BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who's brought a bike up from down south?

Hey guys, I'm really trying to find a reasonably priced track only bike, and browsing the forums at supermotojunkie make my knees weak. So many good bikes for cheap, but so far away.

I've noticed a couple in the Seattle area though, and was wondering how many of you guys have brought a bike up from across the border and how difficult it was if it was an unlicensable track only bike? I'd imagine just duty and taxes and that's it, eh?

I'll be coming out there to visit in the spring, and I may just bring a bike up and then ship it back out here. That'd STILL be cheaper than finding a used dirtbike and converting it out in these parts. :laughing

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that site many times, and know of a couple people who've brought up plain old dirtbikes from Montana with no preparation, and just paid their tax at the border and been on their way. Really easy, and I don't think they even had the three things that RIV states:
Restricted-use motorcycles
- Recall clearance letter
- Off-road statement label
- Reflectors

I guess I'm more wondering why you BC boys aren't bringing up cheap bikes left and right instead and flooding the west coast Canadian market for us saps two provinces over to come get! :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have. Did everything that RIV told me to do, by the letter. Got it through no problems. I guess I didn't want to risk not having proper documentation. It would really suck to have a bike on the back of a pickup truck and meet a not so pleasant customs officer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Absolutely, especially if you had to drive it all the way back to where you got it or it was seized on the spot(they would give you the options to take it back, wouldn't they?).
Was yours street legal SilverSV? The SV?

·
Registered
371 Posts
It wasn't my present bike, it was my first bike. Yes, street legal.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
If this is for off road only then the riv stuff doesn't apply. But for heaven's sake make sure that it says "for off road use only" on the bike someplace. Otherwise if it has street lights and stuff then you'll never get it in except with the riv documents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts