BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how many people here ride during the winter?

Although the weather is getting better, many people think it's too cold to ride.

I know a lot of people never ride in the rain so just curious how many of you guys are out riding.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I ride the ST1300 all year round but the ZX12R is summer only :p

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
i used to. For the last few years my work has had me in Abbotsford, and once a week in Chilliwack [the pit, and the pit 2]. Weather conditions east of 200th in the winter are distinctly different, much higher chance of black ice, and, the gong show that is Hwy 1 from 200th St to Whatcom Rd., mean commuting for me is a no-go. Certainly I always have a collector plate bike insured through the winter for rare opportunities for salt free riding. Wet does not bother me. Salt and salt brine bother me intensely.

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
The only way I could ride in the winter is with a Timbersled.

Tempted but no fit for any of my bikes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
When I was younger and the bike was my only transport, sure. Now, not so much. Cant have the fun in the wet like I can in the dry.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,730 Posts
I used to ride year round but now work takes up too much time

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Does a track day in California count as "riding in winter" if so, I ride in winter.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
now you're splitting hairs .....lol
dude, i'm bald.. there aint no hairs left to split :laughing

Been riding offroad and trials all winter. Kind of expecting things to slow down in summer when the fire bans hit.
I've considered picking up an offroad bike for 'winter' as well but lately it seems the time i'd actually want to ride (early feb) is when the cold starts up.. i'm a wimp

·
Registered
236 Posts
Fall and spring are prime riding season, and winter as well except for the 1-2 weeks we have heavy snow. No dust, not too warm. You are never cold after the first 15 minutes riding single-track or trials around here. Off-road riding around here is like road-racing in Spain. We have some of the best terrain in the entire world within 1hr of Vancouver (for me, 15 minutes from my house in Coquitlam). Especially trials riding, I had no idea what it was all about but it is seriously addicting and accessible. If you are looking for an off-season bike to ride and are on a budget, get a trials bike, not an enduro.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I prefer my e-mountain-bike for the off season...way fun!
what kind of e-mountain bike do you have?
I noticed that Yamaha has some ebikes https://www.yamahabicycles.com/

Also Haibike seems to be popular.

It's too bad that in Canada, ebikes are limited to 32km/h and 500W... because in the states, it's 750W & 28mph (45km/h)
I know you can get US spec ebikes, but it's technically not legal.

·
Registered
8,766 Posts
folks on the radio were asking when locals feel its shorts weather.. biggest response was "well, its gotta be at least 10 deg.!" :laughing

it was 7 today, facking wind chill though.! no dice for march on this end; prepping bikes for mid April :coffee

1 - 20 of 46 Posts