BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
if you can borrow a windsheild to copy, I would charge 1.5 hours to make the mold for you. You can do the rest in your oven at home with a vaccuum cleaner. Building one from scratch can be done, but it will be pricey. I would think there has to be a used one out there that will be the more affordable option.

·
a noob who can't ride
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you can borrow a windsheild to copy, I would charge 1.5 hours to make the mold for you. You can do the rest in your oven at home with a vaccuum cleaner. Building one from scratch can be done, but it will be pricey. I would think there has to be a used one out there that will be the more affordable option.
do you know which company makes custom windshield?

....i can't seem to find other ppl with the same bike..
probably have to build it from scratch

·
Registered
708 Posts
I just looked up this model year to see what the shape of the windsheild is. Its really simple. if you can make a template of the curvature, like I say i will make the mold for you. You can use a piece of card stock, hold it up to the fairing and then use a hot glue gun and what ever else you have to hold the shape of the profile. Bring this contraption to me and I will take it from there.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
A while back I got a price on making a touring screen for my Z. It wasn't cheap. For a one off it would have been just over $100 and that assumed that I made and brought in the mold for them. It was also a simple one axis curve. A full bubble style compound curve would have been around $200 plus I still needed to provide a finely crafted mold.

You'd be far better off to look around at other bikes and find a screen that is close and then cut out the section that best fits your bike and do any minor modifications around the edges to make it fit with a heat gun.

Or order one up through an offshore store.

·
Registered
708 Posts
ok. i'll try do a template.
how much is the mold tho?
lets say $100. But you have to put some effort into making a worthy template. ie. if you use corrugated cardboard, it makes my life harder as I have to get rid of the bumps which means more cost to you in the end. You can use Bondo or anything really to make the shape of the windshield. Its easier to sand a convex surface, so make your template fit up from behind into the fairing, exactly as if you were installing the real windshield.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts