BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First post on BC Sportbikes :D

I was looking for a little in sight from u guys on where you think the best/most reasonably priced place to get my bikes valve adjustment done.
If any of you homies know how to do it lemme know, and just might include a cold case of beer for helping out too :eek

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
As above^^^ you should offer more than a case o beer..thats a 4-6 hour job on a sport bike

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
What make and model? I think it's a job best done with other tasks as well. Ex. Plugs, valves maybe some fluids. However, I ride a Honda and Carter has been servicing my Bird since RMS went down. Chia's suggestions also work. I can walk home from Carter, I was invited to have my bike serviced by ex staff of RMS. they have done an excellent job servicing it and treated me very well. I know 3 other Blackbird owners who take their bikes to Carter. I agree, take it to someone respected and convenient. Or, buy the work manual and learn to do your own work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahah I will obviously throw in some $$. beers just an added bonus :D

I will definitely look into those shops, thanks dudez!
I ride a 2003 ZX6R. I found guides online pretty detailed on how to do the adjustment but dont wanna blow myself up lmao

·
Self-proclaimed VIP
875 Posts
I needed one done two years ago on my ninja 650. holeshot quoted me $650-800. ted at ems did it for $250'ish i believe. i'd definitely recommend ems. the only downside is that he kept my bike there for 4 days cuz he was busy, but it was during the week anyways and i didn't really care. holeshot would've done it in 5 hours

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn! That's a crazy price difference. I dont mind waiting a lil longer so I think I will hit up EMS. thanks digirat really helped me out.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Ya not so sure about some of the dealerships.If I was gonna use a shop I would go to an independent shop.
A guy I work with just had his 24k service done at Carter and with a set of tires it cost $2600 so I would probably avoid that place.
I would go to Imperial over EMS, cheaper isn't always better.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Ya not so sure about some of the dealerships.If I was gonna use a shop I would go to an independent shop.
A guy I work with just had his 24k service done at Carter and with a set of tires it cost $2600 so I would probably avoid that place.
I would question that cost and like to see the work order. I`ve had a major service done during the off season and it did not cost that much. I`m reluctant to ``trash`` or suggest a member avoid a shop unless it was my personal experience. Parts cost money depending. Yes, cheaper isn`t always better but obviously my experience is much different than your mates. I was given a winter work rate, bought my parts on line when the $ was over par, and collected these parts over a 4 month period. All I can share is my experience which has always been good at Carter. The lads I know who have had their Birds serviced by Carter are very pleased. I have no experience with the other dealers mentioned so I have no comment. Alphie is an excellent "old school" tech and knows bikes, Japanese and Ducs very well. Same as Marvin at Hole Shot. Also Tai at Carter. I have had no experience with Ted or the other shops so I have no comment. Not calling out you or your mate. Maybe because of my experience at RMS I was treated a bit better but as I stated, I have nothing bad to say about Carter. Also, if it matters, I did a lot of research on the Bird owners Forum prior to having my large service. There are those who would never let someone else touch their ride but I need a good shop, tech, that I can trust and have faith in.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
LOL, crap, what bike? even taking 600 off for the tires that's still a very expensive service.

But I guess if he also paid them to replace the coolant and flush the brake and clutch lines and whatever else the "book" says to do..

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
valve adjustments are too menial of a job for local mechanics , hit them up for blinker fluid , powerband and wheel weight adjustments and watch their eyes light up

and if you are going to see ted @ ems , ask for the bcsb discount

·
Registered
42 Posts
Marbod at MSpeed, cnr Commercial & Hastings. 604-294-3354. He's done all my work for the past 6 years; completely satisfied every time.

·
Living da life.
70 Posts
I will say that the Carter Honda dealership treated me quite well when I took my "new to me" bike there for a pre-season servicing. I had visited several other shops before deciding on Carter. Burnaby Kawasaki seemed very competent and knowledgeable but I went with Carter due to their location. I made an appointment, ride the bike in and then spent the rest of the day walking through Granville Island, eating like a starving man and later on walking through several luxury car dealerships.

I did visit the Mspeed shop but was left with an uncomfortable feeling of distrust toward the place. It was quite an odd feeling as there was nothing I could put my finger on. It was most likely me having on off day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
go to modern on commercial the guy there is always up for giving you a good deal especially if you bundle other things in with it........bargain!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I will say that the Carter Honda dealership treated me quite well when I took my "new to me" bike there for a pre-season servicing. I had visited several other shops before deciding on Carter. Burnaby Kawasaki seemed very competent and knowledgeable but I went with Carter due to their location. I made an appointment, ride the bike in and then spent the rest of the day walking through Granville Island, eating like a starving man and later on walking through several luxury car dealerships.

I did visit the Mspeed shop but was left with an uncomfortable feeling of distrust toward the place. It was quite an odd feeling as there was nothing I could put my finger on. It was most likely me having on off day.
I suppose this applies to most dealers. Once you establish a relationship with the Service Dept. I believe you are well treated as is your bike. Carter is a very good shop and I think this is a result of the Service Manager and their head tech and also the others. I`m sure if I lived near Burnaby Kawi I would have my ride serviced there. Japanese bikes I suggest are very similar. I want my bike to be very well serviced and I practice a lot of preventative maintenance and I follow my owners manual. I do have a Honda Service Manual but I like to read it for the larger services I get done. I can not bare to sell this bike and will likely treat it like a hobby when the day comes. Over the riding season I plan what maintenance I will perform during the winter storage months. In May I will ride again. If I get to ride 3 times per week, even just to Pemberton I will be very pleased. I know we have several folks who still ride although 70+ years old. I do not know if we have any 80 year olds. Carter does get a few BlackBirds in for service and they use my Bird as a bench mark. I do not think I would put it on here for sale but I might place a few PMs to a select few experienced riders who understand what a BlackBird is and what a great sports tourer it is. IMO and that of many others world wide.
I ripped your thread, sorry, but yes, Carter is an excellent shop, good staff, with a great head tech. PS the young lady is under the guidance of Tai, and she did a good job on my Starter Valve Synchronization. Syncing the throttle bodies as most folks understand it. First time in 210,000 kms. She also did a great job on installing the voltage regulator. It took an hour to sync throttle bodies. I never feel ripped off at Carter, I feel both myself and my bike are respected and as one can read for these reasons I recommend Carter. I am looking for to riding her now. I do admire those with the skill sets, tools, right side brain ability who enjoy working on their rides. I do not have these skill sets nor do I have the bad attitude to call Dealers, Stealers. I have no problem circulating my dollars locally.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have a good relationship with a couple guys at carter, but don't know anyone in the service dpmt. When I asked for a valve check quote there 1 month ago I was told 950$. took it to mspeed and paid 270 + tax.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Have a good relationship with a couple guys at carter, but don't know anyone in the service dpmt. When I asked for a valve check quote there 1 month ago I was told 950$. took it to mspeed and paid 270 + tax.
JRod,, I find that a hard sell. I have never paid such an outrageous price for any singular service. I usually time my valves with the plugs. Every 26,000 kms. I would argue that. That must have been awhile ago. How much more can a 1000RR be than a Bird, 1139 cc in line 4. I would have asked to be shown the factory workbook that should give the time frame. That is unfortunate because I like that dealer very much. And I'm not familiar with many of these other dealers and I would not feel comfortable leaving my bike with them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts