BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 40 of 358 Posts

·
keepin' it steel
1,171 Posts
Yup, I want one before I die; the sooner the better. I was keen till I found out how much they cost, so a motard's not in the cards this year, but one day....oh yes... :evil

F

·
0 Posts
im sure the motard is faster in the corner but who gets there first is what matters.What about the straights ?

·
Rageaholic
8,367 Posts
Evil-E said:
Okay, but 100$ to play? sheesh... are you going to be on your 600? or riding an SM...
this is really a stupid argument. a motard isnt faster in the corners
its faster in some of the corners, mostly the slower radius tigher ones
lets see whos faster im turns 1,4,5,10 of laguna seca or turns 1,2,10 of seattle or turns 1,3,8,10 of spokane, turns 2,6,7,8,9 of willow road course. General rule of racing is that you win it in the fast corners, because a little bit faster at higher speed is a lot more distance gained than a little bit faster at lower speed. at the end of the run where you have to brake you are that much further ahead from the little extra drive out of the big corner, than the huge extra drive out of the small corner. as im sure you know.

but since mission is a small tight track and tradex more so, motards have somewhat of an advantage. But i still see the 600's on top podium in the top races there.

Regardless, i dont know of troys SM skills, but if you and him are on the tradex at the same time, him no the 600, im 100% confident he will be lapping you. I have seen troy throw the 600 around it at top speed, if you think you can compete with that, you're dreaming, No offence bro.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Jayson said:
this is really a stupid argument. a motard isnt faster in the corners its faster in some of the corners...
Jayson, that's just the way Evil-E talks. (it's one way, or the other)
Haven't you read any posts by him in the last two years?
:drinkbeer

·
Registered
634 Posts
borderline said:
im sure the motard is faster in the corner but who gets there first is what matters.What about the straights ?
uh oh here we go... sportbikes are faster in a straight line for sure, and they'll catch you on the straights (whether they'll get around you depends on just how sideways you are through the turn :evilgrin ) however the fun factor is just way up there with the supermotos. sliding sideways through a turn is a feeling like no other.

I took my brand new r6 to the track and had the most amazing ride ever. Ground my kneepucks down and when I got back I remember muttering something like "its like living those onboard speedvision cams" I was blown away. Then the city rides got really dull for me.

the supermoto still lets me race (for quite a bit cheaper) and I still have fun on the streets.

the price for a supermoto you do up by yourself is expensive I admit, but well worth it. And they crash so much better that for racing you can just pick them up, start em up and take off with a wheelie. :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
:imwithstu I'll agree with that.

I rode Jayson's '03 R1 back-to-back with Kevin's KTM 520. Ask me which one was more fun? They both cost about the same (give or take a grand or so)...but there's no question which one I would spend my money on, or which is more worth the $$$.

·
Rageaholic
8,367 Posts
Harps said:
:imwithstu I'll agree with that.

I rode Jayson's '03 R1 back-to-back with Kevin's KTM 520. Ask me which one was more fun? They both cost about the same (give or take a grand or so)...but there's no question which one I would spend my money on, or which is more worth the $$$.
r1's is fast sukka! if i ever got the chance to actually ride a SM i would probalby 100% agree with you there though.

Harps said:
Jayson, that's just the way Evil-E talks. (it's one way, or the other)
Haven't you read any posts by him in the last two years?
:drinkbeer
i know, and im not dissin on him, i know him im just sayin. dont really want a flame war with him, since i like him n all. but you can GFY :drinkbeer
harpreet hates you!

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Jayson said:
i know, and im not dissin on him, i know him im just sayin. dont really want a flame war with him, since i like him n all. but you can GFY :drinkbeer
harpreet hates you!
I don't know him at all...he kind of irritates me (just from reading his posts online), but I've learned to live with it. :)

BTW - Harpreet hates you the most!

·
518 Posts
Harps said:
I don't know him at all...he kind of irritates me (just from reading his posts online), but I've learned to live with it. :)

BTW - Harpreet hates you the most!
learned to live with it?.... yes this site is your life I forgot! HARPS > DILLIGAF?

