BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:2cents Say we want to only have one individual on our insurance policy. So that I'm the only one that can drive my cars/bikes. Then wouldn't it make sense that I only pay one rate for any number of vehicles I own? Seeing as I can only physically drive one at a time.

Have more motorcycles/cars does not increase my risk. I think it's a total cash grab for people who have more than one vehicle. - I only thought of this today, because I wanted to get a cafe racer, but there's no way I could afford insurnace on my car, sportbike, and a cafe racer!

Argh.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
What a novel concept

·
Registered
904 Posts
uuummmm you realize you live in BC right ? Its a fantasy land filled with big government over paid people and pinko commies :eek

·
Registered
286 Posts
2013 Passat (all year round)
2011 Jetta (all year round)
2002 Camaro SS (3 months)
2006 BMW K1200R (6 months)
2009 Suzuki M109R (3 months)
2008 TW200 (all year round)

...too bad I couldn't get a dealer plate and choose each day what I want to drive...I hate our insurance system

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
You could always move to somewhere that has the kind of insurance you speak of.

·
Self-proclaimed VIP
875 Posts
i know this is an anti-bscb response where everyone hates the government, but it's because your rates differ depending on the vehicle you're driving.

here's an example: you own a 99 sunfire that you bought for $300 (i know it's possible - i bought one for my ex last year) and you don't have collision or comprehensive on it; your insurance will be cheap. when you hit someone and wreck their car, icbc only has to pay the repair for the car you wrecked. now, say you buy a ducati 848 as well, and you want your baby insured for everything possible (theft, fire, collision). let's ignore the risk difference for a second... when you smash your 848 into a car, icbc not only has to pay for their car but for your bike as well... this is why you gotta pay more for the 848.

sure. they could combine the sunfire and the 848 onto one piece of paper, but that's way too much work when you decide that the 848 won't cut it and you want a 1199 panigale instead. or when you decide to uninsure the 848 for the winter. or when you want your daughter driving your piece of shit sunfire.

i don't think you've put too much thought into this... in your ideal world, every person has one insurance policy for all their vehicles... now, if i'm sharing my car with my gf, should both of us pay insurance on the same vehicle? only one of us can drive it at a time....

·
BannedSpammer
3,339 Posts
You're missing the point of the OP's post.

This has nothing to do with collision, comprehensive, etc. Do you think insurance is just all about the vehicles? Hell no. FAR from it. Liability insurance, while it does cover repairing the other person's vehicle, sure, is much more about you being a liability for injury claims. So the OP is suggesting that if he was insured in a way that his vehicles could ONLY be driven by himself, therefore he can only be in one at a time, then why should he have to pay more than one set of liability premiums when only one vehicle can be a liability on the road at a time? Makes sense to me, and many others, and this is why BCCOM is (i believe) making a push for transferrable plates for bikes with ICBC.

You've taken what he was trying to say, twisted it into how you've interpreted it, and then chastised him for not making sense, when the issue is that you haven't understood him. "In your ideal world every person has one insurance policy..." - no, he's not saying EVERY person should be insured that way. Nor is he talking about a situation where he wants his daughter driving his piece of shit sunfire, nor about sharing his car with his gf.

He's simply suggesting that in the situation where a single person owns multiple vehicles and is the only person driving them, he should have the option of only having to pay one liability premium, since he can only operate one vehicle at a time. If he wants his gf, kid, mistress, whomever else driving the vehicle, it's quite simple....he goes into the insurance agent and says "I'm no longer the sole operator of my vehicles", and they change his policy, and he pays more money.

·
Self-proclaimed VIP
875 Posts
Oh. Well, if we're talking about liability, I actually have much less liability insurance on my bike than I do on my car... I figure the bike can't do as much damage.. that said, one premium of the higher liability cost would be nice. Too bad it's not like that

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
I think there was a proposal for multi vehicle owners to pay the highest value to insure of your fleet. So everything below would be over-insured. They do have a fleet policy now for 5 or more but the way I was told it works sucks cause if you crash one then everything on the policy takes a hit. I am waiting since I insure 5 things a year.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well you dont - if they are trailers, and all classified as UBLT.....enough said.....:devillook

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Switzerland works like this too, where you can float plates between vehicles without problem.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Because they want MOOOOOO money..

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
We asked about a "fleet discount" when we insured our last vehicle, lol. I wish.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not a broker - maybe one can chime in - I think you have to have 5 vehicles for a fleet - and that can't include motorcycle plates but can include trailers I understood...

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
I am not a broker - maybe one can chime in - I think you have to have 5 vehicles for a fleet - and that can't include motorcycle plates but can include trailers I understood...
If that's the case, we'd qualify then, lol.

·
570 Posts
If that's the case, we'd qualify then, lol.
Fleet insurance is available for 5 or more vehicles that are insured primarily for business use. There is no fleet insurance for individual vehicle owners who choose to own a large number of vehicles for everyday use (ie to and from work or school, and recreation).

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
Fleet insurance is available for 5 or more vehicles that are insured primarily for business use. There is no fleet insurance for individual vehicle owners who choose to own a large number of vehicles for everyday use (ie to and from work or school, and recreation).
Yeah, we know that, but we joke with our insurance broker about it nonetheless. We still have several vehicles to register/insure in BC, and we've been to the agent so many times that we know everyone there, lol.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Does such a place exist?
Not sure if it was this site (most likely not since none have chimed in) but one fellow from the states had 26 (or so) bikes insured cheaper than we can insure 2. Only owner to operate from what I remember.

With their sue crazy culture, I am surprised they have cheaper insurance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts