BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Which gas station do you go to mostly?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Ok I really didnt want to explain about octane ratings ( I was hoping someone like TeckyIam would do that) The bottom line is that the higher the octane number the Less flamable the gas. Lower octane gas burns faster and cleaner. The only reason to use a higher octane gas is if a higher compression engine needs it to prevent pre ignition. 94 octane will not make you go faster.

·
Noob-but-not-born-ystrday
880 Posts
Ethanol contains 34% less energy than gas, so ethanol blended fuels require more fuel per distance. An 10% ethanol fuel blend will decrease your millage by approx 3% according to the interwebs. I'd swear it's actually even lower, as on my truck I go from about 460km to about 420, a difference of around 9%.

They do pollute less apparently, even when accounting for the extra fuel required, pollution is reduced by about 19%.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I dunno but personal experience says higher octane equals a better running motor.
Not always the case.

Octane rating is detonation resistance.

If your bike needs 90 octane and you put 87, you risk to run into premature detonation, Ever heard a car that "pings" under load?, yep that's too low of octane.
Now if you need 90 octane and put 94, you risk delayed detonation and end up with residue that will eventually harm your engine.

Only use the octane rating that your engine needs. Your engine will detonate at the exact time it was meant to do.

I use Esso, only because of the Double Aeroplan miles.
I'm going to Valencia MotoGP on Aeroplan miles :rockon

·
Aka - Dustin Makokov
66 Posts
Ok I really didnt want to explain about octane ratings ( I was hoping someone like TeckyIam would do that) The bottom line is that the higher the octane number the Less flamable the gas. Lower octane gas burns faster and cleaner. The only reason to use a higher octane gas is if a higher compression engine needs it to prevent pre ignition. 94 octane will not make you go faster.
I would disagree with the last part of your statement. If a vehicle needs 94 to run better it will essentially go faster. Pre detonation is when the fuel ignites before top dead center slowing the piston down. If the higher octane lets the fuel ignite at the proper time you will get a more efficient burn resulting in more power and fewer emissions.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
I would disagree with the last part of your statement. If a vehicle needs 94 to run better it will essentially go faster. Pre detonation is when the fuel ignites before top dead center slowing the piston down. If the higher octane lets the fuel ignite at the proper time you will get a more efficient burn resulting in more power and fewer emissions.
What vehicle do you know of that states 94 as the required octane fuel?

·
Aka - Dustin Makokov
66 Posts
No stock vehicle come to mind but the Acura MDX requires 91 min.

The MDX runs into starting and misfire issues if 91 octane is not used. And I don't recall anyone stating this has to do with stock or performance vehicles. Performance machines have different requirements than machines designed for fuel economy.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
I use whatever is cheapest. That usually means the Chevron near my house.

I select the grade that is recommended for whatever vehicle I'm filling, based on the user manual or the sticker on the gas door.

My American truck takes 87. My Japanese bike takes 92. My German car takes 92.

I've tried running a lower grade in my German car - it runs the EXACT same, but I get fewer kilometers to the tank. Even though the 87 gas is cheaper, I've done the math, and it's actually cheaper in the long run to use the 92 gas that the car was designed for so it gets optimum fuel economy.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Oh god, is it November already?

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I use yankee fuel. It just cost me $US44 to fill my truck. Two miles to the north it costs me $CAN80 for the same amount. I'll use 87 in my bike when its cool outside, 91 or 92 when it's hot and the swedemobile takes 89. I agree with blackscorpion's experience on the mileage factor, so does Car & Driver.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
my cousin is a petroleum engineer and a few years back on a road trip he explained to a room full of guys why you don't want to run over what is recommend for your bike. why :You get less HP.

My bike manual asks for a 95RON which is equivalent to a 91-92 octane. I was paying for 94 chevron for years and wasting my $$ in my cage too.... and getting less HP.

it was something like this: the lower octane gas actually burns at a higher rate and the higher octane gas burns slower so in the wrong motor with the difference in compression. blah blah. save your money.

and my wife's an account for a gas company the gas is the same and it all comes from the same place... they just clean it and add shite to it.
they do store it in their own tanks though so I would put my money on a company that has dough to keep their shite clean.

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
I use Chev 94. Doesn't cost that much more than 92 for bikes...

Is it true that the minimum Octane at Husky is 91? But is it the same price as say 87 at Chev? don't have any Husky's from where I live.

·
Registered speed offender
126 Posts
I use 91 in my bike and car, but as I have a WRX with a flashable CPU, I can get an extra 5hp and 5lb/ft torque if I use 94 and re-flash. So when I reflash for the extra bump in performance, which I can feel, I use only Chevron.

I stopped using Mohawk a long time ago. Even though the octane rating seems higher and better, I think that the actual "energy" in the fuel is lower, so not the deal it appears to be.

In my experience I always seem to get my worst mileage running anything mixed with ethanol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
August Performance Bikes Magazine (for sale at Chapters right now) has a fuel test article and they found that there are gains to be had by using higher octane fuel.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts