sit and wait for my reply???????

Oh wait. I'm here too aren't I. Well I guess that makes two of us with nothing better to do :D

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
BMatthews said:
Good grief, that was fast. You got nothing to do but sit and wait for my reply???????

Oh wait. I'm here too aren't I. Well I guess that makes two of us with nothing better to do :D
bah im sitting at work with internet connection, with very little to do right now. so why not :)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
tuner200hp Give me a shout when your ready? It will run you about a grand ,with decals.You can see my work at www.overthetop.ca

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
BMatthews said:
I'd like to hear what he has to say.. I figure paint shouldn't cost more than $150, and so if he can do a good spray, and a clear-coat on the tank, then I'm good as (insert color here) for $300 and some elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Sorry Adam. He's not set up for clear coating. Modern clear coat is a two part mix that's really toxic. He does this in a little basement workshop with a strong window fan so the whole room acts like a big fumehood. And that along with a mask is good enough for "regular" paints but I'd hate to see him exposed to that clear coat.

So far he's done most of the jobs with lacquer or single layer enamels. The lacquer is forgiving because he sprays on 5 or 6 coats of clear (lacquer, not the 2 part) and then sands and buffs after it hardens. The old Yami YDS3 he restored looks WAY better than stock.

The base clear jobs are why the paint shops charge so much for what appears to be a basic paint job these days from what I hear.

But if you look closely I don't think you'll see too many base clear jobs on our bikes, well, aside from mine that is :D Or are you trying to go better than stock?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
BMatthews said:
The base clear jobs are why the paint shops charge so much for what appears to be a basic paint job these days from what I hear.

But if you look closely I don't think you'll see too many base clear jobs on our bikes, well, aside from mine that is :D Or are you trying to go better than stock?
Not sure what you mean by 'base clear'.

I'm not trying to look 'better than stock'... but that post over in the pictures form 'One sick R6' had me thinkin' about painting again... and I found a gastank, which means that I could strip my bike /w tank and have a fresh set of virgin fairings if I ever needed to restore it / or whatever after putting an OPP or Sharkskinz kit on.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
"base clear" is the buzz word used to describe the current standard of using a flat finish color followed by a clear overcoat. So you have the "base" color and the "clear" overcoat. It gives that oh so deep look to the finish. My green is base clear.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Bruce, is your bike clear-coated at all? Is anybody's whos painted it? I'm wondering just how important that might be. From what I understand it's just so that gas doesn't eat away at your paint on the tank?!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Ok, nevermind Bruce.. your bike is competlety clearcoated. :D

Apparently it's neccessary when changing the whole paint joby.
Wow paints expensive..

And it's D&G, not B&B. And MAN are they expensive. :(

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
They do nice work though.

Have you asked the bike shops who else does paint for them?

I could be wrong but I think I remember Trev or Brian mentioning Gord-Ron's autobody up along Edmonds.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Ya.. well... I'll post a pic later of what paint I want, It's going to cost a fortune. :(

5 color House of Color Mystic paint.

Yikes.

Big money.

I'll post a pic later of a VW Beetle I saw today with it... nice paint.. VERY nice paint.

And it looks like Adam's getting a new bike sometime soon..

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Ah, I see that what you REALLY want is the Ferrari on the Dodge Neon budget :D

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
anyone thought of MAACO....ya sure they do cars...but Im sure they can do bikes too...my mom works at Maaco in Langely...I think they have done a bike or two there...no complaints as far as I heard...call em up if you wanna ask....604-514-9860

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
try this guy, he painted mine. don't know what he charges as he painted it for the guy that I bought it off of, but the finish is nice.

Road Rash Paint Works
-Eddie Lau
ph 604.788.4471

1 - 20 of 21 Posts