BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i order a solo seat and it cracks.. dam.
who know any shop or any person can fix that for me?
any info will help thx.....:(

·
ignorance + apathy
286 Posts
There was a thread about this topic ...

bugs mentioned a guy called Donald (604)803-1891 who can fix and paint fairing ... but you better confirm with bugs first.

If you want to do it yourself, check this link:
http://www.sportbikeguy.com/garage.html

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jamie A: WOWWW!! That looks good. Did you paint it yourself????

As for your quesiton about plastics repair.... most of the shops I have called (as I also have a small minor iece of plastic that needs a little tiny repaird) have recomended "D & B Customs".. I believe they are in Burnaby/Coquitlam.... about 10 minutes from Lougheed Mall.... behind the Costco. Call Burnaby Kawasaki or something and ask them for the number or look it up on mybc.com

Hope that helps.

:tredmill

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx everybody. really thank you very much.
i wish i can call up some body and get it fix..
such a pain.

thx again...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Fiberglass is easy to work on yourself. Molded plastic is another story.

So what's you're solo tail make with? Does the inside look smooth with some molded in details or does it look like a woven matt surface?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey. BMatthews.
the cracks are clean broke. i put back all the pieces and is in perfect no gap, and smooth.
any help???

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I was asking about the inner finish because I want to know what the tail section is made from. But from what you are describing it sounds like it's plastic rather than fiberglass. Only plastic would break that clean.

That's a toughy. There is some sort of glue for sticking bumpers together that's supposed to work well. There is also the fact that some fairings are made from ABS plastic and the glue for ABS pipe from Home Depot, or any plumbing store, is supposed to work quite well for that. But then some aren't and the plumbing glue doesn't work well for them.

Can you find out the material type from the people you ordered it from? And BTW, I'm assuming that it broke from something YOU did and it didn't just come that way...

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the seat is orginal factory solo seat.
it is same material as the fairing so it should be ABS plastic.
i think i will glue them back and use fiberglass to reinforce it.
thx BMatthews.
do u think it will work? any other advice???
it got demaged during shipping and the sender was so cheap that didn't buy any insurance... :mad

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
hey duc said:
the seat is orginal factory solo seat.
it is same material as the fairing so it should be ABS plastic.
i think i will glue them back and use fiberglass to reinforce it.
thx BMatthews.
do u think it will work? any other advice???
it got demaged during shipping and the sender was so cheap that didn't buy any insurance... :mad
Worth the attempt for sure. I assume this will be the last time you deal with jerks like that.

But I'm going to suggest that you take it to an expert. Industrial plastics out in Richmond (on Minoru) has a couple of guys working for them that are very good with plastics. They will be able to identify what type of plastic it is much better than our guesses.

Or do you know FOR SURE that it's ABS....

They'll also have the right glue for it. And while you're there I suggest you get a patch piece of the same plastic and about .070 to .090 thick and use that to back up the cracks. Just be sure to use a bunch of clamps and backup forms to keep the glue joint as tight as possible when you glue the patch on. And the patch would be added after all the bits were reglued and dried for a couple of days.

Just be sure to keep the glue to a minimum when you put the pieces back in. Those glues will really do a number on the paint.

I think you'll have better luck with this approach rather than using fiberglass that doesn't like to stick to a lot of plastics.

·
Formerly FURY
2,731 Posts
if it is ABS plastic, such as an SV650S. you can use ABS cement from any plumbing outfit. My suggestion is reinforce the inside of the fairing with strips of plumbing ABS (take a pipe and cut with hack saw). Make sure surfaces are clean and dry and apply cement generously. Hold fairing pieces together until dry with strips in place. The cement sets and dries quickly depending on amount so don't worry about holding for too long. Don't worry about making a mess because it sands off nicely. If you need to fill cracks, allow cement to cure for a few days before working on it further. Extra coats of ABS cement over the reinforcing strips is good too. I use automotive bondo to fill cracks and it works quite nice... so far. The finish is up to you.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
be careful about what type of glue you use. there are several types for plastic pipe. electricians use PVC glue for the grey plastic conduit. its certainly not what you would be after, as the finish is very rough.

i'd say look for something like the cement used to bond vinyl flooring together. i doubt that stuff would work itself, but there should be something similar out there.

all bikes did the plastic welding on my pocketbikes, although they didn't do a good job. there is a plasticweld guy posting on www.gixxer.com, and he does some great work. he is in the eastern united states though.

·
ROAR!!!!!!
1,175 Posts
Hmm wouldn't it be much easier if you just bring the pieces down to an autobody shop (a good one that is) and tell them to fix and paint the thing for you? My R1 dropped when I was trying to load it up onto a pick-up.:( Got a crack on the front fairing and a big hole on the rear piece. Got this autobody shop down in richmond to fix them for me. Checked yesterday, and the fairings look just like how they were b4. Just have to wait for them to paint the fairings now.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Donald's number is no longer in service and I can't find the number for D & B customs...will call Trevor tomorrow

but does anyone know someone who does good work on plastic repair ? I need to get my left side fairing fixed from that lowside at Keystone...the frame slider broke off so cracked the fairing in that area but that's about it...

BikeInBlack said:
There was a thread about this topic ...

bugs mentioned a guy called Donald (604)803-1891 who can fix and paint fairing ... but you better confirm with bugs first.

If you want to do it yourself, check this link:
http://www.sportbikeguy.com/garage.html

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just fixed the fearing myself. Went to Crapy Tire and got a plastic repair kit for $8. The bond is very strong, and it was super easy to do.
I didn't paint though yet, just fixed the crack so it'll not crack more.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just fixed the fearing myself. Went to Crapy Tire and got a plastic repair kit for $8. The bond is very strong, and it was super easy to do.
I didn't paint though yet, just fixed the crack so it'll not crack more.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts