BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a couple shops.... maybe it's just my imagination, but attractive females are disproportionately staffed in accessories departments.

I'm not saying I have a problem looking at attractive women. And I'm not inferring that I know whether any particular staff deserves to be there or not. For all I know, it's possible they are all pro racers or the most qualified for the job... like ALL OF THEM over everyone else that applied.

However, I'll say it makes me slightly uncomfortable because it almost borders on exploitation or objectification. And on a slightly lesser tone, a couple have no idea what they're talking about, like "do you even ride?". They will tell me I like great in a jacket or that a pair of pants fits well but the minute I have a real question they'll just toss me over to someone behind the parts counter.

Has anyone else noticed this lopsided staffing? And if it's not just my imagination. Does this actually sell more *hit? Like are motorcyclists so simple minded that we need some boobs in our face to buy what we were gonna buy anyways? :2cents

PS. I'm all for more female riders, it's the Cat's Pajamas. I've just been annoyed. When I come to shop I'm all bizness I don't appreciate shops trying to pull shit or "use" girls.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,822 Posts

so... did you get her number?

...or did you submit your application?

·
Registered
7 Posts
hahahahahaha that's some sort of research you have done. :evilgrin

It's -+ more attraction ++ -- repels type of the things different stores use to attract the customer.

Do send me complete details on what stores you have noticed that:devillook

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Lol, I guess in general attractive chick's should equal more sales in testosterone driven sports. :p

But I haven't had the same experience. The few shops I've been to there were ALL DUDES.
I really want some boobies in my face when I shop. :(

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Lemme guess, they all turned down your charm? Ever thought of it the other way around? Maybe girls like bikes, bike stuff, and the guys that ride them. No different than a guy wanting to work at a yoga studio where its dominated by women.

·
Registered Abuser
1,370 Posts
how is it relevant whether they ride, what they ride, how they ride, how much they ride? Now don't get me wrong, I'm way happier if I know that the person in the shop is an enthusiast in the sport but in no way is that a necessity for me to shop there. When it comes to accessories (more often than not apparel) the shop clerks experience isn't relevant to me unless they're a similar size/body type as me, they ride in similar conditions and have extensive riding experience with ALL of the brands they sell. Most of the time this isn't the case regardless of the gender of the clerk.

What I really like and respect is a business that invests the time in product knowledge for their staff. Unfortunately I haven't seen that in too many stores regardless of the gender of the sales person. Having some guy tell me "I use that ______ myself!" well whoop de doo! Tell me about the features and benefits, tell me about the relative quality of construction, tell me about how the item fits and how others in the category fit, tell me about how many you've seen back on warranty for issues.

Until I find a local shop with an employee with this knowledge, I guess I'll have to flip to a different window in my browser and "watch, decide and ride".......

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well .... I would rather have a good looking gal serve me than a dude but she's got to know her stuff.

The now defunct Harbour City Motorsports in Nanaimo used to have great gals in accessories.

One place I check out (in the Okanagan) has a gal in the accessory department but a couple times she was too busy hugging up her boyfriend to help people. That turned me off.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I usually spend sometime with anthony from revzilla tv where I watch, decide then ride...to the nearest motorcycle store that holds the product Iv researched in stock. In and out no questions asked other than "where are your guy's backpacks...gloves...pants" etc. Then its over to the showroom floor to sit on brand new bimmers or gixxers while I make revving noises.

·
Insert User Title Here.
4,868 Posts
First day of rain in a gazillion years, and these threads come out. Surprise, surprise.

OP, probably 85% male customer base = about 85% female sales force. Welcome to earth lol

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
it's retail... what does motorcycles have to do with it.. almost every store is dominated by ladies.. from walmart to chapters. retail is a more or less a womans job.. kind of like flagging.

no shop is 'using' girls... also no shop is gonna pay a guy 20+ bucks an hour to sit there and sell shit.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Maybe girls like bikes, bike stuff, and the guys that ride them. No different than a guy wanting to work at a yoga studio where its dominated by women.
wait a second, you may be on to something, nahh that cant be it :laughing

personally when it comes to gear and such i do find women have more on an eye for detail than dudes, it appears a guy will try to 'befriend you'

and kinda try to convince you he's cool too so you'll buy from him, sure good looking girls have the upper hand when it comes to guys shopping

for obvious reasons but in the end if they get better sales, its very likely cause they're better at the task :2cents

·
Registered
794 Posts
OP must not get out much. Pretty much everywhere you go, sex / attractiveness sells. From corporate webpages, trade shows, ads on TV, restaurants, to sporting events. That's just the way it is.

Even my wife prefers dealing with women in retail (including bike shops) because she can relate to them a bit better, and I'm happy 'cause there's lots to look at. I'm happy, wife is happy, business makes a sale. Win. Win. Win.

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
titties sell , nothing new...........whats your favorite brand of oil and why

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,281 Posts
Go to the Orrange pub in Coquitlam and then come back to this thread to post your reviews. Pretty much every girl working there is an 8 or higher. Sex sells. Nothing new.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts