BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Jason #8,946,528
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't want to start a poll, just want to reminisce.

My uncle Fred turned me on to motorcyles when I was younger. He passed away today, after a lengthy battle with cancer. Fred had ridden motorcycles since the late 60s, starting on a Triumph and owning several makes and models over the years. He incorporated riding into his life on a regular basis, even during these last couple of years while enduring cancer treatment that wasted his body. On his up days, he would head out with my aunt Charlotte for spins throughout the Avalon Peninsula, in Newfoundland. On his down days, he planned the rides he would take on his up days. Last year, we spent about 12 days riding through BC, Alberta & Washington State.

So there you have it, my uncle Fred introduced me to motorcycles, who can you thank?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
JESUS

I died in an accident saw my life flash before my eyes, got hit with paddles and came back. Saw everything, don't recommend anyone else try it.

So there you go Jesus likes motorcycles Fred will have a good time.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
hmmmmm while it's sad that Uncle Fred has passed away...it's funny that my first rides on motorcycles was with MY Uncle Fred when i was 3 or 4. he had a Matchless back then(60's) and then went onto a 72 Honda CB175. i think he still has the 175. him and my other uncle's Wayne, Bob, Bob Jr, Ralph, Kenny, Keith and my dad and older bro used to rip up the family estate. got me started in wanting a bike. even my grand pa rode some. it's in the family i guess.

·
Registered
454 Posts
my girl friend used to ride and i did'nt want to ride bitch (ok only a few times) but she could ride!!!!what was a guy supposed to do.know I'm hooked . Thanks Heidi.

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
Nobody, really...but my cousin Birk was the first of my buds to get a street bike a few years back with an older CBR600, and after a short but disasterous ride I thought it might be nice to get a bike of my own. A couple years later, the 600 was long gone but he had bought a 1000...so, since I figured at least I'd have somebody to ride with, I bought a bike too.

·
Foecus on this
87 Posts
Sorry to hear about your uncle krome :(

My first experience was on the back of my uncles 1984 Goldwing. I loved it right from the start. When I was around 11 I had my first dirt bike and rode in the dirt/mud for a few years after.

I was re-introduced when I moved out here from Toronto. A good friend of mine bought a 76 RD400 this summer, I rode it and was hooked again. 1 week after that I bought a 97 GS500....rode it for 7 months just to get the hang of it again and sold it to buy a 98 GSX R600. Have only rode the gixxer 4 times since owning it......counting the days until I can on it again!

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
Sorry about your uncle...
Our Dad had a old cl100 that he stopped riding on the street just before we were born. I seem to recall it still had the 1973 licence plate left on it. He used to take us for a ride around on it in the back yard every blue moon when we were really young, after that it ended up just sitting forever. We used to beat on it pretty bad playing around, always fiddling with it, trying to kick it over, I remember knocking it into over into the hot water tank once. Once I started driving I had the idea to resurrect it, but all I did was take it apart and never put it back together, that is after I got it running long enough to crash it into the house after going down the driveway.. after that the next influence would be my buddy Chris who started riding, and decided that I needed a bike so he found me my first pos cheap bike to get started on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Condolences on your uncle's passing.

Maybe uncles are naturals when it comes to motorcycles. Parents are sometimes too worried about safety when it comes to their own kids.

My uncle Roy didn't get me into bikes, but he was always interested in what I was doing with mine. He was a tough old bird, a soft-spoken, battle-scarred WW II vet. He also had a way with recalcitrant old bikes. When my old Commando 750 wouldn't start he tinkered with it for half an hour and it roared to life again. He passed away about 20 years ago.

My uncle Charlie passed away in Regina about a month ago. He was a motorcycling inspiration. He rode his mid-'80s Old Wing across Canada I don't know how many times, when in his late 60s and early 70s. Once he got sick he had to sell off his old cars and other junk, but held on to his bike till the last couple of weeks, just in case he'd be able to ride it again. Next to saying goodbye to family, it was the hardest thing he had to do.

Guy who got me back into bikes after many years without riding was a school-chum named Ed. A few years younger than me, he moved from road cycling into motorcycles and became a roadracing fan as well. We watched his Grand Prix tapes for hours in the late '80s. I had a ride on his brand-new GS 500 and was hooked. A few weeks later I had my license (rode without one for umpteen years) and an '89 ZX 10.

A couple of years later he'd sold his bike, gone back to school and lost all interest in 2 wheels. I soon lost touch with all my non-riding friends.
Haven't seen Ed in about 10 years.

G

·
my uncle worked at canadian curtis wright building snowmobile engines, and was promoted into sales, while racing sleds on the side. he moved to yamaha as the general sales manager. naturally, his kids had dirtbikes. in the late 70s our families lived about a mile apart. i ended up with one as well.

he was let go at yamaha and was scooped up for the same position at suzuki. that's where the real fun begins.

ross pederson's factory RM 250s were a common sight at my uncle's house. my cousin and i would take them out to the hydro fields all summer while we were off school. never ever got one above 3rd gear. we also got to play with the quadracer when it was first introduced.

you have my uncle doug to blame for me being here. and in his mid 60s, he is still ripping around on an f4i. his cruiser buddies call him odie, for OD, for organ donor.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
This guy

Well, my stepfather watching world superbikes, supporting this guy.

·
Takin it like a $10 Whore
366 Posts
I got interested in bikes from a young age. I had my first Dirt Bike at 10 and got a banchee at 13. (LOVE those 2 strokes!) Well i would have to blame my mom for my twisted interest in bikes, since she won it as a door prize and gave it to me and my 5 brothers. Got my first crotchy last year, got stolen. NOW i got me self a new babY!

·
Crotch Rocket Scientist
929 Posts
2nd person on the thread to say: my girlfriend

So naturally I gave her my 750 when I bought the FZ1....it was only fair.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
This guy:

and this guy:

and this guy:

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
My brother used to give me a lift once in awhile. Then he went out of town for work, and told me if I took a safety course, I could have his bike. The rest is history, except now he doesn't have a bike, so he borrows mine once in awhile.

·
PAyne
1,122 Posts
This got me hooked,

in 2001, a friend sent me a picture of the 2001 R1.. :rockon I then read the r1-fourm for 3 years learning everything I could about motorcycles

2004 I picked up my first bike! a 92 cbr.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
+2 for the 'My Dad' group. ;)

At 7, I was placed on the seat of a Honda QA50 (lowered onto the bike from mom's laundry stoop :)) and given basic instructions as I was being pushed forward. Told me to "hang on, Charlie". Nearly wet myself. :rolleyes Little did I know it was a test: a new Honda XL100 came shortly after. The rest is history. :D

Thanks Dad! [He's also a BCSB member so I know he'll see this. :)]
:rider

1 - 20 of 44 Posts