Give me an R1 motor for my bike and we'll see how fast these bikes can be! And P.S. Jayson this is "BC"-sb, not laguna seca, and a PROPER sm track has a dirt section...! :p .. and how many sets of stairs have you ridden up on your sportbike! :evilgrin

I have a feeling this SM forum on this ultra elite site :rolleyes wont last long! :roflmao

·
Rageaholic
8,367 Posts
like i said 600's are podium, not 1k's
regardless of this being bc, what i said applies, the corner isnt difference because its down south. A PROPER SM track has dirt thats great, but you said

Evil-E said:
Sportbikes are too slow in the corners... Supermoto's blow them away... prooven everyday... if you want to find out the hard way lets go riding :p
well you are wrong there. Im sure you could change the stament to reflect SM tracks though. I gave you real world examples of where you are wrong, and why you are wrong. Put a big heavy motor in your light bike and you only go to even the playing field, Suddenly your bike becomes harder to get sideways into the corner reliably and safly. Sportbikes can be ridden in the exact way a SM can, backing it in and all, the physics are the same, the weights are the difference. Dont get me wrong i love SM's and would kill to have my own, but im not going to kid myself at their superiority over sportbikes. They have their pluses, so do sport bikes. put that r1 engine in your motard and then see how many sets of stairs you stil ride up, once you beef the suspension to compensate for the weight. Do i care about riding up stairs personally? No. but do i ride over shit on the sport bikes? yes. i was jumping everything i could see that i wasnt going to land on someone. The SM is a great idea, great bike, but it doesnt deserve to be put on some glorified pedastal as being the fastest thing ever, its not. Objectivly look at the situtuations. instead of doing it from a closed devensive viewpoint. Troy loves SM's and it seems hes willing to show you up on his 600 on a tight tight course, you going to step up and show us how wrong we are?

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Most of the motard guys like WILD FX, Arai, simon, etc are a crazy bunch but even the more mild mannered rider will have a lot more fun on a motard. I went from a CBR 929, which was a great bike and I never would have sold it had I not needed money for school.

So to replace it, I bought a DRZ and converted it (like Arai said, it is not cheap but well worth it) and it was a blast! The riding position is so comfortable and my commutes to UBC were much more enjoyable, plus you can take it pretty much anywhere on the streets, up curbs, etc which really saves time in bumper to bumper traffic. Throw in the easy wheelie factor and cheap crashing and it is a perfect all around fun bike.

My DRZ was stolen last year and I replaced it with a dirt bike (YZ 250F) but I know that when I do get another streetbike it will not be a sportbike. I actually just got a set of DRZ SM wheels from a buddy and am hoping I can adapt them to my YZ somehow, have a dirt bike and a track SM bike this summer. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Jayson said:
like i said 600's are podium, not 1k's
regardless of this being bc, what i said applies, the corner isnt difference because its down south. A PROPER SM track has dirt thats great, but you said

well you are wrong there. Im sure you could change the stament to reflect SM tracks though. I gave you real world examples of where you are wrong, and why you are wrong. Put a big heavy motor in your light bike and you only go to even the playing field, Suddenly your bike becomes harder to get sideways into the corner reliably and safly. Sportbikes can be ridden in the exact way a SM can, backing it in and all, the physics are the same, the weights are the difference. Dont get me wrong i love SM's and would kill to have my own, but im not going to kid myself at their superiority over sportbikes. They have their pluses, so do sport bikes. put that r1 engine in your motard and then see how many sets of stairs you stil ride up, once you beef the suspension to compensate for the weight. Do i care about riding up stairs personally? No. but do i ride over shit on the sport bikes? yes. i was jumping everything i could see that i wasnt going to land on someone. The SM is a great idea, great bike, but it doesnt deserve to be put on some glorified pedastal as being the fastest thing ever, its not. Objectivly look at the situtuations. instead of doing it from a closed devensive viewpoint. Troy loves SM's and it seems hes willing to show you up on his 600 on a tight tight course, you going to step up and show us how wrong we are?
It sounds like your gonna have to try one Jason, because you have no idea what your missing! :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Evil-E said:
Okay, but 100$ to play? sheesh... are you going to be on your 600? or riding an SM...
I will ride both hopefully. I don't really care which is faster, Motard or Sportbike, they are both a gas to ride. For the record, I was a half second slower on the CRF450 Motard than on my CBR600 around the tight Tradex course last year. But I have never really ridden a Motard so I am sure that I have plenty to learn. I need others to teach me. As for the $100, we are putting this day on for fun and not for money, I will be happy if we cover our expenses and will actually have to pull the pin on the day if it looks like we will take a loss of very much. I hope you guys can make it out. :thumbup

C

·
0 Posts
If I could get one of these with some lights on it, I'd sell my R1 in a second!

Trellis style frame, 450cc V-twin, mmmmmmmm....droooool

21 - 40 of 358 Posts