BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got my L last week and I'm searching for a good motorcycle school. Currently, I have two on my radar: 1st Gear and PRS.

Can anyone share your experience at 1st Gear or PRS?

Also, I recall seeing from other post that the 1st Gear has a referral program? (okay.. maybe not an official program, but someone said an alumni hooked him up and he got a great deal) Does PRS have something similar? I wonder how much discount you can get if referred by an alumni.

Thanks in advance !

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,234 Posts
I'd recommend 1st gear, but choose the school closest to you. I know many instructors at both, and all are excellent! If you choose 1st Gear, tell Lee (one of the owners), that Dean recommended you from BCSB. Not sure that will get a discount, as the schools are in VERY high demand now. Covid is giving people an opportunity to pursue new hobbies and it seems that riding is one of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd recommend 1st gear, but choose the school closest to you. I know many instructors at both, and all are excellent! If you choose 1st Gear, tell Lee (one of the owners), that Dean recommended you from BCSB. Not sure that will get a discount, as the schools are in VERY high demand now. Covid is giving people an opportunity to pursue new hobbies and it seems that riding is one of them.
Thanks for the reply ! I will contact them and I'll mention your referral.

Some more questions.. (sorry, I'm a total noob when it comes to motorcycles lol) Where would you recommend to buy the gears like helmet, jacket, gloves, and etc.? Any recommendation of specific gears for beginners?

Also, is it okay to purchase a cheap used motorcycle as first? I'm looking at Craigslist, but I wonder if there are better places to look at.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,234 Posts
you have to get your learners license first. Schools require that. They provide gear to learn with, but you can always just go look for gear at motorcycle stores. Gearing up is expensive, and choosing the cheapest stuff, will usually result in the least satisfaction with the gear as well. I like Burnaby Kawasaki, but that's also because they treat me very well, due to having a good relationship with them. Build a relationship with a shop, and you'll be treated well too. Others like Modern for gear. The guys there are great too. Each shop has their own following.

Yes, used motorcycles are great to learn on provided that they are reliable. Lots of times, your instructors are the perfect people to ask about these things too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you have to get your learners license first. Schools require that. They provide gear to learn with, but you can always just go look for gear at motorcycle stores. Gearing up is expensive, and choosing the cheapest stuff, will usually result in the least satisfaction with the gear as well. I like Burnaby Kawasaki, but that's also because they treat me very well, due to having a good relationship with them. Build a relationship with a shop, and you'll be treated well too. Others like Modern for gear. The guys there are great too. Each shop has their own following.

Yes, used motorcycles are great to learn on provided that they are reliable. Lots of times, your instructors are the perfect people to ask about these things too.
Thank you very much for all the great advices. I'll definitely check out the stores you mentioned ! As for the used motorcycles, where do people usually go for shopping? I know Craigslist and FB marketplace but I wonder if there are more.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
As for the used motorcycles, where do people usually go for shopping? I know Craigslist and FB marketplace but I wonder if there are more.
the biggest dealers have the largest stock. so, Carter Motorsports, Holeshot, International Motorsports... but looking at what they've got listed online, most ( but not all) of the stock seems like sorta undesirable models, and pretty high prices. there are quite a few bikes that get listed on the 604 motorcycles Facebook group.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the biggest dealers have the largest stock. so, Carter Motorsports, Holeshot, International Motorsports... but looking at what they've got listed online, most ( but not all) of the stock seems like sorta undesirable models, and pretty high prices. there are quite a few bikes that get listed on the 604 motorcycles Facebook group.
Aha ! I didn't know about the 604 fb group. I'll definitely check it out. Thank you so much :)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
training- definitely the team at First Gear.

gear and accessories
Holeshot has the biggest selection locally
Daytona in Surrey has the best customer service.
Modern tends to give great package deals, but i've personally had terrible customer service there.
International has terrible customer service on softgoods. They use the "which helmet do you like the look of the most"
Highroads in Vancouver and Langley has pretty good selection and customer service.
Pacific at Richmond Ducati has also treated me well, although its been since pre-covid since i've seen their selection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
training- definitely the team at First Gear.

gear and accessories
Holeshot has the biggest selection locally
Daytona in Surrey has the best customer service.
Modern tends to give great package deals, but i've personally had terrible customer service there.
International has terrible customer service on softgoods. They use the "which helmet do you like the look of the most"
Highroads in Vancouver and Langley has pretty good selection and customer service.
Pacific at Richmond Ducati has also treated me well, although its been since pre-covid since i've seen their selection.
Thanks for your input on various stores. I've only been to Modern and Pacific so far, and my experience has been similar to yours lol I'll check out other stores as well. Much appreciated !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts