BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

where do you guys when you go to downtown?

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Kit 
G
#1 ·
My new job is starting in a week and it's in downtown
(near the library)

how's the parking in downtown (for bikes)?
is it legal to sneak in between those meter parking slots?

because im thinking of buying a little ninja to get me to work

thanx!

PS. i've read so many post about ppl crashing lately, hope you guys are ok

i have a question though, i konw what low side is, but what is high side?

#2 ·
parking....um, I fotunately get free underground parking at the hotel I work at.....

regarding a high side: it's when either the front or rear wheel "jumps" basically imagine one of those coin operated bulls you can ride, the begining, the inital jerk.....it more or less throws you off the bike, and ussually you crash into a wall/guardrail and the bike then slams into you.....not always though.....

#3 ·
Human said:
parking....um, I fotunately get free underground parking at the hotel I work at.....

regarding a high side: it's when either the front or rear wheel "jumps" basically imagine one of those coin operated bulls you can ride, the begining, the inital jerk.....it more or less throws you off the bike, and ussually you crash into a wall/guardrail and the bike then slams into you.....not always though.....
A highside is a little different from what you explained

a highside begins when you are in the corner and the rear end starts to break lose but the front end is still holding a line, this usually happens when you are on the power coming out of the corner

as the back end breaks lose the bike starts to fishtail like a car would,

the highside begins when the rear suddenly grabs, as the bike is fishtailing you have sideways momentum due to the rear end slide, therefore the like human said the bike will flip into the opposite direction of which you were leaning and will throw you off the bike, quite often very violently

whether you will hit any guardrails completely depends on which track you are on and which corner you are in

if the track is properly designed like most motogp tracks you should not hit anything (hopefully)

G
#5 ·
back to the parking question. some areas are tolerant of you parking in the white paint at the end of a row of meters, but every so often you'll get a meter maid in a bad mood and you'll get a ticket. i got a parking ticket for parking on the edge of a loading zone behind the last metered spot once. otoh, i have parked for free at impark because i took up no space at all.

G
#6 ·
1. i guess i'll just have to try it to find out if the meter maid in that area is nice or not huh?

well there is an imperial parking right across, maybe i can try there..

2. sounds light high-side'in is the effect of coming out of a corner too fast, where as low-side'in is when you lose traction and slides out

just gotta be careful then...i can't wait

damn CBR600F2, when i have money for your bike, it's already gone!!
shitty

#7 ·
When I was taking a course at Harbor Center SFU (near seabus) the meter guy openly stated he'd never give a bike a ticket for parking in between spots or at the white painted triangle at the end of most blocks (which he suggested!)... He must have liked the Vmax huh? His position was the rational that I don't need to explain other than it would be illogical to do otherwise. No promises on the other enforcers though, as he stated there are some that are of the "letter of the law" mentality.

G
#8 ·
i park downtown all the time between spaces and in those triangles and have never had a ticket...the only ticket i ever got on my bike was when parked in a legit spot and had my metre run out...i learned my lesson and stuck to parking in the "illegal" places:rolleyes

#9 ·
i usually park in between cars in front of the meter...

but i got one ticket last year, so i called the city of vancouver and they said that 99% of their staff won't ticket a bike...so i guess you'd be ok...

what was funny was that they said i just got unlucky and got that last asshole to ticket me!!!

#10 ·
I always park in-between cars or at the end of the block white-triangle space. Asked quite a few city guys that gave out tickets, they said the best way is to park dead-center in-between two cars or at the end of the block, so you're not occupying any car space, and they won't ticket you - That's 99% of them.

I would not suggest parking at any Impark lot at all. I also asked quite a few impark people, some said ok - provide you're not occupying a car spot (ie: bicycle space or on the side or something where normal car can not park), some said they will ticket you no matter what, I even ask if I park at the bicycle space and he said it's for bicycle only and not for M/C so will issue ticket). Now, that's on the same Impark lot and I've seen 3 different impark person daily... so, the risk are much higher.

#12 ·
I also work downtown although I am fortunate to have underground as well. However, I have parked on the street downtown a whole wack of times.

A couple of years ago though I made a point to ask a meter maid what they thought of bikes parking here and there. They said the best place is at the straight edge of the triangle (on a corner).

Your bike might get knocked over if you park inbetween cars right at the meter, not the best place.

The MM said definitely DO NOT park in a loading zone or commercial zone, or anywhere either of the two, thats the only place they always ticket bikes, cars, trucks or whatever without the proper permit.

#13 ·
Hey guys,

I work downtown too at an engineering company on Pender St. and I park at the BCIT underground parking, which is basically on Seymour St. I know what you're thinking - underground is slippery, not safe etc...but it's not really underground, you go under and the parking is immediately on your right. So you basically just go down the ramp.

Anyway, it's convenient for me and best of all, FREE! Well, they've NEVER ticketed me anyway. Shoot, hope no one here works for imperial parking :D . Don't know if it's too far for you guys but just like 2 blocks walk from my work.

PS: If you ever park there, i'm the one with the silver/black F4i ;)

#14 ·
So thats your bike there! i rarely ride to work but i do park my car there as the spots are nice and big if you park in the right spots and the lot is nice, clean and bright, ie minimal breakins

i work on the corner of hastings and seymour and that is my favourite lot ther, the bike spot is good

f4i_2 said:
Hey guys,

I work downtown too at an engineering company on Pender St. and I park at the BCIT underground parking, which is basically on Seymour St. I know what you're thinking - underground is slippery, not safe etc...but it's not really underground, you go under and the parking is immediately on your right. So you basically just go down the ramp.

Anyway, it's convenient for me and best of all, FREE! Well, they've NEVER ticketed me anyway. Shoot, hope no one here works for imperial parking :D . Don't know if it's too far for you guys but just like 2 blocks walk from my work.

PS: If you ever park there, i'm the one with the silver/black F4i ;)

#19 ·
I work downtown as well and I asked 2 different meter guys about the same question and they said I shouldn't take the risk of getting it towed but I usually park on the corner of Melville and Thurlow and nothing has happened so far. Last Wed. when I was parked there a car just a few spots ahead had gotten a ticket and while my friend was waiting for me that day he saw a ticket guy just walk past my bike so I'm assuming it's fine

#20 ·
As far as getting a ticket, you are always at risk, despite whether it is a big one or little one... as far as getting towed, it is not likely going to happen.

I spoke just recently to Aaron who works for Drake Towing (I believe?) and he is the only guy who will tow bikes for his entire company and he won't tow someone if they are parked in the spaces that we are discussing above. He will only tow if requested by the owner.

There is just too much liability involved for a tow truck driver to tow a bike, he can do too much damage in too little time, that is why they just won't tow a bike under such mild circumstances.

#21 ·
R1 GIRL said:
There is just too much liability involved for a tow truck driver to tow a bike, he can do too much damage in too little time, that is why they just won't tow a bike under such mild circumstances.

I thought tow truck drivers had no liability as what damage is done to the vechicle being towed ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.