BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a short ride to UBC and on my way back from Kingsway to Marine Drive on Victoria Drive, a 5.0L Mustang kept on teasing me to race with him on the slow lane while I'm on the fast lane. Sigh... When a car in front of him get in his way, he cut right behind me and get back to the slow lane and boost it until we were level again, driving recklessly. I kept my cool and ride at 65 clicks all the way try to signal him I care less about him, but he just don't get it.... sigh x2....

Racing in city is dangerous, not to mention with traffics, even it's night time, and Vancouver road sucks big time.

Yet racing a bike is even more stupid. With a twist of a throttle, a bike will be vanished in front of their eyes, I guess if one don't ride, one won't understand the power of bike.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm convinced that a lot of the times they just want to see you launch so they can say "cooool" to their buddies. I don't think they actually think they can win.... i mean.... thats just silly ;)

-arai-

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember my instructor once told our class, there were two kind of people you don't want to race. One kind is whom drive a mustang, and the other kind is people with tons of bouncing figure glued to their dash board or couple stuff animal hanging on their rear view mirror. Even though you win, you will then wipe out by them afterwards. While the rest of the people, they know better not to mess with a bike.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
heh i really find it ironic that my cheapie kat will beat most of the cars out there. In fact it makes me feel pretty damn good. Not that i've ever raced anyone. But damn, it feels good to have all that power.

B

·
0 Posts
xenz said:
Went for a short ride to UBC and on my way back from Kingsway to Marine Drive on Victoria Drive
Do you ride with a blue jacket and a back pack? I think i waved to you by Malone's by Kits.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bluestone, sorry, it wasn't me, I was wearing a silver helmet and silver jacket at the time.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Victoria drive, eh? Oh yeah that's a safe place to race :rolleyes

And aria, I think you'd be surprised how many out there just have NO idea how much power we have available. Those 5 liter mustangs or Civics with mags honestly think they can beat our "little" bikes even nowadays.

I havn't had this happen to me in decades (the candy green scrares then away I guess :D ) But I'd do the same thing you did or shake my head negative and live with the jeering. I might be the butt of their jibes but at least my license and bod would be intact.

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
these guys don't seem to understand the concept of power to weight ratios:laughing

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
happens to me quite often when i took the bike to school during term 1:D ... always on the highway into ubc, either 41st or 4ave.
but it's way too dangerous to teach those fockers a lesson :(
the best is when ppl with exotic cars pull up beside and just smile or give you the thumbs up

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
There is just something about bikes I guess, little kids want to see wheelies, old people want to shake their fists, and young adults want to race.

But some people may just be trying to get a better look. I do the same thing when I am driving a car, if I see a cool bike I will accelerate to try and pull even and check the bike out. Or the same thing with a cool car. Someone could misenterpret this a wanting to race, but I just like nice bikes and cars.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Ya know this reminds me of a time when I was stopped at a light and a Guy in a toyota tercel pulled up to me with his window down and said wanna race with a grin on his face. It was the typical ricer car with the blacked out signals and crome hubcaps along with self done window tint that was starting to peel off. Anyway I thought to myself, this guy's gotta be joking. And so I asked him how much horse power his car produced and he said, "I dont know, around 95 I think". Then I replied to him, "Well I have around 100". Guy says oh and rolls up his window. I thought that was pretty funny. I had more power than his car did :laughing

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
I had a Dodge Stealth come up on me. The guy looked over and smirked. As you can guess, he had his "HOT" girlfriend with him. The guy tried to run on me, but down two and a handful of throttle stopped that real quick. I passed him like he was standing still. Funny thing is, I slowed down to the speed limit and he wouldn't come up. I guess he was embarassed. Too bad, the blonde was a hottie...

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
had a guy with a new mustang cobra do that to me in the summer so i gave him a 5 car headstart and then beat him by 11 car lengths...man was his face red and his girlfriend could not stop laughing at his stupidity, he couldn't believe the bike was stock

·
Registered
465 Posts
Its all good fellow riders .. Ppl know bikes can kill most cars, they just love checking out your ride. Its like seeing a movie star on the street eating ice cream .. U go up to them and start taking pictures.

Man the best time was in Westvan area ... Pimping Mustang Cobra Convertible ... 5 white boys with ecko gear... toques, goggles... TV screens in the backseats ... chrome roll bar ... lowered ... 18" chrome rims ... its all good .. I am checking out their ride and they are checking out mine. A little fun to the next stop light .. we all know whats going on =)

First Avenue .. another convertible Mustang 5.0 .. 2 white boys .. must have had two 12" subs .. phat beats pumping .. my buddy starts dancing =) The guy turns up the volume!! He won the sound test (we had stock pipes) ... We won the speed test!!

Alone one night on Hastings heading up SFU ... Civic HB stops at a YELLOW light?? He was waiting for me. He revs with the HISS of a BLowoff valve .. FUKKIN TURBO !! 15" RAYS rims .. meters all over the interior .. custom paint .. weight reduction .. the guy opens his window and asks if I was doing anything tonight? No? alright follow me .. we end up riding around town for 40 mins ... his car was fast and handled very well. He was a good driver too.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I remember racing a corvette Zo6 on the highway and even that was not even a challenge We raced all the way to 240 Km/h and he let off cause I had a 12 car lead on him.;) I took it to 270 and it was still pulling pretty good. Mind you that is uncorrected speed;)

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Ryan R said:
Ya know this reminds me of a time when I was stopped at a light and a Guy in a toyota tercel pulled up to me with his window down and said wanna race with a grin on his face. It was the typical ricer car with the blacked out signals and crome hubcaps along with self done window tint that was starting to peel off. Anyway I thought to myself, this guy's gotta be joking. And so I asked him how much horse power his car produced and he said, "I dont know, around 95 I think". Then I replied to him, "Well I have around 100". Guy says oh and rolls up his window. I thought that was pretty funny. I had more power than his car did :laughing
hey my corolla has 90!
it rules :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts